Author Topic: Poker keyboard - OFFICIAL PRE-ORDER / PRE-PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS  (Read 213843 times)

Offline kidchunks

Poker keyboard - OFFICIAL PRE-ORDER / PRE-PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 13:07:33 »
Quote from: chel-;315307
also does anyone know if there is perhaps a way to get the tilde and esc keys to swap? So instead of accessing esc through the fn key set it to esc by default and have tilde accessible through fn. Or is that what the last row in the usermanual table says?

fn key + "q" swaps them out.
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline pm_

« Reply #151 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 13:49:45 »
Quote from: s7e;315110

From the samples of this boards that was reviewed, the keys were black text on black keys with white labels for fn keys (on the front). The keys on this one are black with white text and nothing on the front side of the keys? The same with the replacements being sold?

I think the included caps are black with a laser etching, filled with white lettering. They have to have the legends on them too, otherwise people wouldn't know the modifiers.  Someone please correct me if this is wrong.

Now the replacements, I'm pretty sure those have no legends on them for the modifier row...I'm pretty sure iMav confirmed that.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 14:36:29 »
April is almost here and I am getting excited!
(I do not want to see the pic that Ripster has locked and loaded in reply to that.)

A thought...Once the order is placed, we should have an "office pool" to  see when we think the order will show up at iMav's place.  Winner gets a  free set of keycaps, on me!  

First come, first served, one diate to one person.  Color of your choice depending on the availability of extras n the shipment.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline zaerst

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 17:10:07 »
May 31st

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 17:26:46 »
I'm not checking the status of the entries, but was assuming that you should probably order a KBC Poker in this group buy to be eligible for the pool.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline sadbox

• life coaching since 1990
    • sadbox dot org
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 20:08:14 »
Just send payment for 1x w/ Blues!

Can't wait!
Work: Topre Realforce + CST L-Trac
Home: QFR (Blues, Blank Black PBT caps) + CST L-Trac-X

Offline curzen

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 20:13:52 »
Spent the last couple of days reading up on keyboards given that I'm putting together a system for home use again instead of just using laptops.
Remembered the good old times in the 80s/90s with mechanical boards which is why I ended up here.

I'll most likely try to squeak in on the  pre order just before the end of the month after posting a question or two the next days (too tired right now).
[ KBC Poker ]

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 20:19:03 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Offline jfaulken

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 22:04:12 »
Paid! 1 x MX-Browns.  iMav, you rock.
SIIG Mechanical
Filco Tenkeyless Cherry MX Blues
Poker MX Brown (not here yet FFFFUUUU)
Leopold FC200R Cherry MX Browns (not here yet either)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 00:00:04 »
quick question, do i need a paypal account to send payment?

i want one :D
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline misterbobster

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 01:44:58 »
hmm going to start a countdown of 15 weeks. Can't wait!

Offline pm_

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 04:39:17 »
Quote from: ripster;315524
Don't think so.  At least the Deskthroaty.net ones are pad printed.

Hmm.  In Sixty's review, he says they are PBT keycaps.  In Webwits review, he says the are ABS.  As far as I can tell, without any macro shots, they look the same to me.  So in the reviews, are they PBT or ABS, or did they get models with different keycaps?  They're both lasered if I'm not mistaken, and that's why I thought they would be lasered with a white fill.  :/

iMav, do you know if they are lasered or printed?  I'm hoping lasered...I need those legends on the sides! :)

Offline NeverDie

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 05:18:43 »
So wait, the keyboards will be arriving to OP's house around June? It takes THAT long? O_O
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 05:49:00 »
Quote from: NeverDie;315814
So wait, the keyboards will be arriving to OP's house around June? It takes THAT long? O_O

This is because until May, iMav will still have those many key caps in his house^[[1;5Dware, so there would be no space left for keyboards!
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline NeverDie

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 07:08:19 »
Quote from: 7bit;315817
This is because until May, iMav will still have those many key caps in his house^[[1;5Dware, so there would be no space left for keyboards!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 10:26:29 »
KBC gave me the following time table:

Approximately 6-8 weeks to produce the keyboards (blacks, blues, and browns)...12-14 weeks for the reds.

I would say that this is worst case scenario with some buffer...but since this is the first order from us, I have no tangible evidence to base that on.  :)

Offline chel-

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 10:33:03 »
Damn that's a long time. Oh well, I'll forget I ordered one and in a couple months I'll have a nice surprise at my door.

