Author Topic: pbt...  (Read 3243 times)

Offline jamdox

pbt...
« on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 16:10:44 »
Got the vortex pbt doubleshot caps from mechanicalkeyboards.  I'm underwhelmed.

First, they didn't come in a nice can, instead they came in a plain plastic bag like the massdrop ones.  Second, they're not as thick as I'd like.  That, and all they really do is have a nicer matte fishish relative to the ones that came on the shine.  They don't change the "feel" of the keypress or anything esoteric like that.

Am I missing something?
AEKII
Ducky Shine II w/ Clears
NMB RT8256CW+

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: pbt...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 16:11:53 »
You didn't like something for various reasons. Shouldn't that prove to you that you don't like it and you can move on. That's like asking "oh I ate a rainbow and I didn't enjoy the taste. Should I like the rainbow?" Trust your own judgment. It's not like we're going to be typing on your board for you.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 16:22:33 »
the biggest differences are the texture and the durability.  i like how they feel on my fingertip a little better than ABS, but it's not a real big difference.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 16:27:53 »
I've only ever tried thin ABS and thin PBT (with thick of both on the way). I don't feel a difference in general between ABS and PBT. Cap shape and profile makes much more of a difference IMO.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 16:44:04 »
PBT is love, PBT is life.

A keyboard with even one single key ABS is LITERALLY UNUSABLE.

Offline jamdox

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 17:12:18 »

R-really?
AEKII
Ducky Shine II w/ Clears
NMB RT8256CW+

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 17:19:45 »
Thickness, profile, and texture have a way bigger effect than plastic type.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 19:24:52 »
I can't stand most PBT caps. Give me GMK double shot ABS any day. Or SP's SA profile.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 20:38:37 »

I can't stand most PBT caps. Give me GMK double shot ABS any day. Or SP's SA profile.
I agree, GMK just feels right

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 21:30:18 »

HHKB owners unite against the heretic!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 09:52:49 »
The PBT on my G2Pro feels soooo good, cant use ABS anymore
But the thin PBT on my 88ub feels... Odd, they dont give the real PBT experience. Even the thin white blank PBT set I got feels better than the topre PBT caps I got with the keyboard :/

PBT is life tho, only heathens use ABS (unless its custom sets and non OEM profile, Ill allow that tho)
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline Hoaryhag

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 10:23:14 »
If the keypresses don't feel any different I doubt you are missing anything.  Get something you like and sell the rest.  I have some thick blank white pbt keys and like them overall.  If I compare the stock Poker 2 caps with the thick blank white set the Poker caps almost look thicker but they don't seem to weigh as much and the difference in typing feel is night and day.  The density and finish of the keys just aren't the same.  Just cause its pbt doesn't mean its good pbt.  About the vortex keys idk.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 April 2015, 10:28:16 by Hoaryhag »

Offline Special K

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 15:44:42 »

How does the thickness of GMK ABS doubleshots compare to that of the Vortex PBT doubleshots?  I bought 2 sets of the Vortex PBT doubleshots when they were on sale on MD about a month ago.  They are supposed to be delivered this week.  I'm hoping they are thicker than  my stock Filco caps.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 15:50:37 »
the vortex isn't that thick.  i don't have any GMK yet, but i'm expecting it to be thicker than the vortex PBT.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 15:52:16 »

How does the thickness of GMK ABS doubleshots compare to that of the Vortex PBT doubleshots?  I bought 2 sets of the Vortex PBT doubleshots when they were on sale on MD about a month ago.  They are supposed to be delivered this week.  I'm hoping they are thicker than  my stock Filco caps.

GMK DS ABS will be much thicker than the Vortex PBT (which is very thin). Nonetheless, the Vortex sets you have coming should be nicer than the stock Filco caps.
null

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 15:58:23 »
Thickness, profile, and texture have a way bigger effect than plastic type.

Totally agree.

In fact, PBT and ABS respond differently to texturing (probably because of the shrinkage differences).  PBT with little or no texture feels really good, whereas ABS needs some texturing to keep it from being too shiny.

Offline Data

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 19:53:07 »
I'm gonna be that guy in these threads who says POM is king, just to get it out of the way.

POM is king.

I'd be willing to bet most people can't tell the difference between the 3 in a blind test. Joey Quinn is right.

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 20:53:12 »
I'm gonna be that guy in these threads who says POM is king, just to get it out of the way.

POM is king.

I'd be willing to bet most people can't tell the difference between the 3 in a blind test. Joey Quinn is right.

I actually just ordered some POM front-printed caps off of Aliexpress.com. Since they are my first front-printed set,  even if I can't tell the difference, it won't be a total loss. :) I'm looking forward to it!

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 20:54:32 »
I would not trade ABS GMK Double Shots for ANY PBT keysets

Offline Special K

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 22:26:29 »
How often do ABS GMK doubleshot group buys come around?  The last one I saw was for the Triumph Adler set, but I just wasn't a fan of the color scheme unfortunately.

Also do all ABS GMK doubleshots use Cherry profile and scooped F and J keys?
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 23:49:04 »
BSP>>GMK with the exception of color options
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 10:16:11 »
Where do you buy BSP keys?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 12:36:54 »

BSP has rotated stems.

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 12:46:46 »

BSP has rotated stems.
I haven't noticed any rotated stems on mine, a couple of the longer keys are warped
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline burn1nsun

• My stupid YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 13:50:38 »
You'll get over the buyers remorse soon and then you will like them probably!
HHKB Pro 2 l Pok3r Gateron Blacks