geekhack Community > Keyboards

Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)

<< < (3368/3374) > >>

ShangWang:

--- Quote from: suicidal_orange on Sun, 28 November 2021, 12:45:00 ---A single bend in a cable is not a problem, if you keep bending and straightening it the wires inside will snap and the connection will be lost.

As to the plugging and unplugging it that sounds like the cable fits in a USB port on the board?  If so you're putting too much pressure on it (maybe the cable is heavy) if you do this too much the port will break and you'll have to take the keyboard apart and replace the port.

--- End quote ---

I see, thanks. I'm thinking maybe the wires in the cable are not fully reinforced and may just not conduct electricity as well if moved. I don't put any pressure on the cable, I just lift my keyboard up and it briefly disconnects SOMETIMES.

suicidal_orange:
Definitely sounds like a weak port (assuming the cable is not fixed)  If it is you could open the keyboard up and add some epoxy to hold the port in place, or maybe buy a right angle adaptor and glue it to the back of the board?

ShangWang:
Assuming the port is weak is probably the case, the cable is able to wobble up and down a bit if I push up or down on it, but it's still securely plugged in at least.

I don't think it's worth the trouble, as long as this is a common case with keyboards and can be ignored if the keyboard functions fine normally.

user 18:

--- Quote from: ShangWang on Thu, 18 November 2021, 15:30:33 ---I have the HyperX Alloy FPS Pro.

I accidently got some dead skin in the circuit board through the tiny gaps in the switches, is this an issue? I was trying to blow away some particles and maybe it went inside but I'm not sure.

If it did go inside, is it possible for any issues to occur, and if not is it not worth the hassle to clean? My keyboard is plate mounted so it would take a lot of work.

--- End quote ---

If the board is still functioning normally, probably not worth taking it apart. To get in between the plate and PCB would likely require desoldering, and there's always a risk of lifting pads, etc. when you do that.

Bits of dead skin is a component of regular dust, I wouldn't be too worried about that.

--- Quote from: ShangWang on Mon, 22 November 2021, 15:58:59 ---I noticed that nearly all cherry/switch stabilizers require a PCB cut out under the spacebar for the wires to be inserted, but regular costars do not.

PCB https://imgur.com/a/udH1ywn

No PCB https://imgur.com/a/1cvYnct

Does EVERY keyboard with switch stabilizers need this cut out? Are there keyboards out there that are able to insert the wire without the need for this cut out, and if not why?
Would this cut out serve issues with dust/grease/grime getting into the PCB and causing issues?

--- End quote ---

I don't think that's a mandatory cutout for PCB mount Cherry stabilizers. I have one of these that I'm 90% sure I used PCB mount Cherrys for. It did complicate assembly a bit, since the stabilizers had to be added before the first switch. I'd be surprised if any commercial boards would make that tradeoff.

What issues are you experiencing with dust/grease/grime? Unless you're in a very dirty environment with a lot of conductive dust, I wouldn't expect to see any functional issues.

ShangWang:

--- Quote from: user 18 on Thu, 02 December 2021, 16:00:41 ---
What issues are you experiencing with dust/grease/grime? Unless you're in a very dirty environment with a lot of conductive dust, I wouldn't expect to see any functional issues.

--- End quote ---
No issues, just curious thank you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version