Author Topic: Need some more female posters!  (Read 5291 times)

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Need some more female posters!
« on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 16:43:32 »
I'm beginning to think this isn't really a healthy obsession for a girl to have. ;)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 16:48:09 »
What, you think its a healthy obsession for a guy to have? ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 16:55:29 »
My wife won't let me put up posters of women anymore.

Bah dum pum ...

Really folks, this forum is mostly a pole party, but we're happy to have a woman's perspective here.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 17:02:35 »
Thanks guys. Sometimes I overthink these things.

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 17:07:16 »
[media]http://www.instantrimshot.com/rimshot.swf[/media]
EDIT: I guess media tags don't work on GeekHack :(

We really don't know how many female members are here.  So many people register and never post or register post a LOT in a short amount of time *cough*graywolf*cough* and then leave, and some people register, post a few times and then never come back...
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 17:09:21 »
With time, you'll learn to ignore these thoughts. ;)

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 17:11:52 »
Quote from: xsphat;13912

Really folks, this forum is mostly a pole party, but we're happy to have a woman's perspective here.

yea seriously. If you ever leave the forum, chloe, then I'll start worrying about whether this is an unhealthy obsesion for me  :)  Your being here justifies us all -- We get to say "see? its not just guys, girls obsess about keyboards too, so it must be normal!" :D
Three cheers for diversity, lets all obsess together :)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline lam47

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 17:34:05 »
My partner looks over my shoulder and sighs some times.
So she is kind of joining in.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline bigpook

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 18:53:55 »
Keyboard obsession is a highly specialized thing, no?
I can see where some users will get involved for a short amount of time, then drop off as the interest wains. This site certainly keeps me interested though, but then again I am a geek. A geek with a strange obsession with keyboards : )  but in a good way...

I mean really, most guys I know are into sports, cars, fishing.....here I am weighing the benefits of a blue cherry switch versus a white alps switch.....I don't really get into it at work either, most people just don't get it, or just don't care...
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 03:11:36 »
Quote from: bigpook;13944
I mean really, most guys I know are into sports, cars, fishing.....here I am weighing the benefits of a blue cherry switch versus a white alps switch.....I don't really get into it at work either, most people just don't get it, or just don't care...

Hey, those things aren't mutually exclusive!  ;)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 04:40:35 »
Quote from: iMav;13971
Hey, those things aren't mutually exclusive!  ;)

Yes, but its easier to talk about which team/player is doing well this year or which NASCAR race you are going to see or which type of fish is biting this weekend versus 'hey man, what do you think of that filco mini with the brown cherries?'
Maybe its the people I associate with : ) That line just doesn't seem to go over so well : )

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 07:55:31 »
To me, it seems that anyone who spends a lot of time typing (anyone from secretaries to programmers to writers) would at least have SOME interest in quality keyboards.  I believe that the most important parts of a computer are the monitor, keyboard and mouse as those are used most to interface with a PC (and, to a lesser extent, gamepads, headsets, etc.) thus, having a quality monitor, keyboard, and mouse are crucial for a quality experience.  Therefore, I think it is perfectly natural for anyone, regardless of sex, to have an interest in keyboards and other interface devices.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 08:00:28 »
Quote from: itlnstln;13981
To me, it seems that anyone who spends a lot of time typing (anyone from secretaries to programmers to writers) would at least have SOME interest in quality keyboards.  I believe that the most important parts of a computer are the monitor, keyboard and mouse as those are used most to interface with a PC (and, to a lesser extent, gamepads, headsets, etc.) thus, having a quality monitor, keyboard, and mouse are crucial for a quality experience.  Therefore, I think it is perfectly natural for anyone, regardless of sex, to have an interest in keyboards and other interface devices.

I agree if you are a serious typist. However, the people I work with are for the most part hunt and peckers. Its like casting pearls before swine : )
How about them Yankees?!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 08:24:56 »
Yeah, they were looking at signing C. C. Sabathia, but it looks like he might go to the Dodgers. :P

Offline lam47

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 08:42:38 »

This is exactly how I feel.
No matter what PC you have you can make the experiance so much better by upgrading the 'contact points'
I used to race downhill bikes and then moved onto BMX and flatland.
The first thing I would do on any new bike would be to switch the saddle, grips and peddles. The parts of the bike/pc that are the interface between you and the machine can not be unappreciated.
Or you know something that makes sense ;)
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 10:02:54 »
To me, it seems that anyone who spends a lot of time typing (anyone from secretaries to programmers to writers) would at least have SOME interest in quality keyboards.  

I agree, I think the market for keyboard geeks is woefully underexploited.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 10:24:31 »
We have covered this topic quite a bit in the past, but I think that if there were more commercially available options to the average consumer presented appropriately (think packaging and styling of the keyboard itself), there would be more of a market for quality keyboards.  IMO, Das and Unicomp are heading the right direction by offering their products at retail stores, but, especially in the case of Unicomp, there is a long way to go asthetics-wise before they will appeal to the average consumer.  Also, I am not so sure US consumers would go for the louder BS, Alps, blue Cherry-based 'boards.  I think the more popular 'boards would be based on brown or black Cherries.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 10:28:39 »
but, especially in the case of Unicomp, there is a long way to go

qft (I just learned what 'qft' means ;)

Also, I am not so sure US consumers would go for the louder BS, Alps, blue Cherry-based 'boards. I think the more popular 'boards would be based on brown or black Cherries

I think what that means is that alps and BS producers need to get creative again, keeping the feel while tamping down volume a little bit. That might involve using diff materials for the springs, or greasing them, or adding density to the overall board, or maybe even a new design. Similarly they should innovate to bring their mechanical feel to laptop keyboards (like that laptop version of buckling springs that suposedly is out there but no one has put into production).  In other words, innovation is required and alps and bs producers are not stepping up. Thats why cherry will run away with the market -- they're innovating all the time. Red cherries are just the latest.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 10:33:57 »
I think Topre-based keyboards would also have an edge in the US provided the price was low enough.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 10:38:58 »
Quote from: itlnstln
To me, it seems that anyone who spends a lot of time typing (anyone from secretaries to programmers to writers) would at least have SOME interest in quality keyboards.

It seems quite natural to be concerned about input devices when you spend all day typing etc. If it wasn't for RSI I'd probably still be using a mouse and typing on rubber domes. I do occasionally envy those who think a keyboard is "just a keyboard" though.

Honestly, I thought the obsession would wane once I got something I was happy with. I am very happy with the keyboards I have, but now different switches and their history interest me.

I suppose it is like microphones and other musical things. They all have their own feel and I'm sensitive enough to notice.
I think am also seeking to recapture that magical feeling of my fingers floating over the keys. It's easy to take it for granted when you get used to it.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 12:42:06 »
that guy used to have NIB german model Ms, I was going to buy one but he sold out before I got the chance (I waited several months, lol)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 16:31:56 »
Honestly, I thought the obsession would wane once I got something I was happy with.

I think that same would happen to me too, though I think this forum is fun anyway (and a good way to keep up on the latest), but certainly my hectic tryouts (and reviews) would taper off after a while ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 00:26:35 »
Quote from: wellington1869;14056
I think that same would happen to me too, though I think this forum is fun anyway (and a good way to keep up on the latest), but certainly my hectic tryouts (and reviews) would taper off after a while ;)

Sure they will, for like a minute.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 09:03:45 »
I'll admit, I've gone away for like a month or so a couple times, but I did come back. :p