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 11:02:47 »
Quote from: pm_;315809
Hmm.  In Sixty's review, he says they are PBT keycaps.  In Webwits review, he says the are ABS.  As far as I can tell, without any macro shots, they look the same to me.  So in the reviews, are they PBT or ABS, or did they get models with different keycaps?  They're both lasered if I'm not mistaken, and that's why I thought they would be lasered with a white fill.  :/

iMav, do you know if they are lasered or printed?  I'm hoping lasered...I need those legends on the sides! :)

The sample keycaps were laser engraved PBT. The retail version will be ABS with a white print. I am not sure myself if it is laser printed or pad printed, as far as I can tell the keycaps are the same as on the old DAS3.

Offline curzen

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 19:40:33 »
Quote from: sixty;315960
The sample keycaps were laser engraved PBT. The retail version will be ABS with a white print. I am not sure myself if it is laser printed or pad printed, as far as I can tell the keycaps are the same as on the old DAS3.

which would mean the Pokers will have the previously shown slightly more angular font? that'd be neat. Now I just need to figure out the difference between ABS and PBT to figure out if I should order extra keycaps.

PS: any idea how they'll ship to the US, cheap by ship or airmail?
[ KBC Poker ]

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 22:53:54 »
Looks really cool, and a great price!  As tempting as this board is, I need a numpad. :(
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline Kairxa

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 22:55:21 »
May I have an exception in payment? I'll be able to pay after 5th of April..

If yes, then I'm in for an MX Red board.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 March 2011, 11:39:27 by Kairxa »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 01:41:03 »
should we send money as gift or payment?

ive talked myself into getting one to try out mx blacks (already have blue, getting leopold browns in the elitekb preorder).

now to save up money for a HHKB pro 2 lol
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline mrsone

• Recovering Rubber Dome User
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 03:26:16 »
Payment sent. I am all atwitter with joy as I have ordered a set of reds for myself. I will finally be able to try the reds without breaking the bank! Bless you, iMav for bringing this to Geekhack!
Keyboards currently in my possession:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Brown 104 key, Unicomp Spacesaver 104, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Leopold 660C Mini Capacitive keyboard, HHKB Type S, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Keypads:
Leopold 210TP Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Red), Leopold FC210TP/NB Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Brown)

Other Keyboards I have tried:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Red, Leopold  FC500RR/AB Linear Touch Cherry MX Red, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition, Realforce 103U/UB, Realforce 103U Black All 55g, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Black keyboard, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Red keyboard (white and black color versions), PLU G3000 NKRO keyboard (white w/ Cherry MX Red switches), Dell 101AT (black Alps switches), Mattias Mini Quiet Pro (modified white Alps switches), KBT Pure Pro, (2)Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, Leopold FC210TP/CB Tactile Click Cherry MX Blue Tenkey pad

Offline iMav

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 12:38:46 »
Quote from: demik;316554
should we send money as gift or payment?
A gift would be preferable...but I won't require it (since some of you may trust me more then others).  :)

Offline Kairxa

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 13:18:42 »
Nevermind me, just found the board in taobao, I'll just ask my friend over there to bring em here when he's home in June.
Thanks anyway!
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 March 2011, 14:36:30 by Kairxa »

Offline Chrontius

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 19:10:01 »
Just found these.  Are Cherry Clears an option?

Can we have a DIP switch to swap alt and meta?

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 19:14:02 »
Quote from: Chrontius;317213
Just found these.  Are Cherry Clears an option?

You can't order one with clears, but if you bought an inexpensive keyboard off ebay with clears, it's very easy to swap them on without any soldering.

Offline Amp

« Reply #177 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 05:00:26 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;317220
You can't order one with clears, but if you bought an inexpensive keyboard off ebay with clears, it's very easy to swap them on without any soldering.

Really? Could I just pull them out by hand, or something?

I wonder if it would be possible, then, to simply order a bag of the microswitches themselves, if swapping is as easy as advertised.
Gear
Mouse: Diamondback 3G
Surface: Goliathus Speed
Keyboard: SteelSeries 7G

Offline Konrad

« Reply #178 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 06:30:04 »
[strike]Ripster's[/strike] Geekhack's wiki describes (and links to threads about) DIY tools for key pulling.  You can even use loops of dental floss.

Offline steeef

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 07:46:22 »
Quote from: Amp;317521
Really? Could I just pull them out by hand, or something?

I wonder if it would be possible, then, to simply order a bag of the microswitches themselves, if swapping is as easy as advertised.

Last I checked it'd be about $80 for 100 pcb-mountable clear switches from Mouser. You should be able to find a Cherry board from Ebay for less than that, you just have to be patient. Still, they're available if you have the cash.
Cherry MX Blue: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless. Cherry MX Black: TG3 KBA-BLTD-5RBUVS (Police Cruiser keyboard). Cherry MX Clear: KBC Poker (modded with Ergo Clears) Cherry MX Brown: Goldtouch GTC-077 USB numpad. Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401 (1989-01-03 and 1991-11-21).

