Author Topic: vun's mega mouse writeup  (Read 39728 times)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: vun's mega mouse writeup
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 15:34:43 »
I ended up going with G700. I found deal on factory refurb for $40. I guess maybe slightly better than used... maybe. I suppose I will post what I think about after I get it and use it for week or two.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 17:31:38 »
I ended up going with G700. I found deal on factory refurb for $40. I guess maybe slightly better than used... maybe. I suppose I will post what I think about after I get it and use it for week or two.

Looking forward to it, especially any notes relating to battery life per charge.  I am hoping it may do better than the current G700S but that's just me being stupid I guess  ::) .

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 06:07:28 »
regardless of what some have said about the steelseries sensei I used it for quite a while and it is a great mouse.
I have the steelseries rival now because I wanted to see if it was as good as they claimed.
so far it is a very good mouse.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 13:20:51 »
I think the only real difference between G700 and G700S is the rubbery grippy strip things on the shell? I suppose the included generic whatever rechargable battery they come with are not the best. I planned to get one of the higher capacity eneloop to stick in it.

Offline thesentinel

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 15:41:09 »
Just received my CM Storm Spawn. Super happy about this purchase. It's the first "gamer" brand mouse I've ever used and my god, it's comfortable and accurate.
Keyboards are the only thing keeping me from consuming human flesh.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 16:37:40 »
I think the only real difference between G700 and G700S is the rubbery grippy strip things on the shell? I suppose the included generic whatever rechargable battery they come with are not the best. I planned to get one of the higher capacity eneloop to stick in it.

Okay, so your G700 uses AA sized batts?  I though that the G700 series had some kind of internal battery that you can't take out to recharge.  I'm starting to forget what each mouse has since now they are all starting to look the same (old people eventually see everything as the same).

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 17:36:43 »

Okay, so your G700 uses AA sized batts?  I though that the G700 series had some kind of internal battery that you can't take out to recharge.  I'm starting to forget what each mouse has since now they are all starting to look the same (old people eventually see everything as the same).

I think most Logitech wireless mice have used AA or AAA batteries, at least from what I've heard. The only one I've ever owned though was the G700s, and that used a AA at least. Even Razer have started using AA now, much better than those custom made battery packs. That said, the battery packs, or at least the one on my Mamba, works as intended; very low profile battery, meaning there's little need to compromise sensor placement, shell shape or weight distribution. Unlike the G700s *grumbles*

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 23:21:25 »

I think most Logitech wireless mice have used AA or AAA batteries, at least from what I've heard. The only one I've ever owned though was the G700s, and that used a AA at least. Even Razer have started using AA now, much better than those custom made battery packs. That said, the battery packs, or at least the one on my Mamba, works as intended; very low profile battery, meaning there's little need to compromise sensor placement, shell shape or weight distribution. Unlike the G700s *grumbles*

