Author Topic: 75% Wireless with ISO Layout?  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Rocket-T

75% Wireless with ISO Layout?
« on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 16:12:33 »
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a 75% Keyboard that I can build or mod that has bluetooth or wireless connection and has a ISO layout.
At the beginning I thought I could buy a RK84 but I'm not sure if this is the right one and if it is possible to mod it to ISO layout.

I Love the look of the GMMK Pro with the nob, but I would like to have a bluetooth option.
The GMMK Pro with Bluetooth would be perfect but I guess something like this is not on the market.
Can anyone help me here, maybe you guys have a suggestion what to do or maybe there is another board that I don't know that would fit my needs.

Thanks for the help.
Cheers, Rocket

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: 75% Wireless with ISO Layout?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 18:07:58 »
There's very few wireless mechanical keyboards bluetooth or otherwise, 75% is one of the least popular formats, and then you want ISO as well.
If you find any that match your request it's probably the only one.

Unless you absolutely need wireless my recommendation is to give up on that.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Rocket-T

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 00:39:49 »
Oh No, that sounds bad for me.
Is there maybe one of I extend my search to 100% board?
Would it be possible to reconfigure the rk84 and put iso keykaps on that board? Cheers Tommy.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 03:55:18 »
Oh No, that sounds bad for me.
Is there maybe one of I extend my search to 100% board?
Would it be possible to reconfigure the rk84 and put iso keykaps on that board? Cheers Tommy.
100% is more likely, but only by a small amount because they cost more and many wireless mechanicals are done by smaller companies who find it easier/cheaper and therefore less risky to do smaller boards. You're actually more likely to find what you want in 60% than 100%. Unfortunately smaller companies are less able to do wireless well.

The chances of switching a board from ANSI to ISO is slim, some companies use the same pcb but not all and with the progression of hot swap, this becomes even less and less likely as hot swap makes it pretty much impossible.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 04:29:18 »
although i remember that peoples made ps/2 and USB to Bluetooth converter on hackaday
like this one https://hackaday.com/2016/09/04/convert-any-usb-keyboard-to-bluetooth/
if you really what a 75% iso that could be a solution.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 10:46:30 »
wireless = lag..

ONLY LOGITECH has done it right.  Unless you want logitech,  forget wireless.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 16:32:31 »
Unless you want logitech,  forget wireless. [/size][/color]
Pretty much how I deal with wireless.

No wireless peripheral I've owned could match the stability, reliability and performance of Logitech wireless.
Not saying they're horrible and useless, but my bluetooth ipad speaker cutting out a few times a week for a few seconds while listening to music is not the same as my keyboard cutting out mid fight.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Rocket-T

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 06:50:20 »
I do get that point but I'm not a gamer, I'm a designer and engineer. If it from time to time got a second delay I will probably don't realize it. Could I switch the key caps on the Logitech board if I decide to go with Logitech?
Which of the boards out here (except keychron and royal kludge) are wireless and ISO that I could use (even is wireless is bad).

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 16:56:15 »
It's not necessarily just a 1 second delay they can completely disconnect requiring you to start the pairing process from the start, my Mac with Sierra or High Sierra would do this to my Logitech Anywhere 2 and then refuse to reconnect without a restart and then spend 5-20 minutes trying to get it to pair again. The mouse was fine, it was just a terribly buggy bluetooth implementation by Apple that they never bothered to fix, other MacOs variants worked fine, Windows worked fine, Linux worked fine, other computers worked fine, it was only that version of MacOS that had an issue. My HP bluetooth mouse would fail to connect on wake regardless of OS, the only fix for that was to pull the batteries (a pain) or replace the bluetooth module in the laptop to a  different bluetooth version. In this case the mouse's bluetooth was poorly implemented and didn't like certain connections. Yet another mouse wouldn't work on any laptop without bluetooth 4.0 low power (this was part of the HP issue), I think this was a Dell mouse. I've seen glitchy movement as well on some wireless, others had extremely short range or they had interference. It's not like these parts were low end or unknown brands either.

Keychron, and I believe RK are pretty similar, and the Keychron is known to be EXTREMELY tall in front, it's at the very limit of ergonomic standards. You will likely require a wrist rest to keep from carpal tunnel issues, many have complained about it. My big thick all aluminum Filco, even with thick feet on the bottom is still several mm lower at the front switches. It's a thick boy. The "aluminum" case is also just a skin over the plastic case and the skin can mess with the wireless signals.

Logitech uses their own switches, which are not compatible with any caps and switches but their own.

As for other recommendations, I don't follow the wireless keyboard side, for one, there's so few options and secondly those that do exist I don't trust enough to recommend unless it's Logitech, which I wouldn't buy because of the switches. I do follow the wireless mouse side though (I only use wireless mice) and while I have had piles of mice the only ones that stick around are once again, Logitech. It's not that I like the company necessarily, but they spent a lot of time and effort getting wireless right.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline hei_zen

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 08:32:13 »
I'm in the same boat, looking for something like a GMMK Pro, but wireless.

With good wireless mice now being faster than wired ones (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy0xmcBg_IY&t=233s), I think its just a matter of time, till we get decent custom wireless keyboards.

If you absolutely need a small wireless keyboard, the Razer Blackwidow V3 Hyperspeed Mini might be an interim solution. Its in 65% form factor, you can connect it via Bluetooth, cable and "Razer Hyperspeed Wireless".