Author Topic: Unicomp controller confusion  (Read 2279 times)

Offline pulsarglow

Unicomp controller confusion
« on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 10:49:20 »
Hi all. First post! Glad to be here. I hope someone can help because I think I looked everywhere and I can't find anything on what I'm trying to do, haha. TL;DR at the bottom.

So I recently bought an IBM Model M 122 from ebay, and I really should have known that that price was too good to be true because when I cracked it open it had severe water damage. 'Oh well,' I thought. 'I've seen other people get replacement membranes from Unicomp. I should be able to as well.' And when I called,  I was able to get a replacement membrane, but not one compatible with the original controller - so I ordered one of those too, with a compatible USB cable. I thought this would be awesome, because a retrofitted IBM 122 with native USB compatibility sounds like the best of both worlds, and with a new membrane and controller, it should work for the next decade or so. I tested with the cable and the controller IS functioning, and talks to the computer okay, despite Unicomp just sending it in a parcel envelope with no static protection...at all. So I got started on the bolt mod and disassembly and now that I have it all bolted up and ready to go, I realized that the controller isn't just plug and play like the original, it looks like something you have to sandwich and bolt.  Oops! Now I'm not quite sure how to proceed.

If anybody has any idea on how to make this work I'd love to hear it. Pictures included.

TL;DR new guy bolt mods a new style 122 membrane into an old IBM M 122 assembly and has no idea on how to secure the new working controller to the membrane.

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2018, 10:53:34 by pulsarglow »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Unicomp controller confusion
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 October 2018, 03:42:17 »
Welcome to geekhack :)

Interesting mod - it does sound good if you can get it working.  I see the stripy ribbon but there's no pic of the top of the controller board where I asssume the contacts are.  Usually ribbons have slip in sockets but if it had one of them you wouldn't be confused...

Also I've moved this to MST as it's about a mod so hopefully more people who do this kind of thing will see it :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod