Author Topic: [GB] Pearl 40% R1 Complete - www.pearlboards.com - Thank you!  (Read 201211 times)

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
So hot rn!! We are twins - Don't mind the A in place of the Q

Offline Kalopsia

Seeing all those nice pictures of the different Pearls makes me regret that I didnt join in. Heres hoping you'll consider 60% for your next GB. Ill definately get 2!  :thumb:

Offline on9james

#12 ready to click clack

pairing with just arrived hako true, smooth and steady~
190287-0

working on keycap :p
190289-1

time to make myself a purple cable!! Thanks Koob for the good work again!!
190291-2
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 March 2018, 13:07:58 by on9james »

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
Zealios arrived and my Pearl is in customs waiting for them to send me a payment notification. Now I realized I may need to buy stabilizers as I did not check whether I have any in stock. I presume plate mounted Cherry stabs would not work properly.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline metalliccharles

So hot rn!! We are twins - Don't mind the A in place of the Q
Show Image

Show Image

:eek: DAAAMN :eek: those look good.

Offline energyd

quick question: for the led that come with the board, is the long leg positive and short leg negative?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
quick question: for the led that come with the board, is the long leg positive and short leg negative?

Positive is generally longer, can't see why they'd be any different.

Offline forumusername

I never wanted a 40% until I saw these 🤤

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline eyedrop

And this is your 40th post.  Coincidence?   :p

Offline kwyryn

I wanted one until i noticed that the stagger is ****ed up

Offline salasource

Haha, exactly same here. Standard stagger option with extra plate would have been excellent compromise.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
#12 ready to click clack
Thanks Koob for the good work again!!
Wow!! So beautiful! DSA looks awesome on these little boards. You are very welcome and ty as well #12!

Thanks man! Yes positive is +. Says it on my build guide as well

Haha, exactly same here. Standard stagger option with extra plate would have been excellent compromise.
Theres plenty of normal staggered 40s out there fellas! May i suggest the mechmin2, it has an extra plate for ortho as well!

Offline forumusername

#12 ready to click clack
Thanks Koob for the good work again!!
Wow!! So beautiful! DSA looks awesome on these little boards. You are very welcome and ty as well #12!

Thanks man! Yes positive is +. Says it on my build guide as well

Theres plenty of normal staggered 40s out there fellas! May i suggest the mechmin2, it has an extra plate for ortho as well!
But this was nice and chunky with a weight

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Yes, but some people are cry babies about a few mm stagger difference xD So what can you do

Offline salasource

Actually JD45 is the closest one to Pearl and that's about it. So I would say that at the moment there is nothing like it on the market.

Offline BobCarltheThird

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand built. Had some weird issues with the screws on the top left not screwing in at all but everything's secure without them so it's good enough for me. Currently holding all my artisans until laser arrives.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline energyd

Building the board, got a question. There is a fairly big gap b/w the ? key and right shift, what did I do wrong?

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Make sure your plate is flat, and make sure your switch isn't tilted when soldered. It looks titled to the right, press it down. Once assembled the gap won't be seen, so don't worry too much!

Offline clickityClackity

The Pearl arrived on my birthday and it's ****ing beautiful!!! Built it with Amber Alps and vintage double shot PBT caps. :D

Offline energyd

Make sure your plate is flat, and make sure your switch isn't tilted when soldered. It looks titled to the right, press it down. Once assembled the gap won't be seen, so don't worry too much!

thanks koob, that's exactly what happened. almost finished but just found that there are only 10 m3x4 screws included, not a big deal since 10 screws hold the plate just fine. but 4 more screws will make it perfect
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2018, 00:14:00 by energyd »

Offline gutsack

Built mine this morning. Still need to pick out a keyset but for now just threw on some enjoypbt. Also got QMK installed as well. (Attachment Link)

How did you manage to get QMK installed on your Pearl? I can't seem to make that happen with the current head of QMK, doesn't seem like you can build ps2avrGB at this time (issue: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/issues/2425). Did you successfully flash QMK into your Pearl?

Offline d.caminero

The Pearl arrived on my birthday and it's ****ing beautiful!!! Built it with Amber Alps and vintage double shot PBT caps. :D

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

You beat me on the first Pearl with ALPS (the first published here at least hahah)
Did you encounter any problem with alps fitting? What stabs did you use? I'm planning to build mine with Oranges (and an extra pcb with blues) and use regular MX stabs since I will throw DSA Lightcycle on until I can get those ALPS to MX sliders and put Yuri on it, but I'm concerned with the MX stabs since I will not be able to use retro keysets AFAIK.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2018, 06:00:39 by d.caminero »

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
height=480]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180305/da9dc6203fa731708677455a468463fb.jpg[/img][img width=640
Happy birthday!!! Great job on the ALPS, first one I've seen besides my prototype! Must be naisu

thanks koob, that's exactly what happened. almost finished but just found that there are only 10 m3x4 screws included, not a big deal since 10 screws hold the plate just fine. but 4 more screws will make it perfect
You're welcome and sorry at the same time! So its fixed now? Pass me your order #, I'll pull up your address and mail you the missing hardware friend!

