Author Topic: Advice on Tactiles  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Argeris

Advice on Tactiles
« on: Mon, 26 December 2022, 20:36:18 »
My first post here, so sorry in advance for mistakes.  I've been looking into different tactile switches and the vast majority of sites I've tried don't seem to provide the info I'm looking for.  I was looking for suggestions on high tactility switches where the bump is closer to the actuation point instead of being at the top of the press, along with a tight gap between the actuation and reset points.  Something similar to MX clears/greys and with a standard mx stem, no box types.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 December 2022, 20:45:24 by Argeris »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Advice on Tactiles
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 December 2022, 12:02:25 »
I think your only bet might be tactile-modded Clickiez. I don't think any type of high-tactility MX-type switch exist.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Argeris

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 December 2022, 12:12:24 »
I think your only bet might be tactile-modded Clickiez. I don't think any type of high-tactility MX-type switch exist.

I had considered that route.  Still fairly new to mechanical keyboards so I wasn't sure how difficult it'd be.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 December 2022, 13:10:01 »
Tactile Clickiez are an option, especially if they have that tight gap between actuation and reset (I'm not sure).

It's not supposed to be that hard to modify Clickiez into tactiles - that's supposed to be a user option. Opening switches is not hard with the right tool. So it won't be a skilled task, just a time-consuming one [prob. take at least 30 seconds per switch.]

As for other tactiles that actuate mid-bump: You could put an MX Clear stem in a T1 housing. This leads to a more tactile Clear. [Or use other tactile housings such as YOK or possibly Boba]. You can put Clear stems in Boba housings, but they may actuate a little higher.

Cherry is coming out with official Ergo Clears soon, so you might want to keep a look out for that.

I've read that the Naevy 2.0 is a fairly tactile switch, modeled after MX Clear [Ergo Clear].

Offline Argeris

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 December 2022, 13:38:15 »
Tactile Clickiez are an option, especially if they have that tight gap between actuation and reset (I'm not sure).

It's not supposed to be that hard to modify Clickiez into tactiles - that's supposed to be a user option. Opening switches is not hard with the right tool. So it won't be a skilled task, just a time-consuming one [prob. take at least 30 seconds per switch.]

As for other tactiles that actuate mid-bump: You could put an MX Clear stem in a T1 housing. This leads to a more tactile Clear. [Or use other tactile housings such as YOK or possibly Boba]. You can put Clear stems in Boba housings, but they may actuate a little higher.

Cherry is coming out with official Ergo Clears soon, so you might want to keep a look out for that.

I've read that the Naevy 2.0 is a fairly tactile switch, modeled after MX Clear [Ergo Clear].

Already been playing around with swapping parts around with the samples I've got.  I had considered using MX Clear/Grey stems in Gateron housings.  Haven't had a chance to test it though since I'm still waiting on a few tester packs to come in.  Clickies are my second favorite type, so I thought about maybe going for a semi-muted clicky.  Probably won't bother trying to get Ergo Clears. I'm heavy handed enough that I had honestly considered a full grey board after testing them XD  Will most likely go with a more conservative spring around 65 though.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 December 2022, 15:51:56 »
Makes sense.

For higher tactility, I would def. try Clear stems in Boba housings with 65+ G springs.

The OUTEMU Silent Sky stem is shaped kind of like a Clear, and reportedly is tactile in Boba housings with 68 G springs.

T1 housing is def. worth experimenting with, though.

Offline Argeris

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 December 2022, 01:16:03 »
Makes sense.

For higher tactility, I would def. try Clear stems in Boba housings with 65+ G springs.

The OUTEMU Silent Sky stem is shaped kind of like a Clear, and reportedly is tactile in Boba housings with 68 G springs.

T1 housing is def. worth experimenting with, though.

Went ahead and ordered some T1s and some of the normal Outemu Skies to play with ( Not big on the silent switches I've tried ).  Already had some Outemu Phoenix switches on order that I might look at modding.  Just had a tester come in today with a couple Glorious Pandas that I'll test out with an MX Clear stem.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 December 2022, 12:03:30 »
Those are pretty much the best options. There aren't many stems like Clears, but OUTEMU regular Sky is one of them. [All Sky needs is a better housing.]

T1s work and produce interesting results with all sorts of tactile stems, from Browns [especially Gateron] to Clears and also Durock Medium Tactile. [The latter is produced as Durock Twilight. Their closest stem to a Clear].

The Panda-like housings have been very compatible with Cherry stems. You can make a funny MX Brown variant with those, using a 60-62 G spring. Very poppy.

Offline Pangorin

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 January 2023, 08:39:43 »
Clear stem and Cherry Retool Blue housing, using 62g 2-stage springs tho. You'll have Cherry Clear but more tactility
Finalkey Origin65A || Sundae || JCStudio SAV

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 January 2023, 07:20:36 »
I was a big fan of Zelios v2 78g - I lubed them and really like the feeling of those. For me after trying few other tactile switches, this one is best so far.
However, after few years of using them, I went back to my overall best and most loved tactile switch type I used in the past and I'm so happy again. So my answer to best tactile switch is the one and only...

Topre :D
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::