Author Topic: [GB] GMK November Fog - (Mostly shipped - Thank you!)  (Read 35463 times)

Offline krugerlive

[GB] GMK November Fog - (Mostly shipped - Thank you!)
« on: Mon, 01 November 2021, 23:34:19 »

cool, calm, and versatile
a set designed to evoke those chilly and foggy days of the late fall

"keyset inspiration"

More

November is a time of change. 

It's those late autumn days when we get ready to welcome the winter.  The days are cooler and the mood gets calmer.
Nature is preparing for its winter slumber and there is a softness and stillness in the air. 
The weather shift brings on cloudier days and foggy skies. 
The scents of the surroundings color the experience - pine and mountain air in the forests - a wild landscape.

The inspiration is that time and feeling spent immersing oneself in nature at the tail end of the year.  It's about cool days, overcast skies, and a fog that permeates throughout bringing a freshness and calm to all.

Colors
The colors are selected from the above photo that I took while on a hike in the Cascade Mountains about an hour outside of Seattle, WA. 
On this foggy November day, the temps were in the 40s, it was cool and breezy, and low clouds and layers of fog were rolling through the hills. 
These colors are chosen because they have a naturalness to them, but as the same time, a cooler feel. 

Note: The physical colors on the right were taken on a neutral gray card and the photo is color corrected (may look different across monitors).  Pantone *is still* out of the physical plastic chips for two of the colors, but I've verified with multiple types of paper Pantone chips and multiple adjacent color plastic ones that these are the best colors for the set.

This set was first posted to r/keycapdesigners here
Changes: Initially the alpha color was planned to be Pantone 621c, but in person it was too vibrant and spring-like.  The other candidate, 7541C, ended up fitting the theme perfectly.

"group buy information"

Group Buy Dates: November 1 - 30th, 2021

Vendors:

Pricing

Kitting          Cannon Keys  Daily Clack  Desk Hero  IlumKB  MyKeyboard.eu  proto[Typist]  zFrontier 
Base Kit$134.99 (USD)$197.00 (AUD)$175.99 (CAD)$195.00 (SGD)140.00€ (EUR)£125.00 (GBP)¥939.00 (CNY)
Novelties$64.99$95.00$84.99$94.0067.00€£60.00¥439.00
Space Bars$31.99$47.00$41.99$46.0033.00€£30.00¥229.00
Extensions$42.99$63.00$55.99$62.0045.00€£40.00¥299.00
NorDeUK$74.99$109.00$97.99$108.0078.00€£69.00¥499.00

Estimated shipping: Q4-2022

"renders and kitting"

Renders:

"cannon keys balance in a green that really should exist""cannon keys balance in a green that really should exist"
Cannon Keys Balance
Cannon Keys Balance

"blue grey haus on the abstrat fog deskmat""Ikki 68 Aurora"
Haus by Hand Engineering
Ikki 68 Aurora

More Renders:

More

"dalco mini with ISO""render on dawn 75, it's quite nice"
Dalco 959 Mini by Hand Engineering
Dawn 75 FE by Finite Design

"cannon keys balance on some random plaster floor""cannon keys balance on some random rock that's lichen this scene"
Cannon Keys Balance in white
Cannon Keys Balance in white

"render on dawn 75, it's quite nice""render on dawn 75, it's quite nice"
Haus by Hand Engineering
Haus by Hand Engineering

"(November) Frog by Geon. Render by PL23""Harbor by Kibou. Render by PL23"
(November) Frog by Geon. Render by PL23
Harbor by Kibou. Render by PL23

Dalco 959 Mini

Color Versatility Renders
More

The tones are specifically chosen to be largely neutral and also balance each other to the point where they work in a harmony, and no color is overbalancing another.  This gives the set more flexibility across board designs, colors, and desk environments.  For those boards that are very hard to match, this set should at least be adequate or better on most.

Here are renders on multiple boards, in an array of colors that include ones very tough to match:

Color Versatility Gallery

Kitting:

Base Kit:
Description:
More
This has a large amount of support for various layouts that most people use.  There are a lot of debates about what the ideal kitting size is, and based on IC feedback, this works for most.
This ensures that the kit can maintain relevancy if people buy new keyboards (as tends to happen in this hobby....) or want to swap it around across different boards. 
Given the longer lead times of GMK these days, it's even harder to predict which board layouts you'll be using when the set delivers, so for this reason a larger kitting is better tuned to the moment, especially given that this is meant to be a more versatile set.

Novelties:
Description:
More
These novelties are meant to evoke cooler days of late fall hikes and excursions into nature.  The idea was to keep them completely natural, no signs of people.  They're meant to put you in the mindset of a late fall hike, where it's just you experiencing nothing but nature.  There is a stillness and oncoming chill, yet there is so much life.

Bars:
Description:
More
These are some more space bars so you can hone that aesthetic, or support your more obscure layouts.  They match the alpha and accent colors.

Extensions:
Description:
More
This kit provides support for 40s layouts and other support for more esoteric layouts. 
Was able to get everything people asked for in the IC. 

NorDeUK
Description:
More
Enough people asked for it, so here it is!

"deskmats"

"cannon keys balance on some random rock that's "lichen" this scene""cannon keys balance on some random rock that's "lichen" this scene"
Nature DeskmatAbstract Fog Deskmat

"metal artisans"

All metal keycaps available from all vendors

Hibi Metal Artisan Keycaps

owl
abstract trees

More
Owl Keycap:
This is a milled solid brass keycap that's been PVD coated with a polished silver fininsh.  It uses the owl design from the novelties, which is milled into the surface with precision CNC machining.  The eyes are enamel filled and are luminecent, so they will glow if first given light.  This is a special one.