How did you manage to get QMK installed on your Pearl? I can't seem to make that happen with the current head of QMK, doesn't seem like you can build ps2avrGB at this time (issue: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/issues/2425). Did you successfully flash QMK into your Pearl?
I'll take a look at building tonight man, will keep you posted!

You beat me on the first Pearl with ALPS (the first published here at least hahah)
Did you encounter any problem with alps fitting? What stabs did you use? I'm planning to build mine with Oranges (and an extra pcb with blues) and use regular MX stabs since I will throw DSA Lightcycle on until I can get those ALPS to MX sliders and put Yuri on it, but I'm concerned with the MX stabs since I will not be able to use retro keysets AFAIK.
There are some issues with ALPS. Letme explain. ALPS use wings on the sides to grip onto plates. Cherry switch variants use mainly the tops and bottoms to grip. To support some split options and a universal plate, some plate areas are opened up and not sectioned, such as the spacebar area. So when placing an ALPS switch here, it won't be using the plate at all. It will just go straight on the PCB. Same goes for the backspace and rshift if you decide to go full size on them and not split them. Apart from that, the plates support costar stabs and the only problem you would encounter at that point is the ALPS needing off size stabs (not 2u or 6.25u), requiring MATIAS style stabs, or not using cherry style inserts. If its the last one, use costars!
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2018, 08:40:21 by Koobaczech »

Offline hndle

koob, check pm plz!

Offline energyd

You're welcome and sorry at the same time! So its fixed now? Pass me your order #, I'll pull up your address and mail you the missing hardware friend!

wow thx man! that's great customer service! Order #1069 it is.

Offline BobCarltheThird

Well here's my pearl I suppose. I don't have the caps for it yet so it's relegated to be my dedicated artisan holder for now. Very happy with the quality though and Koob was very willing to help with my issues.

probably wont have the money to buy it but I'm very much looking forward to your next project. :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2018, 10:17:16 by BobCarltheThird »

Offline gutsack

The issue was indeed with QMK. Sebb767 created a pull request that resolves the issue, you can manually patch it currently if you need to convert your Pearl to QMK ASAP, or wait for it to land. PR is here: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/pull/2478

Once you patch that, you can do (from the qmk_firmware dir):

Code: [Select]
make ps2avrGB
bootloadHID -r ps2avrGB_default.hex

This should update the new firmware and change the LEDs to red.

And then you can do:

make pearl
bootloadHID -r pearl.hex

And you're good to go. Edit your layout to your heart's content (or use pearl_jetpacktuxedo).

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
I will be receiving my Pearl this week, maybe even tomorrow!

I need a clarification regarding layouts: in the IC thread and the GB page (Pearl Boards) there are keyboard layouts that has two different bottom rows (the split space and the 6.25u space one). Are these two the only supported layouts or can I move various keys around (e.g. switch around some 1.25u and 1u keys or maybe have the split space set up as 2.25u:1.25u:2.75u)?

The split space is the way to go for me but would be nice to have a 1.25u between the spacekeys. I will get a better visual once I get the plate and PCB in my hands but I started planning my firmware already.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline donut_sauce

The issue was indeed with QMK. Sebb767 created a pull request that resolves the issue, you can manually patch it currently if you need to convert your Pearl to QMK ASAP, or wait for it to land. PR is here: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/pull/2478

Once you patch that, you can do (from the qmk_firmware dir):

make ps2avrGB
bootloadHID -r ps2avrGB_default.hex

This should update the new firmware and change the LEDs to red.

And then you can do:

make pearl
bootloadHID -r pearl.hex

And you're good to go. Edit your layout to your heart's content (or use pearl_jetpacktuxedo).

That's odd. Mine compiled just fine, this issue must have been pretty recently introduced. Glad to hear you got it fixed.

I actually ended up wiring my pearl to a teensy. It turns out macros over 5 characters are not working due to a time out issue with vusb.c , at least that's my limited understanding of the issue. Hopefully some kind soul with the programming chops can fix that issue at some point:)

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards

I need a clarification regarding layouts: in the IC thread and the GB page (Pearl Boards) there are keyboard layouts that has two different bottom rows (the split space and the 6.25u space one). Are these two the only supported layouts or can I move various keys around (e.g. switch around some 1.25u and 1u keys or maybe have the split space set up as 2.25u:1.25u:2.75u)?

