geekhack Community > Keyboards

my filco fkb104m/eb

(1/2) > >>

sashomasho:
is finally here... so far my expressions are that the keyboard is really great, i can't say at the moment if the brown cherries are superior over the hhkb pro ones, but it's really pleasant in touch. these are really my first impressions, the blue cherries on my m10 seem a little lighter than the browns, but of course the filco has style and feel that my scorpius obviously lacks. so far - the hhkb pro: really great small form factor, the smoothest feel of all my keyboards, the filco is very close next, maybe a little bit lighter in touch, perfect 104 keyboard design, and on the third place is my m10, which after two months of heavy use had become even lighter in touch (and less clicky), and overall - a pleasure to type on. i think that now all these keyboards are more than enough for me (plus 3 model M in a great shape) for the next couple of years. but something in me tells me that i'll continue to search for different keyboards (especially layouts, something like realforce 89U with us english layout certainly will be irresistible for me), but probably i will try to hold back myself the next couple of months and to enjoy what i have at the moment. thanks to all of you guys, you've been really helpful...

a.

xsphat:
weird, we have identical keyboards but have different experiences with them. I like the brown Cherry switch better than anything, but I use the HHKB Pro 2 more now because the form factor is so ungodly good, and I barely used the M10 because it hurt my wrists.

And a Reaforce 89 would be perfect in a Model M mini layout. I looked at the 91U for the last couple of weeks and I was really leaning toward buying one. Aside from the bottom row of keys, the Japanese layout is pretty close to the US International layout on my Macally MK96, so I kind of know what I'm getting into. My problem is the right shift key, but I could get used to that. I guess I'm kind of still up in the air on it.

Well anyway, I hope you're gonna stick around and chat on this board even though you don't want to by anymore 'boards.

sashomasho:

--- Quote from: xsphat;3896 ---weird, we have identical keyboards but have different experiences with them. I like the brown Cherry switch better than anything, but I use the HHKB Pro 2 more now because the form factor is so ungodly good, and I barely used the M10 because it hurt my wrists.
--- End quote ---

it's weird really, i can't decide which keyboard i like most, i certainly type faster on the filco, but pressing a single key feels better on the hhkb pro, these are both supreme keyboards, and having them both makes me feel very glad. of course i'll continue to come here, there are not many places where you can share your passion about keyboards and people still not to look at you as one crazy bastard :)
my m10 has been merciful for my wrists, but from the three keyboards i have, it is the one that will stay in my closet, though i'll keep an eye on the blue cherries...

xsphat:
Good, I'm glad you'll stick around here.

I also feel that the Filco and the HHKB Pro2 are the absolute cream of the crop, and I can't really decide which I dig more. I type the fastest on the HHKB, no doubt in my mind about that. And I make more mistakes on the Filco for the first bit I use it, but after an hour or so o typing I get used to it and then do a lot better. Another thing the HHKB has above the Filco is the sound of the keys. The Topre switch combined with these key cays makes a really nice sound, and the feel is really satisfying, so I guess it's easy to tell what's at the top of my list (and getting used right now). The Filco is really nice, don't get me wrong, it's just not king of the hill but it is a close second. And I still say the Cherry browns are nicer switches.

karlito:
i got my Filco FKB104M/EB yesterday it's pretty freaking awesome. Wish it didnt have the arrow keys though as I still find myself swapping out for the SMK-88 when I want to game. As far as typing goes it's the best thing i've ever typed on im my life and definitely worth the $120 (w/out shipping)... I paid a total of $170 for this board and im not regretting it yet but since i dont like the form factor it's not perfect.

It was pretty funny the mail man stopped by at 10am (usually comes around 5pm) and he said "i made this my first stop since I saw you got a keyboard from japan" LOL.

As far as feel goes they are a lighter touch MX linear.  only a few of the keys have a scratchy tactile feel (sometimes feels like theirs a piece of dirt in there or something). The key caps have this awesome texture to them which i really freaking love.

All in all i think i would give this board a 4/5 (would be a 5 if it didnt have arrow keys and/or numpad)

As others mentioned is this thing has HUGE rubber pads on the bottom so it refuses to move on your desk which awesome except when im trying to swap it out  when i game :)

edit:
oh yea the LEDs are blinding... just like all other new electronics coming out these days... i think i may need to stab them out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version