Abstract Trees Keycap:
Design Inspiration
This keycap is a custom design by Kate from Hibi created specially for GMK November Fog.  It is meant to evoke the forest theme, but not overtly be that.  Because of that, it's a design that could fit any situation, yet still call back to the theme of the set.  This is a machines aluminum keycap that's custom anodized to match the Panton of the accent color.  It has 11 ridges to represent the 11th month.

KeyLabs Metal Artisan Keycaps

R1 1u
R3 2.25u

More

Both keycaps are machined aluminum and anodized to match the pantone of the accent color.  Each keycap has parts that are milled more deeply and are filled with enamel color matched to the Pantone of the mod color.  The scenes are completed with laser etched designs.  I'm thrilled that KeyLabs is doing their first ever metal enter key as a collaboration with November Fog

R1 1u
R3 2.25u

"cables"

GCables

Custom connector options
Coiled or straight options

Purchase a custom G Cable

Luxe Cables

Laser engraved with the wolf/dog
This cable is designed with a colorway to complement the set to give it more of a deep forest feel on your desk.

Purchase a custom Luxe Cable

"collaborations"

Artisan Collaborations

"contact"

Join the discord
Follow my keyboard instagram
Contact me on discord: krugerlive#6903
Follow me on Twitch: krugerlive_

A sincere thank you to everyone who helped along the way, especially the Cannon Keys regulars crew, all the vendors and people who make them so great, all the collaborators I'm working with (seriously thank you!), help from other designers along the way, especially PL23 and other members of the various keycaps designer outposts.  Also thanks to my wife and dogs for being ok with me living in blender and on discord for these past few months.

Signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=113865.0][img height=120]https://i.imgur.com/wIxce7f.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 September 2023, 16:27:26 by krugerlive »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] GMK November Fog - GB Nov 1 through Nov 30th
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 November 2021, 17:53:47 »
Approved
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline krugerlive

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 November 2021, 18:14:59 »
Thank you!

Offline rikercd

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 November 2021, 18:17:36 »
Those KeyLab artisans are f i re

Offline saam

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 17:51:00 »
Wow! Beautiful kitting, big but great. Prices are much better than expected.
Count me in! :cool:

Sam E

Offline fa16k

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 November 2021, 10:01:30 »
Beautiful set! I'm in!  ;D

Offline krugerlive

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 November 2021, 22:59:44 »
MOZIcaps for GMK November Fog now available for fulfillment GB!  (8 Nov through 14 Nov)

And these are some stunners!

Product Page @ MOZIcaps

Offline azzipa

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 10:37:52 »
gotta say, i’m surprised this set ran with only one 1.5u Super in base. two would be my personal preference (plus another 1u Alt) and i could understand none. maybe there is a use case i am not aware of? i’m on the fence here, glwgb  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 November 2021, 10:39:35 by azzipa »

Offline Nurseh

• Sorry for always apologizing
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 November 2021, 08:21:41 »
Love the theme, count me in. Great work OP!

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 November 2021, 14:38:45 »
Any update on how this set is going?

I hope the KeyLabs artisans make it

Offline krugerlive

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 01:42:24 »

Things are going well!  The set is past MOQ and both Keylabs will be made. :)

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 08:12:45 »

Grats!!!!

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 08:56:10 »

that's awesome
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline euro3er

Re: [GB] GMK November Fog - Last Days! Ends Dec 1
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 15:29:11 »
Looking forward to this one! Just supported this group buy. (:

Offline krugerlive

Re: [GB] GMK November Fog - Last Days! Ends Dec 1
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 01 December 2021, 11:53:28 »
Looking forward to this one! Just supported this group buy. (:

Thanks for joining!  And also thanks for adding the set to your signature.  I hope you absolutely love the set!

Grats!!!!

Thanks, Bub!

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
Re: [GB] GMK November Fog - (Closed - 12/1/21 - Thank you!!)
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 13:15:51 »

Offline krugerlive

Re: [GB] GMK November Fog - (Closed - 12/1/21 - Thank you!!)
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 02 January 2022, 14:42:18 »
Thanks, dvorcol!  And thank you everyone for helping to make this a successful group buy!

Show Image

Offline DaaDaa

Re: [GB] GMK November Fog - (numbers updated - Closed - Thank you!)
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 02 January 2022, 19:40:31 »
those numbers are fantastic. congrats on the success of the set.
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline Dmitri

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 March 2023, 22:37:44 »
R2

Offline Trackpoint

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 August 2023, 17:01:34 »
This set turned out beautifully, the attention to detail really shows. Pictures I've seen don't come close to capturing the subtlety of the colors. Thanks Kruger!
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 September 2023, 21:42:01 by Trackpoint »

Offline krugerlive

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 September 2023, 16:26:50 »
This set turned out beautifully, the attention to detail really shows. Pictures I've seen don't come close to capturing the subtlety of the colors. Thanks Kruger!

Show Image

Thanks!  I really appreciate the feedback on the set and happy to hear you like it!

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: [GB] GMK November Fog - (Mostly shipped - Thank you!)
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 04 September 2023, 17:53:09 »
Glad to see this set looks good and similar to the renders, considering the amount of new designers who failed at doing colour matching (saw it on an grey LZ-GH v1 which was sick)

Just commenting to tell you that next time if you ever run stuff with a GB thread please update geekhack as well as discord or whatever platform, as it looks like you have been dormant for over a year and ghosted and I personally prefer geekhack in how all the updates are congregated on a singular platform.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 September 2023, 17:54:56 by Rhienfo »

Offline Dmitri

Re: [GB] GMK November Fog - (Mostly shipped - Thank you!)
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 09 February 2024, 20:21:02 »
R2 :D