Author Topic: Zowie FK 2014 Mouse Unboxing and Review  (Read 54401 times)

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
Re: Zowie FK 2014 Mouse Unboxing and Review
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 14:43:48 »
Thanks for the detailed review!

I am tempted to buy one now :)

I recommend it, I've been enjoying mine for the past 2 months (actually received it Mar. 25) and haven't had any problems so far.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 16:25:32 »
Just want to throw in another data point - I bought this mouse on Feb 20th (according to Amazon) and the surface under the right button has started to flake.  Sent a support request to Zowie and we'll see what happens.

It's a shame because I like this mouse even more than the MX518 it replaced which I already thought was pretty great.

They recently made an official acknowledgment of the issue, and recommended returning models that have the issue to the place of purchase if possible. I know of one user who hadn't had success contacting Zowie through their RMA process, so it may be another option if there's no response.

I have a tiny flap now on the back of my new Zowie FK after a couple weeks of use, so I'm beginning to expect the peeling is inherent to the type of coating Zowie used. After the cost involved with the whole process I was hoping it may have been different, but I've just had to accept it. Most matte surface mice apparently share similar coatings, but it did come as a surprise to several how fickle the coating on the FK can be  :rolleyes:

It's a great mouse otherwise, and I'll continue to check back in case anything major happens, but I'm not too concerned.

Zowie never responded to my RMA request I submitted online.  Amazon gave me a refund after I contacted them even though I was outside the return window and did not have any of the original packing so...hurray Amazon customer service.  I ordered another one because I like the mouse so much, but if it happens again I'm probably going to try the Deathadder 2013 even though I dislike backlighting.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 12:58:02 »
Nice review!

Have you had any problems with this mouse?

Might want to read the rest of the thread  :thumb:

Zowie never responded to my RMA request I submitted online.  Amazon gave me a refund after I contacted them even though I was outside the return window and did not have any of the original packing so...hurray Amazon customer service.

Yeah, someone on OCN was having difficulty contacting Zowie for an RMA, which to me seems as though it has become a significant problem that they've simply recommended returning to the place of purchase instead. Glad you could get a replacement.

As for my own micro update there's now another small peeling flap on the back and one on right mouse button that has appeared recently.

Offline exousia

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 20:06:08 »
Just wanted to pop in to say that this mouse has been fantastic for me in the last year in UT2004! No wheel squeeking to speak of here. The shame is lovely and goes great with my black Artisan ZERO pad. From what I've read optimal tracking is at the highest dpi on this mouse and that is what I use. Cheers!

Offline Coreda

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 06:08:05 »
Just wanted to pop in to say that this mouse has been fantastic for me in the last year in UT2004! No wheel squeeking to speak of here. The shame is lovely and goes great with my black Artisan ZERO pad. From what I've read optimal tracking is at the highest dpi on this mouse and that is what I use. Cheers!

Great to hear  ;D

Offline geniekid

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 16:22:34 »
Just want to throw in another data point - I bought this mouse on Feb 20th (according to Amazon) and the surface under the right button has started to flake.  Sent a support request to Zowie and we'll see what happens.

It's a shame because I like this mouse even more than the MX518 it replaced which I already thought was pretty great.

They recently made an official acknowledgment of the issue, and recommended returning models that have the issue to the place of purchase if possible. I know of one user who hadn't had success contacting Zowie through their RMA process, so it may be another option if there's no response.

I have a tiny flap now on the back of my new Zowie FK after a couple weeks of use, so I'm beginning to expect the peeling is inherent to the type of coating Zowie used. After the cost involved with the whole process I was hoping it may have been different, but I've just had to accept it. Most matte surface mice apparently share similar coatings, but it did come as a surprise to several how fickle the coating on the FK can be  :rolleyes:

It's a great mouse otherwise, and I'll continue to check back in case anything major happens, but I'm not too concerned.

Zowie never responded to my RMA request I submitted online.  Amazon gave me a refund after I contacted them even though I was outside the return window and did not have any of the original packing so...hurray Amazon customer service.  I ordered another one because I like the mouse so much, but if it happens again I'm probably going to try the Deathadder 2013 even though I dislike backlighting.

