Author Topic: [IC] GMK Miami Nights Reloaded  (Read 13870 times)

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

Re: [IC] GMK Miami Nights Reloaded
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 04:32:48 »
While I do want to see a rerun of miami nights, I think this has started off on the wrong foot. Whether or not a person or company owns the rights to the colors. Its best to always give them a heads up as the original runners. You could have easily skipped all this by calling it something else but you intentionally wanted it to be based off the original. We know what happens with these IC’s. Goodluck on your set.

I thought about it and to be honest i don't think that changing a name of the set would let me run it, especially when a lot of people want to see original black base color instead of a deep navy blue
I want to support it as well. I think with a different base color spectrum, you can run it with a different name, just call it city  night life or whatever. Also, if you plan to continue, please make sure to have novelties for both ansi and iso enter.

Even if im gonna change a name and a base color to CR don't you think that GMK will turn it down anyway?

Offline hyppialonso

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 07:21:37 »
maybe go for another manufacturer as a last resort

Offline mr_fro2000

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 10:47:11 »
I would really like to see black instead of deep navy as the base color. I love the original Miami Nights because of how the neon legends jump out on a black background.

This 1000x.  Not interested at all in a new base color as that would automatically make it "not miami nights."  Don't know what will happen w/ the rights and originative and all that but what I do know is that I  would not want colors other than the originals.

Also, no need for novelties, deskmats etc, however expanding kitting for different layouts would be nice.

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 11:15:48 »
I gotta say I've been wanting an R2 of this set for years and never thought it would happen. I have 2 of R1 and 2 of Vice Nights, as this is easily my fav colorway and what got me into keebs. Sadly I will have to pass on the RAL though.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline Laur

• Formerly dudeship
  • gmk retro runic
    • wip
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 14:14:47 »
As much as I agree that you should definitely be allowed to run this set, I don't think you should. Originative.co have no right to the design of this set and therefore this should be ok. They stole it from Ivan, and though it was a scam, it was still his design, not theirs.

However, the way you've done this is quite obviously a cashgrab, you have no board renders, 1 kit and the IC is generally just not well made. It feels like you've rushed it so that you could put this out first and capitalise on a great design with a troubled history. Please remake this IC asap and show you actually care or leave it to someone who has actual ability to run a set.

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 14:51:12 »
As much as I agree that you should definitely be allowed to run this set, I don't think you should. Originative.co have no right to the design of this set and therefore this should be ok. They stole it from Ivan, and though it was a scam, it was still his design, not theirs.

However, the way you've done this is quite obviously a cashgrab, you have no board renders, 1 kit and the IC is generally just not well made. It feels like you've rushed it so that you could put this out first and capitalise on a great design with a troubled history. Please remake this IC asap and show you actually care or leave it to someone who has actual ability to run a set.

Believe it or not i didn't plan this IC to be a cashgrab in any way. Although i agree that i may have rushed it but there is no intention to capitalise, i have no problem and to be honest i will be more then happy if someone will take this idea of "remaking" and actually drive this set to GB stage, and i don't really care will it be me or someone else i just love this set and want to see it once again. The only reason i didn't make the rest of the renders is because i don't have a skill of rendering and i need to pay for each render from my own pocket (and i don't live in US or any other country where $20-50-100 is not a big deal) if i had certainty that i can run this set with no problem regarding rights and design i would totally make all the renders, but for the early stage of IC i just wanted to learn only one thing - is this set is even possible to make considering all this story behind. I have a kitting for the spacebars, novelties and 40's as well as the design for novelties the only thing i don't have is the renders for them because of the reason above

Offline Laur

• Formerly dudeship
  • gmk retro runic
    • wip
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 15:18:07 »

Believe it or not i didn't plan this IC to be a cashgrab in any way. Although i agree that i may have rushed it but there is no intention to capitalise, i have no problem and to be honest i will be more then happy if someone will take this idea of "remaking" and actually drive this set to GB stage, and i don't really care will it be me or someone else i just love this set and want to see it once again. The only reason i didn't make the rest of the renders is because i don't have a skill of rendering and i need to pay for each render from my own pocket (and i don't live in US or any other country where $20-50-100 is not a big deal) if i had certainty that i can run this set with no problem regarding rights and design i would totally make all the renders, but for the early stage of IC i just wanted to learn only one thing - is this set is even possible to make considering all this story behind. I have a kitting for the spacebars, novelties and 40's as well as the design for novelties the only thing i don't have is the renders for them because of the reason above

I guess that's reasonable, I think many people would be willing to help with this project if you don't have the time and/or resources.

