geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

black replacement key for a model M13?

(1/2) > >>

gocantor:
Dear all,

In my search for an IBM keyboard I came across this black M13 which appears to be in okay shape (with the exception of the trackpoint buttons, which I don't care about much). Unfortunately, the 'enter' key is broken and needs to be replaced. The M13 has one piece keys.

Any idea where I could find this item? Already checked with Brandon at clickykeyboards.com and they don't carry any black keys...  I might be able to glue it back but that would be rather ugly.  Help! ;-)

EDIT: checked with Unicomp, no black replacement keys either.

Thanks, G

Chaoticmass:
Ouch. I always wanted an M13. Bummer to get one and yet have a problem with it.

gocantor:
Slightly broader question: what type of keys does the M13 take? Should I expect to be able to install a regular M 'enter' on it? (not black)

rootwyrm:

--- Quote from: gocantor;397078 ---Slightly broader question: what type of keys does the M13 take? Should I expect to be able to install a regular M 'enter' on it? (not black)
--- End quote ---

The M13 uses standard M family keystems and caps except G and H keys for obvious reasons. The B key has no cutout on genuine M13s. I've swapped keystems from Unicomp M5-2s to IBM built M13s. There's one exception, but it's so rare, you're more likely to find a Northgate Evolution. Almost all M13s are one-piece keys because of the G/H cutout, but they will accept the two-piece assemblies.
Edit: Wups, just looked. Turns out, at one point, IBM or Unicomp did do a cutout on the B key. But it's definitely unnecessary. My daily M13s do not have the B cutout.

gocantor:
Thanks for the detailed review!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version