Another update - my new Zowie FK has begun to flake after 1.5 months.  I'm keeping it this time because functionally it's still the best mouse I've ever used, but I will probably look for alternatives to Zowie for my next mouse.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 18:18:24 »

Another update - my new Zowie FK has begun to flake after 1.5 months.  I'm keeping it this time because functionally it's still the best mouse I've ever used, but I will probably look for alternatives to Zowie for my next mouse.

What happened?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline geniekid

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 18:24:05 »

What happened?

Same thing as the first one.  The surface coating is cracking and flaking off.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 18:36:25 »

Oh noes. I'm in the same boat as you in that regard, as I'll be keeping it but will probably consider something else down the line. Love the mouse otherwise.

The shame is lovely and goes great with my black Artisan ZERO pad.

BTW how did I not notice this gem of a typo last time, haha.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 19:36:15 »
Has anyone here gotten the latest model which is the FK1?

Slightly larger (casing) by 1 to 2mm (can you believe that) yet very little info about it's performance other than the usual Sales speech by paid off 'review-sites'.

Would be nice to see some info relating to the previous model and if it is indeed 'better' than was released earlier, I suspect it won't be unless you're a rabid Zowie-lover in which anything connected to that company should be brilliant (in their eyes only).

Although they still make the only traditional WMO1.1 style of casing (FK1) for the addicts out there.

Offline Johan

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 13:23:23 »
Apparently it uses the 3310 according to someone in TL's ultimate mouse thread. I considered getting it, but if the size has been increased, meh. I want to try the Roccat pure camo and a ec2 before I abandon the concept of having a non-ambidextrous mouse. Why do all the really nice mice have to be so expensive, I wish they cost as much as my xornet.
Uh, stuff.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 21:02:27 »
Mini update: I'd say about 1/5 of the mouth has peeled completely, just from general use. Terribad coating quality. Also the mouse buttons feel slightly stiffer after months of use, I can see why some would prefer lighter switches.

Haven't read up on the FK1, but they should really step up their quality if I'm going to be upgrading.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 22:05:16 »
After return 2 FK 2014s I've been using the FK1.  So far so good, but too early to tell...

Offline Coreda

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 02:33:38 »
After return 2 FK 2014s I've been using the FK1.  So far so good, but too early to tell...

Will be useful to know how it is after a few months.

Also the long (looooong) delayed Ninox Aurora mouse is finally shipping. Elrick made a thread about it a few weeks ago but a mod must have deleted the thread for whatever reason. Looking forward to the reviews.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 03:42:22 »
Also the long (looooong) delayed Ninox Aurora mouse is finally shipping. Elrick made a thread about it a few weeks ago but a mod must have deleted the thread for whatever reason. Looking forward to the reviews.

Would of gladly done the review when the Ninox came in but alas this place FORBIDS me ever to start any postings on Input Devices.  Suspect the admins have some sort of problem with me but I couldn't care less.

I shall post it in one of these sections hence they can't delete the thread because I never started it to begin with  ;) .  Although I spend more of my time at Overclock.net because there is far more interesting devices to see and read about than here.  Plus I can't be stopped from posting anything there, love that place now  :thumb: .

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:34:29 »
Has anyone here gotten the latest model which is the FK1?

Slightly larger (casing) by 1 to 2mm (can you believe that) yet very little info about it's performance other than the usual Sales speech by paid off 'review-sites'.

Would be nice to see some info relating to the previous model and if it is indeed 'better' than was released earlier, I suspect it won't be unless you're a rabid Zowie-lover in which anything connected to that company should be brilliant (in their eyes only).

Although they still make the only traditional WMO1.1 style of casing (FK1) for the addicts out there.

That would be me! I just got the FK1 this month month, been using it and I've been loving it.
It's great for CSGO. I also wondered about the difference in size, as I was coming from a Logitech G400.
I haven't the 2014 edition to tell you the difference, but just compared it with my old palmer.