The split space is the way to go for me but would be nice to have a 1.25u between the spacekeys. I will get a better visual once I get the plate and PCB in my hands but I started planning my firmware already.
Lets hope it arrives well! For the bottom row,
The two keys on the left and right ends can be swapped. So thats 1-1.25 or 1.25-1 on either side, regardless of split or not split space.
If you split the space, the only way you can build it is xx - xx - 1.25 - 2.25 - 2.75 - xx - xx

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs

Lets hope it arrives well! For the bottom row,
The two keys on the left and right ends can be swapped. So thats 1-1.25 or 1.25-1 on either side, regardless of split or not split space.
If you split the space, the only way you can build it is xx - xx - 1.25 - 2.25 - 2.75 - xx - xx

I see. Thanks for the clarification. Will have to have a bigass Fn in the middle then. ;D
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline seblove

I'm fully turquo'd boys.

This thing had some very tight tolerances, had to sand down my brass weight to drop it in, but overall it's built like a tank and now I know I love box navys. Fun little board for sure, thanks Koob.

190591-0190593-1

Offline Wet

#1006 reporting in! Black Pearl with Black Selectric. Only had a TKL set, so some keys aren't exactly the right profile but it'll be temporary! Waiting on Round 6 to be shipped soon..

The main problems I had were regarding the screws: I could only get 3/4 case screws in as the last one would always be misaligned no matter what I try. Some of the plate screws don't go in perfectly as well, but the entire board is still secure as it is :D

RS68

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
That looks so good with the vintage black on black. Nice job!
-Dana

Offline gutsack

#1006 reporting in! Black Pearl with Black Selectric. Only had a TKL set, so some keys aren't exactly the right profile but it'll be temporary!

Looks so good! I tried putting Selectric on mine, but with the split space bars and the modifier keys related, it started getting ridiculous. Ended up putting Jukebox on mine, which is a set I've had laying around for years but have never actually used. Will post a photo tomorrow.

Offline d.caminero

There are some issues with ALPS. Letme explain. ALPS use wings on the sides to grip onto plates. Cherry switch variants use mainly the tops and bottoms to grip. To support some split options and a universal plate, some plate areas are opened up and not sectioned, such as the spacebar area. So when placing an ALPS switch here, it won't be using the plate at all. It will just go straight on the PCB. Same goes for the backspace and rshift if you decide to go full size on them and not split them. Apart from that, the plates support costar stabs and the only problem you would encounter at that point is the ALPS needing off size stabs (not 2u or 6.25u), requiring MATIAS style stabs, or not using cherry style inserts. If its the last one, use costars!

So if I understood it correctly, I can use Costar or Matias stabs (I think they are the same except for the insert?) depending on the caps having MX or ALPS mounts for the stabilizers. Am I right? Or are there cut-outs for the Costar stabs dimensioned to 2u and 6.25u and then I'd need to bend a wire to fit the caps with Matias inserts and costar stabs?

Offline curist

I'm super happy to get my #96 cyan Pearl  :D
The packaging is top-notch, the envelop with my name on it, add a nice personal touch to the whole thing  :-*
Really looking forward to put this gem together.
A happy future Pearl user from Taiwan. ( damn, this international shipping thing is FAST!! )

Offline d.caminero

Mine is being delivered now! I will have to wait to tomorrow to pick it up  :'(

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
Grrrr, my Pearl is in ping-pong mode in the local Posti systems. Hopefully, I'll get it tomorrow.
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Wow!! All these amazing build pictures and comments! I cant keep my eye off this thread or the whole thing explodes xD happy to see everyone getting their orders in. I do apologize about the tightness issues. On my next board I've made sure the plate and case holes are .1mm bigger so there's wiggle room for the screw and such.

I've got more PCB's and Acrylic Plates coming soon. Stockpiled for the long future in the likely absence of a second Pearl Group buy. If anyone actually reads this, JORDI, my acrylic cutter, made me foam inserts that sit between the plate and PCB. For that super premium sound dampening! Cannot wait to see how that works out. Jordi is the man. BoomSnapKep still trying to make some artisans. Still packing stuff, etc etc.

