Author Topic: "Open Source" RGB TKL PCBs for Alps and MX Switches  (Read 11431 times)

Offline IBNobody

"Open Source" RGB TKL PCBs for Alps and MX Switches
« on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 20:45:40 »

http://imgur.com/a/0iQKV

https://easyeda.com/IBNobody/Matias_RGB_TKL_copy-2d2fab1805ff4c39b05c490e5ca4c47c

This TKL keyboard combines MX style switches (or ALPS) and SK6812 RGBW LEDs. The LEDs sit on the bottom of the board and shine up through the square cutouts and into the switch.

It is driven by a Teensy 2.0++ running TMK/QMK. It has options for an external power source, serial and I2C outputs, a speaker, 3 LED indicators (discrete or RGB), and ESD protection. The PCB's cost is $40 + Shipping for 5x PCBs from EasyEDA.com.

It is set to use the default 104 ANSI layout on http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/, but without the NUMPAD. If used with http://builder.swillkb.com/, give an extra 20mm of top padding to account for the extra PCB height.

I also created a version that uses ALPS switches only. It differs from the MX variant because the LEDs are directly under the switch. IMO, this one will look better than the MX variant, but you will be severely limited in keycap selection.

https://easyeda.com/IBNobody/Matias_RGB_TKL-3a7c911369324a058266c6816b1b9367

Feel free to fork these designs for your own RGB creations.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
Re: "Open Source" RGB TKL PCBs for Alps and MX Switches
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 05:33:21 »
You're going to need that external power source... USB ports typically don't deliver 21.75W  ;D

Offline IBNobody

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 09:29:08 »
You're going to need that external power source... USB ports typically don't deliver 21.75W  ;D

Yup, That's why I put in the EIAJ-02 5V connector. It is visible on the bottom side. I chose EIAJ-02 because it was the standard "Sony" connector.

The connector itself is rated at 4A (20W), but that is okay because we shouldn't need to drive the LEDs at full brightness (0xFFFFFFFF or even 0x00FFFFFF). In testing, half-codes (0x007F7F7F or 0x7F000000) yielded bright enough colors.

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 20:32:49 »
Do you have any example firmware for this? that is the main thing holding me back from in switch.

Offline ILA

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 20:17:57 »
Any chance to use the Arduino Pro Micro instead of the Teensy because it's a lot cheaper and widely available?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 03:33:00 »
Any chance to use the Arduino Pro Micro instead of the Teensy because it's a lot cheaper and widely available?

That's not going to work - the Teensy 2.0++ used here has twice as many pins as a pro micro and more space for firmware.

Do you have any example firmware for this? that is the main thing holding me back from in switch.

LEDs don't know where they are so in switch is no harder/different to code than underglow (not sure that helps...) why not get one and have a play?  Things are more rewarding when they were harder to achieve :)

Can't believe there isn't more interest in this, good work IBNobody and thanks for sharing the design :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 10:20:07 »
Im pretty close to making a planck with rgb

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Norman_the_Owl

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 18:35:39 »
Have you made one yet?

This is pretty interesting, more details and maybe a working example would be awesome. Alps deserves more love, even if you're kinda limited to matias if you want to take advantage of the RGB

Offline kolec94

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 21:32:58 »
good idea but I don't like to have the use of external power on top of usb have you looked at other rgb smd led's?

kbparadise v60 blues

Offline konkers

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 12:12:33 »
I'm curious how the bottom mounting of the SK6812s worked out.

Offline Marcel

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 06:26:44 »
Good project,

I ran into the same issue with the power. I reduced the intensity to 7mA per led and wired then in series two by tow to stay below 400mA ( don't forget the controller need juice as well ).

Are all the RGB leds chained and display the same color, or are they addressed independently (that would require a lot of wiring tho) ?

Offline ljfkidd

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 15:10:00 »
Does this support diodes for NKRO?

Offline priostae

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 16:45:09 »
Hello,

Does this PCB fits Cherry MX switches?

Does this PCB have an interface for programming RGB?