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 08:40:08 »
when is the last day to order
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline iMav

« Reply #181 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 20:39:50 »
Quote from: noodles256;317590
when is the last day to order

Tenatively, 31 March 2011.

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 13:49:50 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;317220

The keys with LEDs require soldering to get the top off, you could change everything that dosen't have an LED under it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 March 2011, 13:53:40 by elbowglue »
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #183 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 23:25:55 »
payment sent for Poker Red

Thanks iMav
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline n12

« Reply #184 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 14:23:58 »
Ugh, I am so excited :X can't wait for these to come someday!

Offline stupefaction

« Reply #185 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 19:12:00 »
I've been looking for an affordable, compact, mechanical keyboard for a while now. Currently I'm using a SIIG Mini Multimedia, which has the layout I want but irks me constantly with its mushy and shallow key travel. The Poker 60% seems ideal in all but two respects. First there's the merging of the tilde and ESC keys into one, which worries me because I often use the tilde on the command line and even more frequently use ESC in vim. I've decided that I can live with that if I use the ESC lock all the time and learn to use FN for the tilde.

The second problem, which I fear may be a deal breaker, is that the Poker 60% is pitched upward by half an inch from the front row to the back row, according to a previous post. I've been using zero-pitch keyboards for years now, and I'm not sure I want to go back.

I realize there are other places to discuss this kind of thing, except that the end of the month is approaching quickly and I have to decide if I want to get in on this deal. From my limited knowledge of the market, it appears that $95 is an excellent price for a compact keyboard with MX-Brown switches, but I don't want to throw that kind of money out the window either. So I'm turning to you, gentle readers, for help with my dilemma.

If you're someone who prefers zero-pitch keyboards but also likes the feel of mechanical switches and insists on a compact layout, is the Poker 60% an acceptable compromise? Are there other offerings in the $100 range that do meet all of my criteria, or is that a pipe dream? Finally, if I order the Poker 60% and then decide that I can't live with the non-zero pitch, what are the chances that I can resell it here or on eBay without taking too great a loss?
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2011, 19:36:13 by stupefaction »
Waiting for something better than my SIIG USB Mini Multimedia. Can\'t imagine anything better than the Logitech Marble Mouse. Avatar derived from the original image by Thomas Shahan under the CC-BY-2.0 license.

Offline iMav

« Reply #186 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 19:43:12 »
stupefaction,  I believe you'd have little issue reselling this keyboard in the classifieds section.  I, too, like my keyboards either flat or even with a negative pitch.  I don't think it will be an issue, but if it is, I'm sure I could find some round, rubber feet for the front of the 'board...but, like I said, I don't think it will be an issue.

I say go for it.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 21:13:35 »
Quote from: iMav;319221
stupefaction,  I believe you'd have little issue reselling this keyboard in the classifieds section.  I, too, like my keyboards either flat or even with a negative pitch.  I don't think it will be an issue, but if it is, I'm sure I could find some round, rubber feet for the front of the 'board...but, like I said, I don't think it will be an issue.

I say go for it.

I agree, you'll have no problem selling it around here.  The other option would be to take off the stock base (which internally provides the incline you are not inclined to like) and make a plain flat one for it to sit on, if you're handy with that sort of thing.  I might end up doing that anyway as I have some carbon plate sitting around.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #188 on: Sun, 27 March 2011, 05:31:58 »
I used to have to have my keyboards flat, a habit learned from years of using laptops. If actually make an effort to type properly though, and lift my wrists properly, not only can I type faster, I find it alot more comfortable if I have a little bit of pitch on the keyboard.

Offline mrsone

« Reply #189 on: Sun, 27 March 2011, 11:04:32 »
Quote from: Brodie337;319452
I used to have to have my keyboards flat, a habit learned from years of using laptops. If actually make an effort to type properly though, and lift my wrists properly, not only can I type faster, I find it alot more comfortable if I have a little bit of pitch on the keyboard.

I have noticed the same thing. I can bang out some text fine on a flat keyboard but my comfort and accuracy goes way up when I am using the right technique and a little slope on the keyboard.