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 16:26:11 »
I guess that's reasonable, I think many people would be willing to help with this project if you don't have the time and/or resources.

I'm glad that you understood my situation. Any help on this project would be highly appreciated (mostly i do need only a couple renders at this point) if someone is willing to help my discord is kucherenkoZZZ#6690

Offline unknownh

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 03:30:36 »
Did you ask permission first? I've messaged originative multiple times about doing a rerun/spinnoff of Miami nights, and they told me that they don't want anyone using their design

Originative is not the owner of the original colorway. The initial IC and GB (that went not as planned) for this set was posted in 2015 here on geekhack by someone with a nickname "IvanIvanovich" after he collected the money for GB he simply vanished and the last time his account was active 3 years ago, Originative made the set only in 2017 (2 years after initial designer post) using existed colors and name and something tells me that they are not asked any permission for that either BUT if it turns out that they actually have some sort of permission from him and they are the rightful owners of this colorway and name we can close this thread the forget about this idea.

That's very odd. Ivan disappeared, I don't understand how they could gain permission from him but the GB members couldn't get their set. That timeline doesn't add up. I believe it should sit in a realm with WoB/BoW/Beige. The sad thing is, GMK would actually turn it down to keep in good favour with oco, which is sad.

I knew about Ivan, I did extensive research about the situation when I myself was trying to run the set, however, I still decided to ask originative. This is what originative told me:

Show Image

Regardless, I'm excited to see this set actually be revived. I was really passionate about bringing this set back into the community and was disappointed when originative told me that they had the rights to the set, and they didn't want me running it. GLWIC  :thumb:

I actually contacted them couple days ago regarding Ivan contacts to get a permission when i heard about their rights on this set i asked about previous designer and it turned out they are "not aware of the original situation regarding the set" which seems like a ton of house **** to me

Show Image

Ironic... originative co calls out others for stealing keysets when they themselves steal sets like Muted, ~Sky~ Modo, and now Miami Nights (who's original designer Ivan was a mod and a scammer)

TGR-Jane v2
 | TGR X SINGA UNIKORN 60 | Duck TC-V3 | Geonworks F1.69 | EX: GS "GUGA" 60 | yoot Calliope - XTFRLWKLTKL | AEK64 SKCM Browns | unknown60 WKL (x2) unknown60 WK (x2) RAMAWORKS M65-A RAMAWORKS KOYU RAMAWORKS M60-A |HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | HHKB Pro 2 

https://imgur.com/ntJaJ1c.png[/img]

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 07:26:36 »
Ironic... originative co calls out others for stealing keysets when they themselves steal sets like Muted, ~Sky~ Modo, and now Miami Nights (who's original designer Ivan was a mod and a scammer)

All of this would be impossible if GMK would look closely on a designs that they are receiving and/or knew the history of early keysets. But then again its all about business and company vs individual

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 03:59:13 »
Here is the reply from GMK i got today (last picture), thanks for your interest and sorry for taking your time
I believe this set is possible to make with JTK but it doesn't really feel right to me to have such an iconic set from a different manufacture.
But if anyone want to do this - you have my complete support on this, also as i've already have ideas/understanding about rest of the kits and novelties design feel free to contact me via Discord from initial post
Here is some screenshots from the old threads that may shed some light on the situation for those who are not aware
(more info can be found in replies above this post)

In my opinion after initial GB from rightful designer and owner of this set went horribly wrong Originative.Co decided to run their own GB for a set based on someone else's name and color scheme
 which honestly i can understand since a company is a business in a first place

But what i cannot accept is that now they are claiming themselves a rightful owners of this set and not letting anyone else to take a part in it,
 and i don't know about you but for me it seems not fair at all. We are all here on the same ground and no one can get a permission from the initial designer since he left the hobby a long time ago
 so either no one is trying to recreate this set or we all have a right to take a part in it and present our vision

Original designer IC Post of GMK Miami Nights

Something went wrong

Year after GB went wrong...

GMK response for request to rerun knowing that Originative.Co didn't have any permission either