Author Topic: Cheapest way to build an ergodox  (Read 18757 times)

Offline Encabulator

Cheapest way to build an ergodox
« on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 09:09:06 »
I'm really interested in making my own split ergonomic keyboard but purchasing kits/pre-assembled stuff seems so expensive. If I were to build my own ergodox what parts would I need and where is the cheapest place to get them? currently the most expensive parts look like the case because all i can find are anodized aluminium cases for 70+. There are ergodox pcbs on Mechanicalkeyboards.com, is this my best option? Please help a newbie out.
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
Re: Cheapest way to build an ergodox
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 09:23:14 »
http://adereth.github.io/blog/2014/02/12/building-an-ergodox/

3D printing a case is the cheapest option, as well as soldering parts onto the PCB yourself.

You can find PCB designs here - https://github.com/Ergodox-io/ErgoDox

Offline konkers

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 10:22:14 »
currently the most expensive parts look like the case because all i can find are anodized aluminium cases for 70+.

Curious where you're seeing these?  A quick search for "aluminium ergodox case" doesn't come up with much except https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=798 which is still a layered acrylic design but with an aluminium top.

There are ergodox pcbs on Mechanicalkeyboards.com, is this my best option? Please help a newbie out.

I got mine from www.profetkeyboards.com.  They've been good to deal with and the boards are nice.

If you can get access to a laser cutter, the layered acrylic case can be really cheap.

Offline vextanys

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 10:53:27 »
Kits direct from China (taobao) are not too bad - all the bits you'd need, just need to translate / use a broker and remember to get the package marked as a sample (I got stung for import duty, and then the courier took a slice for "handling it")

I think it was about Y500 I paid, for a full kit (less keycaps) and some for the agent (turned out to be about £50-£70 delivered... until UK customs wanted their cut)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 11:07:06 »
I don't follow ergodox pricing but another place to buy parts is falbatech

http://falbatech.pl/prestashop/index.php?id_category=12&controller=category&id_lang=2

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 13:10:39 »
Really cheapest?

* Switches and keycaps from junkyard/eBay/flea market find(s). The 1.5u keys and 2u keys might need to be taken from several keyboards. You might get the capacitor and resistors as well if you are lucky.
* Use PCB-mounted switches and through-hole diodes integrated into the switches => You don't need a plate. With two pins and four solder joints, every switch will be very sturdy.
* Build the case yourself from whatever you have around. There are holes through the PCB that could be put to use for standoffs for holding the case together. Or don't build a case at all - just cover the sensitive bits with electrical tape or whatever ...
* Skip the TRRS and USB jacks and connect directly to PCB and Teensy 2.0 respectively. If you don't solder on a separate USB jack, some PCB revisions may require you to run an additional wire between the Teensy's +5V out and the PCB or otherwise the other half will not get power.
* If you don't want them, skip LEDs as well, and the resistors that go to them.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 14:24:39 »
More
Really cheapest?

* Switches and keycaps from junkyard/eBay/flea market find(s). The 1.5u keys and 2u keys might need to be taken from several keyboards. You might get the capacitor and resistors as well if you are lucky.
* Use PCB-mounted switches and through-hole diodes integrated into the switches => You don't need a plate. With two pins and four solder joints, every switch will be very sturdy.
* Build the case yourself from whatever you have around. There are holes through the PCB that could be put to use for standoffs for holding the case together. Or don't build a case at all - just cover the sensitive bits with electrical tape or whatever ...
* Skip the TRRS and USB jacks and connect directly to PCB and Teensy 2.0 respectively. If you don't solder on a separate USB jack, some PCB revisions may require you to run an additional wire between the Teensy's +5V out and the PCB or otherwise the other half will not get power.
* If you don't want them, skip LEDs as well, and the resistors that go to them.

But is this plan tp approved?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Encabulator

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 14:34:59 »
currently the most expensive parts look like the case because all i can find are anodized aluminium cases for 70+.

Curious where you're seeing these?  A quick search for "aluminium ergodox case" doesn't come up with much except https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=798 which is still a layered acrylic design but with an aluminium top.

There are ergodox pcbs on Mechanicalkeyboards.com, is this my best option? Please help a newbie out.

I got mine from www.profetkeyboards.com.  They've been good to deal with and the boards are nice.

If you can get access to a laser cutter, the layered acrylic case can be really cheap.

didnt mean aluminum, sorry
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline Data

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 15:07:02 »
Buy the PCBs from Falbatech.  You can decide then if you want to pay a little more to have it partially assembled for you.  I'd suggest having them do the SMD components at least.  While you can source these components yourself from the web for marginally cheaper, the trade-off is you will spend significantly more time soldering them and, at least in the case of SMD components, there is a skill and equipment barrier that you may not be prepared for.  It's up to you to decide if the additional $15-20 is worth it or not.

The PCB is the hardest part of the build and it's where 90% of the work is done.

Your second biggest concern is the case.  If you're any good at working with wood then you can make your own case by hand.  That's the cheapest option, assuming scrap wood and you already have all the necessary tools.  After that, acrylic and PVC are your next cheapest options.  You can find both cases at Falbatech for $30-50.  Every material has certain drawbacks.  Remember to get a plate.

The rest is easy.  Order the Teensy separately and solder it yourself.  Source your switches and stabilizers (optional) from the cheapest place you can find -- mechanicalkeyboards.com has been a good source for me.  Massdrop may also be an option if you're willing to wait.  You can get keycaps second hand, like in the GH Classifieds, or just harvest them from a few other boards if you're desperate.  You can find a Mini-USB cable just about anywhere and probably have one laying around in your house.  Monoprice has TRRS cables for $2.  LEDs are only a few cents each but if you don't already have some spares then you can just skip them -- that's what I did on my first Dox build.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 09:53:11 »
I mostly agree with Findecanor and Data.

There's one more option, though. If you have access to a laser cutter, have a plate cut (even in a customized layout) and handwire the keyboard matrix. That way, you might be able to push the price down to ca. $50 (with harvested switches/caps and cheap/clone microcontroller).

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 19:21:36 »
The ErgoDone has been discussed in other threads. It is not compatible with all ErgoDox cases and compatible with no firmware except for its own.
I'm not sure that it is cheaper..