Author Topic: RL64 - A split space, HHKB-esque Keyboard  (Read 4311 times)

Offline regallegion

RL64 - A split space, HHKB-esque Keyboard
« on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 02:20:15 »
Since I'm finally getting to the point where I might be making physical mistakes, it's probably good to open up my thoughts to some feedback.

The Design
I've started to take a real liking to the HHKB layout, or at least 60% layouts that incorporate the split shift and split backspace into their design. I used to love my Planck's and JD45's split spacebar design and thought that incorporating that into a HHKB layout would be awesome. When thinking about how I incorporate a split space, I realized that you can nicely utilize the keys that most sets would have to cover the 7u space, splitting that 7u into a 1u-2.25u-2.75u-1u pattern. If you utilized the ISO style left shift along with the split right shift, you could get pretty solid keyset compatibility as long as your keyset provides Tsangan/WKL compatibility. For most modern sets, that should be no problem!

So here's my idea for the layout and possible PCB compatibility:

And here's what a board might look like:
More

(I'm just hyped waiting for GMK Terminal, don't mind me ;))

But as you can see, with the normal number of mods, you can fill out the whole board a have some schweeeeet split space action going on.

Compatibility
I also have concepts for pretty complex but complete bottom row compatibility...
More

I'm not sure how many of these combos I would want to actually work into the finalized PCB, as including all of them could make things fairly complex, as well as making the cutouts and hole placement impractical.

The tentative plan in my head is to go with a 7u space compatibility and simply provide more placement options, such as doing 2.25u-1u-1u-2.75u (Inside 1u's) or 1u-2.75u-2.25u-1u (Swapped space lengths). This would give people the freedom to set up the board how they wanted without muddling the PCB design too much.

"So, where is the project right now?" you might ask.

TODO:
  • Finalize compatibility (WIP)
  • Finish PCB design (WIP)
  • Finalize Plate compatibility
  • Get everything fabricated!

Currently, this is just a pet project and I don't have any plans to bring this to a group buy or larger scale production, but if there is enough interest I'd be happy to try and get people rolling with a version of the board.

I do plan on posting all of my files as I finish work on things, however, so theoretically if there isn't enough interest for a full group buy someone would be able to have a single board fabricated.

What do you guys think?! Anything I'm missing or overlooking? Got a better name?! (Please someone have a cooler name..)

Offline clickityClackity

Re: RL64 - A split space, HHKB-esque Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 02:40:49 »
I would definitely be interested,  what you're working on is very close to what I'm looking for. I actually ended up getting a HHKB JIS version and remapped space bar to be tab, and the buttons to the right and left if it to space and backspace.

It's really hard to go back to a regular space bar, and I love HHKB layout (as long as I can customize it).

On that note,  if anyone is looking for a black HHKB with blank keycaps and HASU controller, PM me.

This is great, I'll keep an eye on your work! Any thought of adding another column like JIS boards (or having the ability to make it)? Then you might actually have my dream board!

How about "Happy Heathens Keyboard"?

Offline regallegion

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 23:46:29 »
I would definitely be interested,  what you're working on is very close to what I'm looking for. I actually ended up getting a HHKB JIS version and remapped space bar to be tab, and the buttons to the right and left if it to space and backspace.

It's really hard to go back to a regular space bar, and I love HHKB layout (as long as I can customize it).

On that note,  if anyone is looking for a black HHKB with blank keycaps and HASU controller, PM me.

This is great, I'll keep an eye on your work! Any thought of adding another column like JIS boards (or having the ability to make it)? Then you might actually have my dream board!

How about "Happy Heathens Keyboard"?
More
Show Image

I'm happy that you're interested!!

Looking at the layout of the JIS boards, the bottom row offset is only .25u as compared to the ANSI .5u. This allows for the added row of keys on the right side of the board. I've never used this setup, but I imagine it doesn't take too long to get used to. I'd be slightly worried about changing the keyset compatibility if we went with this design however, as most of the keysets I have don't have 2u shifts... I could look at adding 1u-1.75u right shift support as that would be fairly trivial to add and would give a you a layout closer to what you're looking for.

Happy Heathens Keyboard is pretty good, though the initialism might be a little confusing ;)

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 23:46:18 »
I've tried so many interesting layouts so, at least personally, it did not take nearly any time getting used to. I actually prefer it, but I also have no qualms with a non-staggerrd layout.

Yeah compatibility could potentially be a pain in the ass, you'll notice I don't have the shift transplanted from the RF keyboard for that exact reason, so I'm with you on that one.

This the first time I've seen anything like this, but did you catch a glimpse of the layout options in KB60/KB64 keyboard that's on Massdrop now? I freaking love that, but probably out of the scope of this project. Attaching picture of PCB

Please let us know about your progress, excited to see where it goes!

Offline regallegion

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 20:55:54 »
I've tried so many interesting layouts so, at least personally, it did not take nearly any time getting used to. I actually prefer it, but I also have no qualms with a non-staggerrd layout.

Yeah compatibility could potentially be a pain in the ass, you'll notice I don't have the shift transplanted from the RF keyboard for that exact reason, so I'm with you on that one.

This the first time I've seen anything like this, but did you catch a glimpse of the layout options in KB60/KB64 keyboard that's on Massdrop now? I freaking love that, but probably out of the scope of this project. Attaching picture of PCB

Please let us know about your progress, excited to see where it goes!
Show Image

I'll definitely give it some thought. It doesn't look too bad though! I'll probably leave it out of the first proof of concept, unless I'm feeling particularly daring, though.

I'm also thinking about tightening the hatches slightly, and going for a more diverse 7u compatibility set instead of supporting 6u and 6.25u layouts. Besides, if you want those the Banana Split is already here!

Also, what do you think about going with The Platoon-64? Then using Mk.1, etc. for versioning? Thinking of branding as Legion Keyboards, so I could stick to the military units thing...

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 11:40:59 »
That makes sense. I can't wait to see how it turns out! I have a Clueboard I'm the mail that officially shipped today which uses 6.25u spacebar layout but offers several layout options. I can send a picture of the PCB when it arrives if you'd like. Given, that had a full sized bottom row not HHKB style.

I imagine that anyone interested in this (myself included) would probably not be using a full size spacebar so 7u, 6u, either way it seems all good!

I like The Platoon-64, is the 64 for the #of keys? If so how about The Platoon-6X? Mk.1 etc is awesome. 

Keep us updated! Here's a picture of the Clurboard layout options. I'm stoked to get it in and play around with it!