One thing I can tell you is that it's still not ideal for palming , but rather, I grip it with all 5 fingers and a little bit of space between my palm and the mouse.
The sensor is very accurate and tracks incredibly well. Not quite as good as the newest sensor that is the G502's 3366, but it's the 3310 which is one of the best.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:50:05 by sorijealut »

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:00:13 »
Double post. Sorry guys!

But here's a comparison with the G400, and how I grip it.
http://imgur.com/a/MbDnP

Offline Coreda

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:03:55 »
Double post. Sorry guys!

Useful photos, cheers!

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:23:05 »
Double post. Sorry guys!

Useful photos, cheers!

No problem!
About the build quality, it was all well but a thin lining of missing or scratched paint that is almost invisible unless up close.
I noticed it right as I was unboxing. Not a huge problem at all though.

It's the little bit of whiteness you see on the edge of the left click.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:31:30 by sorijealut »

Offline usno_oj

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:31:55 »
Prior to my FK1, I've owned the G100, G400s, FK'14, and the DA'13. I can gladly say I prefer the FK1 over all. The G400s does come in as a close second, but the weight and ergonomics of the FK1 won me over.

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 03:06:50 »
"New mice" released by Zowie, the FK2...

Basically, it's just the same FK'14  :rolleyes:

More

« Last Edit: Tue, 02 December 2014, 03:08:40 by Lpwl »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 09:24:11 »
"New mice" released by Zowie, the FK2...

Basically, it's just the same FK'14  :rolleyes:

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Because twos are of course better  ^-^

Really though, they look identical. Maybe they updated the sensor or something.

Offline viskin

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 15:40:17 »
Is there are thread anywhere on the Zowie FK 2014 vs the Razer Imperator?

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 07:58:18 »
Is there are thread anywhere on the Zowie FK 2014 vs the Razer Imperator?

IMO you only need one sentence for that

Zowie FK 2014 over the Razer Imperator all day any day :D

Offline awts

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 10:55:52 »
l've been using the FK2 for a few weeks and it's seriously good for CS:GO. Received an FK1 earlier this week as a spare but have not unboxed. It seems the everything about the FK1 is the same but the slightly bigger size...  :D

I was a bit unfamiliar with the small size of the FK2 coming from the DA Chroma. Didn't really like having to do cloud settings for a mouse, hence decided to go for the driverless FK series. I must say the FKs should adopt the DA Chroma's uncoated rough surface. The rubbery touch is susceptible to peel and the flaky scroll wheel is kinda meh... Everything else is as good as it gets!  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Fri, 09 January 2015, 10:59:18 by awts »

Offline pro_LAPSE

• However, rays of nuclear!
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 02:07:43 »
l've been using the FK2 for a few weeks and it's seriously good for CS:GO. Received an FK1 earlier this week as a spare but have not unboxed. It seems the everything about the FK1 is the same but the slightly bigger size...  :D

I was a bit unfamiliar with the small size of the FK2 coming from the DA Chroma. Didn't really like having to do cloud settings for a mouse, hence decided to go for the driverless FK series. I must say the FKs should adopt the DA Chroma's uncoated rough surface. The rubbery touch is susceptible to peel and the flaky scroll wheel is kinda meh... Everything else is as good as it gets!  :thumb:

ooo csgo huh? Whats your MMR? And yeah. I love my fk1, that sensor is simply amazing. The switches are much more firm than my steelseries sensei raw rubberized. Works amazing and the driverless ferature of it is awesome. I am a pretty heavy user so we'll see how long it will last.

also, the fk2, from what I understand, is only alightly shorter than the fk1. Those are the only physical differences of the mice that I remember off the top of my head I was debating wether or not to purchase an fk2 myself, but the size difference isnt something I need right now.
#newuser
chopstick cruelty bleeds Aritzia creme.

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 23:45:23 »
Amazing high quality pictures! WOW. You should seriously review the Taiwanese Intellimouse 3.0 knock-offs. They are simply amazing (if you know where to look)!!

