Author Topic: What is the most tactile silent switch/frankenswitch?  (Read 2070 times)

Offline aerOcraft

What is the most tactile silent switch/frankenswitch?
« on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 01:17:46 »
So I am working on putting together a build for someone on the spectrum who loves the feel of really sharp tactility, but also has auditory sensitivity, and I am looking into silent tactiles. After reading and watching so much stuff about silent switches I was leaning towards Boba U4's. But I have also heard that they are more rounded and he wants a crisp tactile switch. I know that it is both the stem and the leaf that determine tactility, and I was thinking of taking the stems from U4's and putting them into the housing of another switch, but I don't know if that will produce the kind of sharp tactility I'm looking for. Do you guys have any suggestions on a super sharp tactile combo with a silent stem? He is not a fan of the higher pitched sound of Zilents, but since Zealios V2's are sharper in tactility than Boba U4T's do you think Zilent stems in a U4 housing would produce that strong tactility with the deeper pitch from the Boba housing? Or do you think the U4 stem would be more tactile in another housing? Or maybe another stem inside of the U4 housing? I'd test a ton of combinations out, but I don't exactly have that kind of money. Haha.

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: What is the most tactile silent switch/frankenswitch?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 10:18:16 »
Check on Reddit on the switchmodders subreddit. People have built sharp, super-tactile silents, but I forget the details. Zilent V2 housings are often used, along with U4 stems, but I'm not sure if together. A factory Zykos switch recently came out, but I don't think it was silent. Then there's the silent T1 derivatives to deal with as well. So I'd check with the switchmodders, because they may have built what you are looking for.

Offline aerOcraft

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 11:13:19 »
Check on Reddit on the switchmodders subreddit. People have built sharp, super-tactile silents, but I forget the details. Zilent V2 housings are often used, along with U4 stems, but I'm not sure if together. A factory Zykos switch recently came out, but I don't think it was silent. Then there's the silent T1 derivatives to deal with as well. So I'd check with the switchmodders, because they may have built what you are looking for.

Thank you! I didn't know about that subreddit. I tried the mk subreddit and the post was removed by a bot. I've only played with making frankenswitches with linears that I have, and then tactiles once using the stems from my neapolitans in different housings. Thank you for the suggestion. I will head on over there.  ;D

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 11:18:30 »
Glad it was helpful. Those guys will certainly have tested extreme tactile silents.

Also, you may wish to talk to these people, who have experimented with super-tactiles in various threads:

https://www.keebtalk.com/t/funky-frankenswitches/8206/381

https://www.keebtalk.com/t/recommendation-for-tactile-switch-non-clicky/10843/24

https://www.keebtalk.com/t/what-do-we-know-about-the-gazzew-boba-u4-switches/10223

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 23:33:15 »
Lube can get rid of the high pitch on Zilents, not sure if that's a v1 problem or what by my 2s are not high pitch, but then I did lube them. Some of this could also be springs, which I also changed.

Not sure on Bobas but dropping the spring weight on 62g Zilents will increase tactility but note that it's not universal. I've tried it on a few others and it only softened the spring feel. If you get down to like 45g the tactility will verge on the obnoxious side, somewhere between Box Jades and Box Navies without the noise.

Warning, dropping below this point is problematic, these are so insanely tactile that on springs below 40g they springs can get stuck on the way back up. Not sluggish, they're actually incredibly snappy, they just can't always get over the hump if you release slow such as nudging in an FPS game. The user can also end up in a cycle of always wanting light springs.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion