Author Topic: Making a 60% case: how to mount PCB?  (Read 1977 times)

Offline fnurl

Making a 60% case: how to mount PCB?
« on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 07:11:49 »
I want to make my own wooden case/bottom from wood. Mostly because I think it would be nice to have made it myself, and wood is the most accessible non-3D printed material to me.

Will start with just a nice planed, sanded and varnished board, then make one with sides.

What I am wondering is how to mount the board. Looking at the Glam wooden cases, they have glued threaded "mounting holes" (I'm a non-native English speaker... what are they called?). Are they just ordinary PCB mounting spacers/brackets?

Would be great if I could buy something hollow that was threaded outside and inside with a hex shape rim. That way I could screw it in to the wood and use a nut on the outside to adjust the height.

Are there such things? Where can I buy them if they exist?

Or is it possible to make them (considering their small size) using some tool available to hobbyists?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: Making a 60% case: how to mount PCB?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 07:15:55 »
I believe you mean these.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 08:34:22 »
"threaded insert" or "threaded bushing" is what you are looking for. There are lots of different types.

Poker-compatible parts are designed for M2 screws and most hardware stores even in the EU stock screws down to only M3, so you may have to order them online.
🍉

Offline fnurl

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 08:47:17 »
"threaded insert" or "threaded bushing" is what you are looking for. There are lots of different types.

Poker-compatible parts are designed for M2 screws and most hardware stores even in the EU stock screws down to only M3, so you may have to order them online.

I believe you mean these.

Thanks for the info, terminology and link!