Author Topic: Arrow cluster shapes. Classical, and "T" shaped.  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
Arrow cluster shapes. Classical, and "T" shaped.
« on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 21:00:31 »
I'd like to have Your opinion. I'm considering a different arrow cluster shape ("T" shaped, see picture). Some guy said to me that
this "T" shape feels uncomfortable for him, and he prefers the classical WASD shape. Do you think the same, and why?

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Arrow cluster shapes. Classical, and "T" shaped.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 21:07:47 »
I'd agree with classical.

I find it more comfortable because I hit the vertical arrows with my middle finger. I think the T shape would need me to curl my middle finger too much, especially since most of the time I want to keep the adjacent fingers on the left and right arrows.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 July 2016, 21:10:35 by Lastpilot »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 21:12:15 »
Just tried it, feels very wrong. I think it just defies the natural movement of the fingers.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 21:26:22 »
I prefer them in this order:

Inverted T.
Plus sign (Old NCR PC4)
In a row (VIM like)
L shaped.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 22:16:40 »
Just tried it, feels very wrong. I think it just defies the natural movement of the fingers.

Yup, it's much more natural to move the middle finger up to hit the odd-man-out key than to move down. If anyone thought this was a good idea we'd be using Q-W-E-S for games instead of W-A-S-D.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 July 2016, 22:19:29 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 22:35:43 »

Yup, it's much more natural to move the middle finger up to hit the odd-man-out key than to move down. If anyone thought this was a good idea we'd be using Q-W-E-S for games instead of W-A-S-D.

What is that in your avi?

Offline Tactile

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 22:45:51 »

Just an old typewriter.
REΛLFORCE

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 22:50:01 »

Just an old typewriter.

Ah!, it should be the lens that makes the typewriter to look as if it was an sphere.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 23:28:45 »
I'd go with the classical, it's more comfortable to reach for the top row, than the bottom row.  In this case your home row contains the left, down, right keys.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 19:29:45 »
Based on my muscle memory, inverted T all the time!

Or, based on my vi experience, left/down/up/right arrows in that order, overlaid on hjkl keycaps :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Darkshado

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 14:29:57 »
To this day, I generally use WERD as my movement keys in FPSs and other games with similar movement mechanics (e.g. third person stuff like the later GTAs).

(Background: Came up with this arrangement by placing my hand on the keyboard at a time when WASD wasn't the popular default it is today; heck, I probably hadn't even heard about it. Going from memory, I'd guess this happened while playing Quake II or Action Quake 2 with GameSpy to browse servers on a 56k dialup connection.)

However, I prefer the usual inverted T for typing. I won't pretend there was a lot of thinking involved in reaching WERD, but looking back it might have had to do with the "dominant" movement you do in either activity? Forwards in games, downwards when typing / reviewing some document or code.

If you're building something entirely custom, some ergo boards (e.g. TECK) use a "flattened cruciform" with the left and right keys flanking up and down in the middle, right between the inverted T and T positions you're describing. Some Microsoft Natural series boards have "narrow cruciform" with up, and and right underneath on the same line, then down.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 14:34:24 »
My middle finger is noticeably longer than the other two arrow fingers so inverted makes sense to me, if it were shorter T would be better as I press up way more often than down so up needs to be more comfortable.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 14:57:00 »
Touch Cursor

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 15:34:20 »
BTW, the History of the Inverse-T is a piece of interesting reading.

You can try the star-shape / down key being one row down on the numeric keypad.
🍉

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 08:19:15 »
Wow, interesting article, Findecanor! Especially Jim Burrow's "Diamond" shape is very interesting. I gotta copy that idea :-) Yes, I guess I get the point. Most people will prefer the mainstream inverted "T". (For myself, I'm coming from the era, were numpads where the only option to use arrow keys, that is cross-shaped arrows.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 July 2016, 08:27:14 by Eszett »

Offline Aricil

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 12:53:57 »
I think it'd be really weird to go to the arrow cluster being that. I dunno if that's just muscle memory and being used to the traditional layout, however.
Professional amateur.