Author Topic: Need 3 keycaps for Model M...  (Read 3241 times)

Offline wellington1869

Need 3 keycaps for Model M...
« on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 05:04:43 »
anyone have an extras or spares lying around? I'd happily pay for them... Alternately, does anyone know if jim owens would be able to sell just the keys/keycaps? (I suppose I could ask him) (though I dont know if colors would match, thats the only problem with that). Here's a pic of the three missing keycaps. Basically its the right arrow keycap in the arrow cluster, and on the numpad the decimal point keycap and the minus sign keycap...

thanks!

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 05:20:26 »
Unicomp can get you exactly what you need.

Do what I do.  Order an accessory from their website (any will do), and in the comments list something such as:

"I do NOT want product X (whatever it is you ordered).  Here is what I want: "
And then simply list what you want.  In your case, the right arrow keycap, decimal numpad keycap, and minus sign numpad keycap for a P/N XXXXXXXX Model M keyboard.

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 05:29:11 »
iMav, would that trick work for a full set of BLANK keycaps?
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline iMav

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 05:32:33 »
Quote from: zwmalone;13593
iMav, would that trick work for a full set of BLANK keycaps?

Of course.  If they have any questions, they will email you prior to processing the order.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 05:36:48 »
Alternately, I may have those keycaps on my parts board.

I'll toss them in for free if you buy my M13. :)

Edit: Technically, isn't this a WTB? ;)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 06:11:17 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;13597
Alternately, I may have those keycaps on my parts board.

I'll toss them in for free if you buy my M13. :)

Haha! Since I'm about to be the proud owner of two M's (one working, one not) and an endurapro, I prolly won't need the M13 just yet... ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 06:11:53 »
Quote from: iMav;13588

Do what I do.  Order an accessory from their website (any will do), and in the comments list something such as:

And then simply list what you want.  In your case, the right arrow keycap, decimal numpad keycap, and minus sign numpad keycap for a P/N XXXXXXXX Model M keyboard.

Thanks imav.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 06:20:46 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;13597

yea, I didnt want to jam up the marketplace with something so trivial tho ;)

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 17:46:18 »
Quote from: iMav;13588

usually I'm not a fan of using the phone but in this case it might be easier

Offline iMav

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 18:28:13 »
Quote from: D-EJ915;13694
usually I'm not a fan of using the phone but in this case it might be easier
And the above is what they will tell you to do.   (unless you order over the phone, that is)  :)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 December 2008, 17:37:14 »
Update on this thread, the good folks at unicomp sent me three keycaps for free. A lovely xmas present and they fit and match the board perfectly. :)  Naturally my esteem for Unicomp has rapidly risen several notches :)

Offline cchan

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 December 2008, 18:12:29 »
I found myself in this same situation with one of my Model M's which was missing F2, Ctrl, A, S, and CapsLock. Unicomp was kind enough to sent me the replacements (including key stems) free, but they didn't match exactly and the Ctrl keycap had "Control" spelled out. But I gave that board to my sister, so I didn't worry too much about it.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 December 2008, 09:56:10 »
I wish Unicomp made an M2 clone, as I have a perfectly good '94 Lexmark M2 keyboard that's in excellent condition aside from the ESC and numpad PLUS keys are missing. I bought that particular keyboard for spare parts, but it's sooooo close to being complete it offends my budding OCD.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 18 December 2008, 12:20:49 »
Try contacting them or clickykeyboards.com, and seeing if they've got keycaps. They do make service parts for keyboards that they don't manufacture, so...

And, in the case of Clickykeyboards.com, they have lots of unlisted inventory. I got the mouse buttons for the M13 that I just sold (that reminds me, I need to update my sig...) from them, and they didn't have them listed on the site.

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 18 December 2008, 12:52:14 »
Heh, thanks. I just did that a few minutes after I wrote that post... just shooting in the dark at that point. Turns out they're willing to sell me a complete set of M2 keys for $10, which is fine by me.