Author Topic: Norwegian keycaps  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Ziggurat

Norwegian keycaps
« on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 17:17:56 »
So I bought an ErgoDox kit, this is my first mechanical keyboard. I went with Cherry MX Red switches, I spent about 15 minutes in the PC parts store to try a few keyboard and it seamed like a good first.

If possible I plan on seeing if I can also do LED's on the kit, the mass drop Infinity ErgoDox PCB looks like it supports it and a google search that led me here also seamed to indicate this.

So then how would I go about getting key caps, so specialized, that they would be the right shapes for ErgoDox, translucent letters, and localized to my language? Oh Danish is okay as well, they just switch over two keys, and *shrugs* I can accept Swedish as well but those two keys have the corresponding letters with umlaut ( ¨ )

So am I SOL or is there hope without breaking the bank? I ordered some blank keys with the kit, would I be better of printing on them?

(Edit: Also I can settle for keycaps with non translucent letters)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: Norwegian keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 09:36:45 »
to be realistic, it's very unlikely. US users already have a problem finding Ergodox keycaps in English, so most will use blanks.

I recommend you buy blanks, then use a label printer to produce suitable labels.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 15:22:43 »
Ducky makes keycaps for backlighting in "Nordic" layout for their regular keyboards. "Nordic layout" is Swedish/Finnish, Norwegian and Danish combined. Unfortunately, they place Swedish/Finnish at the top so that only those (ÅÄÖ) are backlit instead of the correct symbols for Norwegian (ÅÆØ).
But you would still have to use blanks for the keys that are in special sizes for ErgoDox.

Sometimes, there is a group buy for a key set on PimpMyKeyboard.com or here which contains an ErgoDox kit as an add-on. However, custom key sets for any European layout in general is unusual and it is very unusual for there being an ErgoDox and a kit for any European layouts in the same group buy.

I use Swedish layout. My keycaps are for the wrong language (UK or DE) and/or vintage, "blank" without legends altogether or with custom printing from WASD Keyboards. Getting nice new keycaps in Swedish (only) seems nearly impossible.

I do have an ErgoDox (that I do not use very much), and on that I have custom-printed keycaps from WASD Keyboards - where the keys are the same as in a regular row-staggered keyboard layout.
Where the keys are special for the ErgoDox, I do instead use blank keys from WASD Keyboards in different colours for showing their functions.

If I was going to add labels to blank keys, I would start with some light-coloured keys. Then print on water-transfer decal paper and attach those decals to the front of the keycaps where they wouldn't suffer my fingers hammering on them.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 April 2015, 15:29:37 by Findecanor »

Offline Ziggurat

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 02:54:20 »
Thanks guys, I am a bit more informed now. I know a guy that works at a print shop, so I think I can get laser cut stickers for cheap. I might even want to put them on stealth :)

I might even go for custom full out custom singles. Just need to figure out the sizes, but there was a guide.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 04:47:13 »
Yeah finding sets to fit standard layouts is a problem for us Scandinavians, but finding one that would work with a ErgoDox seems impossible unless you can design your own set or at least caps

ISO struggle is real  :/
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 05:00:14 »
Massdrop is having a "drop" of matt3o's Granite set. You would have to get the Base set, the International set and the Ergodoxian set... but note that the 1.5 wide keys of the Ergodoxian set are still for US-ANSI.

The original ErgoDox PCB was supposed to have support for 1×1 keys on the outer columns, but there was a bug so it was never really supported and you had to do drill the PCB to make it work. Then the Infinity version dropped the idea of 1×1 support completely.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 April 2015, 05:02:17 by Findecanor »

Offline Ziggurat

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 03:39:03 »
Yeah finding sets to fit standard layouts is a problem for us Scandinavians, but finding one that would work with a ErgoDox seems impossible unless you can design your own set or at least caps

ISO struggle is real  :/

Massdrop is having a "drop" of matt3o's Granite set. You would have to get the Base set, the International set and the Ergodoxian set... but note that the 1.5 wide keys of the Ergodoxian set are still for US-ANSI.

The original ErgoDox PCB was supposed to have support for 1×1 keys on the outer columns, but there was a bug so it was never really supported and you had to do drill the PCB to make it work. Then the Infinity version dropped the idea of 1×1 support completely.

Right now it seams as if I am going to order an ISO Custom Cherry MX Keycap Set with all of the 1x1 Keycap Compatibility options.

I thought I'd do it something like this, (note the RGB keys in the top right would depend on how I want my layout to be really)

Then Id order Custom Text Cherry MX Keycaps with the correct sizes for the incompatible keys.

EDIT:
Actually I'd take the 105-Key ISO Custom Cherry MX Keycap Set with all the 1x1 compatibily options checked, and make a layout file so I could use the extra 1x1 and 1x2 keys from the number pad as cheap custom singles. I'd need to wait until I get my ErgoDox to make sure I chose the correct layout :D Doing this could also give me the ability to have some second layer keys defined as offset smaller colored legends. :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 April 2015, 04:09:15 by Ziggurat »