geekhack Community > Keyboards

Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)

<< < (3366/3374) > >>

user 18:

--- Quote from: ShangWang on Thu, 11 November 2021, 12:22:06 ---
--- Quote from: user 18 on Thu, 11 November 2021, 12:20:00 ---
I'd recommend a Q-tip or similar cotton swab, if you're trying to clean something through a small gap like that. Bit easier to control than a paper towel, in my experience.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Q-tips in your opinion don't have much of an issue with leaving cotton pieces behind? Would you dip it in 99% isopropyl alcohol or is 70% fine on PCB?

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't start off dipping it in anything if I was trying to use it to wipe up grease. My understanding is that higher alcohol % is safer for electronics, and iFixit agrees: https://www.ifixit.com/News/36877/ask-ifixit-everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-isopropyl-alcohol

Both paper towel and cotton swabs have the potential to leave behind lint. I'm not concerned about a little bit of nonconductive debris, since dust and such will accumulate anyway, unless you're cleaning your board very frequently. In my experience, good-quality swabs leave behind little lint, particularly if you're not applying strong pressure, but a good-quality paper towel will leave less lint than a poor-quality swab.

ShangWang:
Makes sense, I'll probably start dipping to clean the residue leftover after wiping.

ShangWang:
I have the HyperX Alloy FPS Pro.

I accidently got some dead skin in the circuit board through the tiny gaps in the switches, is this an issue? I was trying to blow away some particles and maybe it went inside but I'm not sure.

If it did go inside, is it possible for any issues to occur, and if not is it not worth the hassle to clean? My keyboard is plate mounted so it would take a lot of work.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hyperx-alloy-fps-rgb-pb-keycaps/5.html

Also sorry if this should be obvious can anyone else confirm that there is a hidden screw on EACH upper rubber foot of the keyboard indicated in the site in the 2nd picture? I only see an image for one corner and I'm not sure if there's one on the other corner.

This video shows only the right rubber pad is removed, not the other one:

jimbalaja:
I've been wanting to get a proper board now for a while. I've experimented enough on my sk-61 on lubing stabs and switches and all the mods I could find on the internet. But at the end of the day it's an sk-61. I can only take it to such an extent. So I'm ready to move on to something that's actually good. But I'm a little lost and I'm not sure what to buy. This is the list of things I'm looking for:

- General budget of $300 so probably a barebones of less or equal to $200
- TKL / 75% / 65%
- Hotswap
- Southfacing RGB
- Screw in stabs
- Aluminum case
- Gasket mount would be cool
- polycarbonate or brass plate would also be cool.

I already have my switches picked out, probably alpacas. I'm gonna get durok stabs and Krytox. Haven't decided on the keycaps yet but probably pbt, idk if I have the budget for gmk.

I've looked at the GMMK Pro and Keychron q1. I like the Q1 the best out of all I've seen but it's out of stock right now and I have until January to make this build.

Are there any other options that you guys can tell me about?

MIGHTY CHICKEN:

--- Quote from: jimbalaja on Sat, 20 November 2021, 10:48:23 ---I've been wanting to get a proper board now for a while. I've experimented enough on my sk-61 on lubing stabs and switches and all the mods I could find on the internet. But at the end of the day it's an sk-61. I can only take it to such an extent. So I'm ready to move on to something that's actually good. But I'm a little lost and I'm not sure what to buy. This is the list of things I'm looking for:

- General budget of $300 so probably a barebones of less or equal to $200
- TKL / 75% / 65%
- Hotswap
- Southfacing RGB
- Screw in stabs
- Aluminum case
- Gasket mount would be cool
- polycarbonate or brass plate would also be cool.

I already have my switches picked out, probably alpacas. I'm gonna get durok stabs and Krytox. Haven't decided on the keycaps yet but probably pbt, idk if I have the budget for gmk.

I've looked at the GMMK Pro and Keychron q1. I like the Q1 the best out of all I've seen but it's out of stock right now and I have until January to make this build.

Are there any other options that you guys can tell me about?

--- End quote ---
Sounds like those are all your options, RGB and hotswap pretty much rules out most everything else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version