I think the keyboard is worth a try. The poker should be able to sell easily, though,  especially to someone who may not have gotten go get in on the preorder.
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Brown 104 key, Unicomp Spacesaver 104, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Leopold 660C Mini Capacitive keyboard, HHKB Type S, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Keypads:
Leopold 210TP Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Red), Leopold FC210TP/NB Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Brown)

Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Red, Leopold  FC500RR/AB Linear Touch Cherry MX Red, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition, Realforce 103U/UB, Realforce 103U Black All 55g, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Black keyboard, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Red keyboard (white and black color versions), PLU G3000 NKRO keyboard (white w/ Cherry MX Red switches), Dell 101AT (black Alps switches), Mattias Mini Quiet Pro (modified white Alps switches), KBT Pure Pro, (2)Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, Leopold FC210TP/CB Tactile Click Cherry MX Blue Tenkey pad

Offline stupefaction

« Reply #190 on: Sun, 27 March 2011, 12:45:12 »
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I won't make a final decision until PayPal finishes uploading my money, but I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. Or I was until last night, when I noticed that there's going to be a group buy for Noppoo Choc Minis. The Noppoo is also pitchy and it has a slightly bigger footprint than the Poker due to a bunch of keys that I rarely use: F1 through F12, arrow keys, PgUp and PgDown. On the other hand, it does have separate tilde and ESC keys, which is alluring to me because I'm a Linux and vim user.

Now I'm torn between the Poker and the Noppoo. A notion has been stirring in my mind that I can buy both, try them out for a few weeks to see which one I like better, and sell the other one. The danger with this approach is that I might like them both, and then I'll have the start of a serious keyboard collection. I'm already a fan of squirrels and vintage space Lego, so I sense that I'm treading a perilous path here.
Waiting for something better than my SIIG USB Mini Multimedia. Can\'t imagine anything better than the Logitech Marble Mouse. Avatar derived from the original image by Thomas Shahan under the CC-BY-2.0 license.

Offline n12

« Reply #191 on: Sun, 27 March 2011, 13:45:03 »
Quote from: stupefaction;319621
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I won't make a final decision until PayPal finishes uploading my money, but I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. Or I was until last night, when I noticed that there's going to be a group buy for Noppoo Choc Minis. The Noppoo is also pitchy and it has a slightly bigger footprint than the Poker due to a bunch of keys that I rarely use: F1 through F12, arrow keys, PgUp and PgDown. On the other hand, it does have separate tilde and ESC keys, which is alluring to me because I'm a Linux and vim user.

Now I'm torn between the Poker and the Noppoo. A notion has been stirring in my mind that I can buy both, try them out for a few weeks to see which one I like better, and sell the other one. The danger with this approach is that I might like them both, and then I'll have the start of a serious keyboard collection. I'm already a fan of squirrels and vintage space Lego, so I sense that I'm treading a perilous path here.

Maybe give this a shot to see if you like the layout.

Offline mrsone

« Reply #192 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 03:17:37 »

I have the Noppoo Choc Mini and I am getting the KBC Poker, too. I think every mechanical keyboard user should have a collection. Its a great way to really know what you like in a switch and it is also helpful in helping others find out which keyboard types are good for them. Plus you can always sell off what you don't need later, as mech keyboards hold their value very well even when used.

Keypads:

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #193 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 12:45:40 »
Quote from: n12;319642
Maybe give this a shot to see if you like the layout.

I wrote that script with the mind set of purchasing a poker. Once I started using the layout, I realize it wasn't for me. I encourage everyone who is thinking of purchasing a poker (and uses windows) to test drive the layout before committing. Saved me some $$ :biggrin:
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 14:25:58 »
Quote from: kidchunks;320155
I wrote that script with the mind set of purchasing a poker. Once I started using the layout, I realize it wasn't for me. I encourage everyone who is thinking of purchasing a poker (and uses windows) to test drive the layout before committing. Saved me some $$ :biggrin:

I can adapt to the layout easily, I just want a portable cherry board
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline ultimdan

Right Alt key?
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 15:16:54 »
On the review Sixty made, there was no right Alt key, but on the pic attached to the thread there is one. Did they change the layout? As I use a Canadian French layout, it would be great!

On a side note, I just bought my first mechanical keyboard from a fellow Geekhacker! :) It's a HHKB for my job and I love it! I'm waiting for a Noppoo at home and maybe a KBC poker on the go. My wallet is looking mad at me...

Offline bill gates iii

« Reply #196 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 17:01:29 »
Thanks for the keyboards iMav. I bought 6 of them.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 17:03:26 »
Quote from: iMav;318090
Tenatively, 31 March 2011.

Less than 3 days!
Andrew

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 18:02:52 »
Quote from: bill gates iii;320258
Thanks for the keyboards iMav. I bought 6 of them.

1 for me plox
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline heathkit

« Reply #199 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 02:53:39 »
On the other hand, it does have separate tilde and ESC keys, which is alluring to me because I'm a Linux and vim user.

A while ago I mapped ctrl to capslock and started doing C-[ instead of ESC.  Since that's the regular ascii code for escape anyway, you can just use it anywhere you'd normally use esc, and with ctrl remapped it's much easier to type.

It takes some getting used to, but I really like the hhkb layout (even though ~ is way off in the middle of nowhere)