Author Topic: IBM Model M 122-key terminals in Texas  (Read 5641 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: IBM Model M 122-key terminals in Texas
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 13:17:26 »
Must not click "Buy it now"...

But somebody from GH should snag these!

- Ron | samwisekoi
Auto-typed by my GH-122 keyboard.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 15:26:06 »
I so live in Texas...
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 19:50:07 »
$30 each!

Why has this not sold yet?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline taylorswiftttttt

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 20:41:57 »
removed
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 November 2022, 16:20:16 by taylorswiftttttt »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 01:09:21 »
sell, hell its hard to give away a 122 key setup.
-Dana

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 07:58:38 »
A couple of years ago, ezrahilyer did a brisk business in converted M-122s, in the low-mid-$100 range, for about half a year until he got tired of it.

They were ANSI-modified with internal converters and USB cables.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 09:39:36 »
Now that I have converted to the 122-key format, I'll never go back.  These would be awesome with internal Soarer converters and a USB termination on the end of the coil cord.

If it wasn't such an awful thing to suggest, these would also be the least expensive way to house a GH-122 build.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline taylorswiftttttt

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 17:42:08 »
removed
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 November 2022, 19:42:56 by taylorswiftttttt »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 19:25:36 »

Maybe I should pick up the rest of those M122s from that barn...

You might contact him to verify that it was entirely his choice and not that the market got saturated/exhausted/burned out.

That said, you can probably always unload them in the $10-$15 + shipping range, so if you can buy them for ~$5 ....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 19:50:04 »
sell, hell its hard to give away a 122 key setup.

I'll take them if anyone's giving them away!

Although my first one is in limbo at the moment waiting for parts from China, it's been fun doing it so far.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 01:17:47 »
Woo, and two of the four are p/n 138* with metal bases and the fancy two-stage feet.

And no keys are missing.

And who cares about being in Texas? They want just $20 to ship the bunch. (It's easily going to cost them double that.)

Finally, imagine: 488 keys, in a single order.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 07:38:57 »

Problematic for a key harvester because it takes a dozen keys to fill out each Model M "standard" set, pricey from Unicomp and probably mis-matched.

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 07:57:13 »
I have passed on batches of Model M's like this time and time again.  Unless you are overseas or love ISO layout, keep in mind that these are Model M's, and will require a complete bolt mod to change over to ANSI.  On the F122, that conversion is trivial by comparison.

Woo, and two of the four are p/n 138* with metal bases and the fancy two-stage feet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe any of the Model M terminal keyboards had a metal base plate.  I thought that was only found on the F.

Problematic for a key harvester because it takes a dozen keys to fill out each Model M "standard" set, pricey from Unicomp and probably mis-matched.

This is so 100% true!  By the time you buy just the missing modifiers and such, you might as well spend a little more on a full set.  Buying individual keys is such a toss-up.  It's like they use a random number generator to determine the printing alignment, angle, and dye saturation for each key, lol.  On the other hand, I've found the complete sets to be excellent in that regard for some unknown reason.

EDIT: Grammar  :thumb: 
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 March 2017, 08:03:13 by ekeppel »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 09:21:06 »

will require a complete bolt mod to change over to ANSI.  On the F122, that conversion is trivial by comparison.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe any of the Model M terminal keyboards had a metal base plate.  I thought that was only found on the F.

I will disagree with the first point. Personally, I usually go overboard with a Model F refurbish and thoroughly clean, sand, and paint everything, including cutting a new foam mat, so I consider that process considerably more involved and time-consuming than a "mere" M bolt-mod. But even if you were doing the minimum in each case, I would consider the time and effort generally comparable.

Model Ms had all-plastic cases, even the 1st-generation ones with large side legs. There were, however, Model F Lexmark repair/rehab/rebuilds that got "Model M" stickers slapped on them in the 1990s.

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 12:36:10 »
will require a complete bolt mod to change over to ANSI.  On the F122, that conversion is trivial by comparison.

I will disagree with the first point. Personally, I usually go overboard with a Model F refurbish and thoroughly clean, sand, and paint everything, including cutting a new foam mat, so I consider that process considerably more involved and time-consuming than a "mere" M bolt-mod. But even if you were doing the minimum in each case, I would consider the time and effort generally comparable.

Yeah, I suppose it just depends on what we're used to.  Personally, I can break open an F122 and make a quick adjustment much faster than on an M122.  I can just about have an F122 opened up and then back together again in the same amount of time it would take me to just fiddle with removing all of the screws/bolts on a modded M122.  I guess I'm just more used to working on the Model F than on the Model M, that's all.   ;D

----

On the subject of Model Ms... I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it in the past, but the quickest way I've found to cleanly remove rivets when opening an M up for the first time is to use a set of flush cutters.  Even the cheapo ones from Harbor Freight work great, and leave a nice flat surface to drill your pilot holes into as well.  Once the plates are separated, you can also make a quick second pass if you prefer to remove the rivet stems completely down to the plate.  I usually don't need any sort of center mark to keep the drill bit from wandering so long as the old rivet is cleaned up with the flush cutters first.

162090-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 15:49:34 »

I can just about have an F122 opened up and then back together again in the same amount of time it would take me to just fiddle with removing

It never occurred to me to carefully open an F-122, move 4 springs, and slide it back together without doing anything else. I have always figured that I might as well take it completely apart into pieces and then "go all the way" with the restoration once I am in there.

I really like chisel tips for my Xacto knife for messing with rivets and posts.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 11:23:47 »

I can just about have an F122 opened up and then back together again in the same amount of time it would take me to just fiddle with removing

It never occurred to me to carefully open an F-122, move 4 springs, and slide it back together without doing anything else. I have always figured that I might as well take it completely apart into pieces and then "go all the way" with the restoration once I am in there.

I really like chisel tips for my Xacto knife for messing with rivets and posts.

Later this week I plan to  open my F-122 to swap out the ISO Shift_L for an ANSI Shift_L.  Bolts, some books to hold the assembly off the desk, pull the pivot and re-assemble.  Possibly blow any dust out, and look at the connections to my "Super Soarer" PCB.  Just a few minutes, including the time when I stop myself from doing "just a few more things while it is open..."

Also, a Dremel cuts the top of the Model M rivets off and leaves the surfaces dished for drilling.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 04:35:04 »
Quote from: ekeppel
I have passed on batches of Model M's like this time and time again.  Unless you are overseas or love ISO layout, keep in mind that these are Model M's, and will require a complete bolt mod to change over to ANSI.  On the F122, that conversion is trivial by comparison.

Really? You'd bother converting these to ANSI? It takes me about 10 seconds to adjust to an ISO Enter key... Are my keyboarding skills that superior to all of yours? Or maybe I'm just not as fussy?  :?D

Sure, when you're used to a standard layout, 122's require a bit of adjustment. But the mad-scientist feeling of all those extra keys... The sheer glorious size of the thing... These should quickly outweigh any trifling layout quirks.

Plus, there's the authenticity thing. These boards are a significant part of computing history. Why not have an M-101 and an M-122, and enjoy each of them as the cool, original, usable collector's items they are?

If you must hack up a 122, sure, F's are easier. But they also cost several times as much. And they're not M's, they're F's; they feel different and sound different. It's apples and oranges.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg