geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Keyboard without any noise up to 20 kHz

(1/4) > >>

Zathras1:
Hello,

I am looking for a gaming-keyboard, that does not emit any noise up to 20 kHz. Is there any?
The following keyboards do emit such (very unpleasant) noise:
- Steelseries Apex Pro
- Corsair K100 RGB
- Cherry MX 10.0 N RGB
- Logitech G513

The noise can be measured easily objectively by any modern smartphone.
Here for instance
"Galaxy XCover 6 Pro" and the app "Spectroid"
Just check the keyboard and you'lkl see, if you can't listen,

There are also computer mice, which emit highfrequency noise:
- Logitech G Pro
- Razer Naga Trinity
- Razer DeathAdder V2

And the following gaming monitors do emit high frequency noise:
- Corsair XENEON 32QHD240
- iiyama G-Master Golden Pheonix GB2790QSU-B1
- HP OMEN X 27 Gaming Monitor
- Viewsonic XG271QG
- Acer XV272UX

All those devices are in its own of very good quality, concerning either picture quality, haptic and ergonomic design, no question about this.
But because of the high frequency noise, they are just electro-acoustical trash.
I am actually quite disappointed because of the noise issue.
The noise issues should get far greater audience.

nevin:
the noise is probably in the power system. transformers can be notoriously "squeaky". poor quality or dying power power supplies are usually the culprits.

- don't know that i've run into the issue with peripherals, but definitely, wall warts (120v > _(insert lower voltage)_v transformers) and monitors that were dying.
- 1st, verify that it truly is each device and not some ambient noise coming from another component on your desk.
- try some keyboards, mice without all the lights etc.... the boosting of the voltage to run the leds is probably part of the problem.
- if everything in your house is this way, check house/mains voltage/stability
- you may just be very sensitive to that range of high frequencies (and have very good hearing or are young)

with all the equipment in my office, computers, fans, hard drives, etc. it sounds like a symphony of crickets when it's quiet.
- try playing some background music on low volume, will be enough to focus on but should be enough that you can focus on the music instead of the electronic noises.

Zathras1:
Thx for the quick reply.

To clarify on this matter:

1. Alle the devices, I mentioned, emit the noise directly! The noise dose NOT come from a seperate transformer or other external device.
2. The noise is (and can) always be measured *directly* in front of the device!
3. As written: It can be measured objectively with a professional microphone or - as of today - with any good smartphone with an FFT-analyzing software, i. e. "Spectroid" for instance.
4. And since I do have a muscial trained hearing, I hear the noise clearly and reproducable. Although I am 53 years old, I can still hear sounds up to 18 kHz with ease. During childhood it was up to 22 kHz.

So yes: I tested all the mentioned devices and they all emit nasty high frequency noise, known popular as "coil whine".

See frequency spectrum of an Acer monitor.

5. Several hardware manufactures admit, that their device "might emit high frequency noise under certain situations.... bla bla", but yes: they admit, that it does happen. Well, I am disappointed, because those devices are not usable for me, because of the noise.

So, the question remains: Are there devices (keyboards, mice, monitors), that have quality electric circuits, that are guaranteed silent up to 20 kHz? And yes: It IS possible to make such circuits. But they might be a bit more expansive - that's the point.

I am willing to pay up to 1.000€ for a gaming-keyboard, 3.000€ for a 27''-240-Hz gaming-monitor and 500€ for a silent computer gaming-mouse.

Still: Have not found any!

Zathras1:
Here, one can see the color dependence of the noise spectrum for the Cherry MX 10.0N RGB.
After talking with a technician from Cherry, he concurs with this in principle. The device does emit sound up to 20 kHz, because of the electric circuits to power the LED.

Sadly, for me this is simply not acceptable.

Why not just raise the pulse duration modulation into a higher frequency range above 30 kHz for instance?

nevin:
it's the nature of the components. don't know that i've ever heard of a transformer being "tuned" to be silent.
the specs, requirements of the components are voltage, current draw, etc... not frequency emitted etc.

... how bout some noise-canceling headphones?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version