The MX revolution uses a custom battery, one which couldn't be replaced easily in the first revisions but they had major problems with the battery over time and eventually made it easier to replace. Its charging station was also messed up as it worked far better with a resistor applied. There are quite a few sites describing how to perform that mod to make the charging voltage more appropriate.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 22:26:50 »
My Revolution always charged really fast, and it lasted at least all day when gaming... if not gaming maybe a week. I never did anything to the charger to make it work better or anything either. The main problem I always had with the crappy cradle charger was getting it in just the right spot to even start in the first place. Sometimes I could just drop it in and it would start charging... other times I would have to **** around with it for several minutes putting the mouse on and off, twisting it about.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 14:24:21 »
Got my G700 in today. I've spent a short time with it (so far only on desktop/applications, no gaming yet) and overall I am satisfied with it. I think it will be a suitable replacement of the MX Revolution for me. First the 'cons'. At the first impression the buttons are WAY stiffer than my MX Revolution... but I suppose the old Revolution have gotten quite soft after many years of heavy use. If I can't get used to the stiffness, I do have some much lighter Omron D2F-O1F I may put in for the primary left and right click at least. I guess there isn't as much I can do about the little metal octagonal buttons they used for all the others. The right side doesn't have quite as good contour for the ring and pinky as the Revolution. I also notice the slant is a bit deeper towards the pinky side so my wrist is twisted more in that direction. I guess most people would probably find that more natural. I haven't decided if it's really a bad thing yet, I might change my mind... maybe right now it is just simply different. The stock glides are as expected not so smooth... I guess some corepad (or maybe I will try some other brand?) glides will be my next purchase. The leds on the side don't seem to do anything? I guess it's not really that important.
Now for the 'pros'. The overall shell texture is much better which gives some grip back against it's 'worse' contours for the ring and pinky. I do like the slightly less deep scoop for the thumb. Even though I customized my Revolution to improve it a little it was still fairly slick, especially on the thumb side with the glossy smooth plastic. G700 has a much 'drier' feeling on the sides. Button placement is very good and is similar enough that it is nice and familiar. I LOVE the click/free scroll control on the G700 compared to the MX Revolution. It's much harder to accidentally turn it on when I don't want it. I also haven't had it just drop into free scroll for no reason like my old Revolution would especially in Adobe programs. The higher dpi is something I already was pretty sure I needed, and I have settled on 1600 for desktop use as comfortable on 1440p. I'm pretty used to using a lower dpi in gaming so I suppose I will have to fiddle with it for a bit to find the sweet spot for me there. The Logitech Gaming software that controls it is certainly much less terrible to use for button assignment and other settings than the older SetPoint used with the MX Revolution. I set some of the extra buttons as global media keys (it's a bit more convenient than having them on a Fn layer on the keyboard) and they actually work properly and reliably with MusicBee even when it isn't in focus unlike the MX so that is very nice. To my surprise it came with a high capacity eneloop, so there is one less thing I need to get for it. The sensor seems to be quite a lot better as well, and I haven't noticed it randomly skipping/jumping while moving the cursor. At 1600 it's a bit less 'precise' for me in photoshop though I am probably simply just not used to it yet, so I have the G11 button set to dpi control so I can drop it down to 800. I like having that control quite a lot and I can guess it will be nice in gaming as well.
Well those are my initial impressions anyway. I will come back and talk about gaming with it once I have had a chance to put in some hours with a few various game genres.
In short, so far I would recommend it as a great replacement for MX Revolution.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 February 2014, 14:26:36 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 12:08:59 »
So if anyone cares... after using the G700 for awhile I definitely like it overall. It really is an excellent mouse, even if it does sound that I do not think so since I tend to complain more than talk the positives...
One of my remaining problems that I may get used to is I had a habit of pressing the right click on the Revolution basically at the very end of it... and this isn't possible on the G700 as there is part of the case there instead of the button going all the way to the front edge. I often find myself pressing this part of the casing and not the button. I'm not sure why on a clearly right handed mouse the button where your middle and longest finger goes is shorter?
The other problem which I don't think can be fixed easily is the battery life. Even though it has a high capacity 2500mah eneloop in it, it only lasts a fraction of the time of the MX piddly (but li-ion) 600mah battery. I've now gotten a 4pack of eneloop xx and a standalone charger so I can charge up and swap them out as I drain them every other day or so. It's too bad they didn't use a li-ion battery, an easy swap like the G7 + a spare would have been much nicer I think as they seem to last much longer charge. Using the cable with it is not an option for me, at least not the stock one it comes with. Thing is stiff as ****, too thick and a total nuisance to use in wired mode while it's charging.
It's certainly a marked improvement in gaming. I don't have to lift the mouse or push it half way across the table to turn anymore at 1440p and I can still drop dpi down when I need more steady control which I love.

Though... if I had the option/know how I would have happily taken a higher dpi sensor and stuck it in the old Revolution. I guess in the end I will call it a draw. Each has a major flaw on an otherwise very good mouse. For the MX Revolution it's the low dpi that is not so nice to use on 1440p+ resolutions. On the G700 it's their choice on using the less good nimh batteries with their much shorter charge.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:09:56 »
Added Logitech G602, Func MS-3, TT Level10M and Mionix Ensis 320 to the guide.

I'm not really in a writing mood, so I've probably missed a few important details, and there are no pics yet, but I wanted to get the basics of each mouse down. I'll polish it up once I've got some pics to add.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:46:36 »
Added Logitech G602, Func MS-3, TT Level10M and Mionix Ensis 320 to the guide.

I was going to buy a G602 but currently using my Frankenstein MX500 and simply not even thinking about another mouse.  Maybe in a few days time I might get a G602 and see what all the fuss was about.

The TT Level10M is another surprise, even though I hate most of their gear their version of a high-end mouse might suit.  Thanks for putting them into your compilation  :thumb: .

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 12:14:20 »
Added my experiences with the Razer Manticor pad and the CST LTrac trackball, as well as an update to the Ensis 320.

Still no pics, I've been lazy and not charged the camera batteries, so pics will come later when I can be arsed.

Offline Mastoras

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 14:14:29 »
 Nice thread vun. Have you ever put your hands on corsair M45/M65? I think the shape is pretty similar to g9x and I would like your Pov about it. Thanx

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 14:25:05 »
What mouse/feet with the Manticor? I noticed it makes the biggest difference on this pad, as well as other metal pads.
Great write-up BTW!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 19:12:21 »
What mouse/feet with the Manticor? I noticed it makes the biggest difference on this pad, as well as other metal pads.
Great write-up BTW!

So far I've had the Xornet, DA2013 and Abyssus on the Manticor, all on stock feet. I haven't really had much of an issue with pad/feet combos tbh, most usually feel a bit weird at first but then break in after a while.

Nice thread vun. Have you ever put your hands on corsair M45/M65? I think the shape is pretty similar to g9x and I would like your Pov about it. Thanx

No, sadly I can't say I have, as I don't know anyone who owns one and they don't really interest me, so I haven't had the chance to try any of the Corsair mice.
Might pick one up on sale, but outside of good deals I don't think I'll add to my collection all that much in the near future.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 14:00:43 »
right, Razer does have pretty neat stock feet - don't recall how the Xornet's were but sounds good. and yeah, breaks in quite nicely on such a smooth pad! though I did have some issues with rather poor quality Teflon. precision and speed were just really bad. it's definitely not as slow as the QcK for me, so was a bit surprised by your experience there. well, more friction as you put it - but assuming it means speed here.