Author Topic: Which keyboard should I use for Norbaforce Mark II?  (Read 1258 times)

Offline AW_Keyboard

Which keyboard should I use for Norbaforce Mark II?
« on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 09:00:36 »
Hello, I am new to this community, sorry if I asked a duplicated question.
I am looking for my goal - Norbaforce Mark II, MT3 keycap, probably with BKE redux light domes and deskey#3
If I am going to mod anyway, should I start with RF R2 RGB TKL instead of R2 TKL due to the cherry MX keycaps compatibility? I am not sure if R2 is better than R2 RGB in terms of build quality?
Thank you for your advice!

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: Which keyboard should I use for Norbaforce Mark II?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 14:04:48 »
I'm going through this process myself actually. I'm starting with an 87u, painting the plate white, swapping deskeys sliders, domes, and o-rings -- the works. Here's the thread if you're curious. I'm waiting on the Deskeys stabs to be released and Norbaforce to ship before making any other changes.

That said, I would recommend starting with an R2 RGB just for MX compat like you mentioned. I haven't had the chance to type on one myself, but they seem fairly well received. I'm just going the "long way around" because I love my 87u and want to carry the typing experience over.

If you're not trying to replicate a typing experience, I'd just jump straight to the newest revision.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 September 2021, 14:06:24 by _rubik »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline AW_Keyboard

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 23:38:09 »
Thanks Rubik :)
I think I will go for R2 since I am quite worried about the RGB will affect the typing experience and I will wait for the deskey slider to be released.
Thank you for your advice.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 00:17:56 »
Thanks Rubik :)
I think I will go for R2 since I am quite worried about the RGB will affect the typing experience and I will wait for the deskey slider to be released.
Thank you for your advice.

I'm not sure how different the R2 and R2 RGB are in terms of typing feel (I'm guessing they aren't that different), but I might go with the RGB if I were you. MX compatible Topre stabs have always been sub-optimal, and we have no promises the new Deskeys stabs will be any better. Not to mention spacebar support  :eek:

I'd recommend you hop onto the Deskeys discord and ask around in the des-sliders channel. You'll probably find someone with more hands-on experience with R2 boards that can better address your concerns.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u