Author Topic: Duck Lightsaber v2 worklog  (Read 4824 times)

Offline fknraiden

Duck Lightsaber v2 worklog
« on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 20:36:11 »
First "expensive" keyboard. Prior boards: Filco MJ1 TKL Browns, Poker II Clears.
Got this from a user in the classifieds and ended up not being what I thought it was. I ended up burning off some diode pads on that pcb with a **** iron,  so I got in touch with the guys over at kbd4u and they shipped me a v2 pcb and a couple blockers I didn't end up using.
Sorry in advance for the potatoes.
Mx Tactile Greys with Spirit 85g springs, some were squeaky so I lightly lubed the springs which seemed to work.

Since I had a v1 plate and pcb originally, I couldn't do the layout I wanted with the plate. So instead of going plateless I took a dremel and just took out the slots preventing me from putting switches/spacebar stabilizer in the location I wanted them to be.

So now everything was ready to be soldered and put together

yay!
thanks for taking the time to get to the bottom.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2015, 20:58:36 by fknraiden »

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: Duck Lightsaber v2 worklog
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 00:46:32 »
I still need to build mine.  :confused:

Looks great dude!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 00:51:23 »
two questions:

- did you burn the diode pads by applying the soldering iron for too long?

- 85g greys sound heavy, how comfortable are you on those?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 02:55:16 »
Do I spot a mx lock on caps lock?

Isn't it "Lighsaver" instead of Lightsaber ?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 02:57:20 »

I've seen it called both, my v1 PCB says Lightsaber but I've been calling it a Lightsaver.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 02:57:34 »

Pcb says saber. Either way, I think they changed it from v1 to v2.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 03:03:00 »
two questions:

- did you burn the diode pads by applying the soldering iron for too long?

- 85g greys sound heavy, how comfortable are you on those?

I'll take some photos later, my previous keyboard had stock clears and they sometimes felt light. I like the very responsive keystroke, dont notice any finger strain.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 03:42:09 »
First "expensive" keyboard. Prior boards: Filco MJ1 TKL Browns, Poker II Clears.
Got this from a user in the classifieds and ended up not being what I thought it was. I ended up burning off some diode pads on that pcb so I got in touch with the guys over at kbd4u and they shipped me a v2 pcb and a couple blockers I didn't end up using.
Mx Tactile Greys with Spirit 85g springs, some were squeaky so I lightly lubed the springs which seemed to work.
Show Image

Show Image

Since I had a v1 plate and pcb originally, I couldn't do the layout I wanted with the plate. So instead of going plateless I took a dremel and just took out the slots preventing me from putting switches/spacebar stabilizer in the location I wanted them to be.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

yay!

Nice build I like it. Damn the dolch set is just so nice. I love it. I wish I was able to get into the group buy ...

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 03:47:10 »
More
Got this from a user in the classifieds and ended up not being what I thought it was. I ended up burning off some diode pads on that pcb so I got in touch with the guys over at kbd4u and they shipped me a v2 pcb and a couple blockers I didn't end up using.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

yay!

Nice build I like it. Damn the dolch set is just so nice. I love it. I wish I was able to get into the group buy ...

I think zeal might still have some sets. But at this point the hyperfuse looks awesome.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 03:53:01 »
More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

yay!

I think zeal might still have some sets. But at this point the hyperfuse looks awesome.

Yeah I know he has some but they are a bit to expensive for me. I jumped in the Hyperfuse anyway. The only thing is that I would have love to have a few more cyan keycaps like in the dolch.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 03:59:07 »
Hyperfuse looks awesome, hopefully you get them soon. I had a old og dolch set and decided to stick with it and get new caps.

Offline ceflame

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 04:05:11 »
Nice build log! The keyboard is beautiful.

I'm glad you got the layout you wanted in the end :D

How much of a difference are you finding 85g tactile grays to stock clears? I took a quick look at Sprit's MX spring comparison and it is recorded as "similar" to MX clears.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 04:22:06 »
Nice build log! The keyboard is beautiful.

I'm glad you got the layout you wanted in the end :D

How much of a difference are you finding 85g tactile grays to stock clears? I took a quick look at Sprit's MX spring comparison and it is recorded as "similar" to MX clears.

it starts out a little stronger, but stays consistent throughout. bottoming out is lighter.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 17:41:00 »
please upload the photos when you have the time, i'll be assembling my octagon in the near future and the thought of making similar mistakes make me anxious. really strong fingers btw