Donut, still working on your plate. Eyedrop, your Pearl is being built! energyd, sent your replacement hardware this morning via envelope

So if I understood it correctly, I can use Costar or Matias stabs (I think they are the same except for the insert?) depending on the caps having MX or ALPS mounts for the stabilizers. Am I right? Or are there cut-outs for the Costar stabs dimensioned to 2u and 6.25u and then I'd need to bend a wire to fit the caps with Matias inserts and costar stabs?
Letme clarify. My plates only support 2u and 6.25u costar or cherry stabilizers. No Matias support. If your caps use off size stabilizers, you are out of luck :/
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 March 2018, 09:45:11 by Koobaczech »

Offline d.caminero

I've got more PCB's and Acrylic Plates coming soon. Stockpiled for the long future in the likely absence of a second Pearl Group buy. If anyone actually reads this, JORDI, my acrylic cutter, made me foam inserts that sit between the plate and PCB. For that super premium sound dampening! Cannot wait to see how that works out. Jordi is the man. BoomSnapKep still trying to make some artisans. Still packing stuff, etc etc.
That sound dampening foam sounds awesome (pun intended).
"Likely absence of a second Pearl buy" means you are not going to run another buy for this board? Just asking :)

Letme clarify. My plates only support 2u and 6.25u costar or cherry stabilizers. No Matias support. If your caps use off size stabilizers, you are out of luck :/

I was referring to this stabilizers

that you can find here https://matias.store/products/stabilizer-and-hook-set). They seem to be the same as Costar but come with diferent length wires and ALPS or MX inserts. I think I can use those and try to bend the wire as it's been done before or use the extended inserts that blindassassin is doing with his stems as well.
Anyway, I will be using regular screw-in stabs since DSA Lightcycle uses mx stabilizers.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
That sound dampening foam sounds awesome (pun intended).
"Likely absence of a second Pearl buy" means you are not going to run another buy for this board? Just asking :)

I was referring to this stabilizers
Show Image

that you can find here https://matias.store/products/stabilizer-and-hook-set). They seem to be the same as Costar but come with diferent length wires and ALPS or MX inserts. I think I can use those and try to bend the wire as it's been done before or use the extended inserts that blindassassin is doing with his stems as well.
Anyway, I will be using regular screw-in stabs since DSA Lightcycle uses mx stabilizers.
It does sound super cool!! Sound dampening is one of my personal favorite mods ever. I have sound dampening under my spacebar, and for my Pearl builds without the diffuser, I pack the extra top case inside space with the paper wrap that your Pearls came in. Its a wonderful mod. So damn excited to try a build with this foam + acrylic + a silent linear. As for a second Round, maybe. It would be a very long while. Id probably flatten the design more, make the tolerances less tight, and possibly center the indicator lights since people wanted that. But I need to reserve a slot to get the work done. And I already have my 6x boards ready to show off. So its a pipeline! Pearl R2 depends on the future demand and not the current hype of owning one, and the overall satisfaction of the long time users! Finally, I've never seen those costar style stabs with the long wires. Very interesting! I don't see why they wouldn't work xD

Offline mike-y

Re: [GB] Pearl 40% GB R1 Closed - Shipping to you - www.pearlboards.com
« Reply #593 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 11:07:36 »
my package has been "delayed" by USPS since last Friday, with no update since then.  I'm trying to get a hold of them to request a re-delivery, but I fear that they've lost it .

Offline unknown error

Grrrr, my Pearl is in ping-pong mode in the local Posti systems. Hopefully, I'll get it tomorrow.

Oh nice, another Pearl to Finland. :thumb:
My package is now in transport from Posti Logistiikkakeskus, so hopefully tomorrow but I'm happy if I get mine by friday.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #595 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 11:21:11 »
my package has been "delayed" by USPS since last Friday, with no update since then.  I'm trying to get a hold of them to request a re-delivery, but I fear that they've lost it .
Yo what the heck...they better not have lost it.. I'll kill them. Also give it time, and be sure to call them. Could be many reasons. Maybe postage needs to be paid, maybe its held up at your local post office and you dont even know, maybe the need a different address. Ive had all 3 of these happen to me before. Calling/waiting has usually fixed the issue. Hope all is well :[

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #596 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 12:13:18 »
Mine is being built?

I cannot contain my excitement!!   :))

Offline donut_sauce

Donut, still working on your plate...

Awesome! looking forward to it:)

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs

My package is now in transport from Posti Logistiikkakeskus, so hopefully tomorrow but I'm happy if I get mine by friday.

Yeah, Saturday is the day I'm planning on soldering mine together as well. Still waiting for GMK Laser to slap on my Pearl though. :)
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline BobCarltheThird

Yeah, Saturday is the day I'm planning on soldering mine together as well. Still waiting for GMK Laser to slap on my Pearl though. :)
Trust me the wait for Laser only gets worse once your Pearl is built :'(
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 March 2018, 13:15:11 by BobCarltheThird »