Offline Coreda

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 02:21:23 »
So after a measly two years and after a good 60% of the coating had peeled off (which happened much earlier) it seems the FK '14 is getting senile and sporadically clicking when no buttons have been touched. May have to do with recently dusting it but nonetheless can't say great things about its longevity compared to some mice, or the Huano switches that I began to find too stiff after prolonged use.

I'll either take it apart and see if anything fixes the problem or find a decent replacement. Suggestions welcome.

Amazing high quality pictures! WOW. You should seriously review the Taiwanese Intellimouse 3.0 knock-offs. They are simply amazing (if you know where to look)!!

Thanks :) About the Intellimouse knocks, are you saying they're comparable/better than the real thing?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 08:15:28 »
So after a measly two years and after a good 60% of the coating had peeled off (which happened much earlier) it seems the FK '14 is getting senile and sporadically clicking when no buttons have been touched. May have to do with recently dusting it but nonetheless can't say great things about its longevity compared to some mice, or the Huano switches that I began to find too stiff after prolonged use.

I'll either take it apart and see if anything fixes the problem or find a decent replacement. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks :) About the Intellimouse knocks, are you saying they're comparable/better than the real thing?

Care to post a pic? Been using two avior 7000's for a year now, one at work one at home. Nothing peeled off yet fortunately.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 00:46:13 »
Care to post a pic? Been using two avior 7000's for a year now, one at work one at home. Nothing peeled off yet fortunately.

Sure, took this shot earlier. Excuse the lighting/IQ, it was later in the day so the levels were brightened.

127279-0

Are the Aviors known for similar issues?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 06:37:33 »

Sure, took this shot earlier. Excuse the lighting/IQ, it was later in the day so the levels were brightened.

(Attachment Link)

Are the Aviors known for similar issues?

Absolutely not. I have 3. My GF, one for me, and one at the office. NEVER seen that. My Avior 7000's are still perfectly fine. No sign of obvious wear or tear. The only thing I see is some oil/grease where I click or have my thumb, but you can easily clean that. Scrollwheel is also still as new. All of them are 1 year in now.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 18:11:28 »
Absolutely not. I have 3. My GF, one for me, and one at the office. NEVER seen that. My Avior 7000's are still perfectly fine. No sign of obvious wear or tear. The only thing I see is some oil/grease where I click or have my thumb, but you can easily clean that. Scrollwheel is also still as new. All of them are 1 year in now.

May have to look more into the Mionix range, as for whatever reason I didn't pay them much attention when looking for a mouse previously. Found this useful comparison thread on GH between the two mice, and if the shape is similar it might be a worthwhile option.

I do like the relative simplicity and ambidextrous design of the Zowie compared to most gaming mice, which was another factor in my original choice. Looks like the Avior can be used with either hand thankfully.

What initially lead me to look into gaming-specific mice was actually just to find a decent mouse without angle snapping, prediction, etc. Remarkably even among gaming mice it can still be an issue, as I found out when I first bought a SteelSeries Kinzu only to discover it had the 'feature' of angle-snapping.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 February 2016, 18:22:33 by Coreda »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 18:29:35 »

May have to look more into the Mionix range, as for whatever reason I didn't pay them much attention when looking for a mouse previously. Found this useful comparison thread on GH between the two mice, and if the shape is similar it might be a worthwhile option.

I do like the relative simplicity and ambidextrous design of the Zowie compared to most gaming mice, which was another factor in my original choice. Looks like the Avior can be used with either hand thankfully.

What initially lead me to look into gaming-specific mice was actually just to find a decent mouse without angle snapping, prediction, etc. Remarkably even among gaming mice it can still be an issue, as I found out when I first bought a SteelSeries Kinzu only to discover it had the 'feature' of angle-snapping.

You should look over on hardforum for more tests / reviews for the Avior 7000. I know I did back before making my purchase. AFAIK the Avior 7000 has none of the issues you describe. The only issue I've found that the laser is not as strong as with other mice, which may lead to tracking issues on some surfaces. But this was only documented for 2-3 cases. I have used my mouse on almost all surfaces: light, dark, wood, plastic, mat and no-mat and have not come across this issue for more than a year.