geekhack Community > Off Topic

New computer or new keyboard?

(1/15) > >>

zwmalone:
I'm getting about $300USD this year for Christmas and I'm wondering what would be better in the long run, a new computer or the Filco ZERO Tenkeyless with white ALPS?
Keep in mind I build my own computers so I can get much better value.
Keyboard: http://www.diatec.co.jp/shop/det.php?prod_c=579

New Computer Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0GHz (1MB L2, AM2+)
8GB DDR2 800 5-5-5-15 :D
768MB GeForce 9600 video card
ECS Black series GeForce 8200 MoBo
+ the stuff I already have (320GB Caviar, 200GB Barracuda, 120GB Barracuda, DVD+RW, 500W PSU, Zalman CNPS7700 copper cooler, Lian Li case, etc)

I know the will computer become antiquated faster than the keyboard but I'm fine with my M for now  I just want to try something new...

wellington1869:
well, a keyboard like that is going to outlast any given computer.  (Computers come and go... but a good keyboard is forever?)  And I doubt the tenkeyless is going to get any cheaper in time :)

I vote tenkeyless.

Oh, didnt see this part:

--- Quote ---
I just want to try something new...

--- End quote ---

I dont think I'd drop 300 bucks on something you just want to try out of curiosity. So I change my vote, go for computer I guess.

bigpook:
What do you have for a computer now?

If its relatively current and you are happy with it, then go for the filco.

zwmalone:

--- Quote from: bigpook;15079 ---What do you have for a computer now?

If its relatively current and you are happy with it, then go for the filco.
--- End quote ---

It's ~3 1/2 years old now.  I built it right before the C2Ds came out, not even thinking...
SPECS:
Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz @ 3.8GHz (HT, 2MB L2, LGA775)
1GB DDR400
640GB spanned across 3 HDs
Radeon x700 128 (the worst video card ever, no support in linux + terrible Windows drivers)
MSI 915PL Neo-V MoBo

I do web design (HTML/CSS/PHP/JS, and I'm learning Ruby!), graphic design (Photoshop CS3, Illustrator), light gaming (:source games I usually get 60FPS with VSync disabled, 100+ in WoW in wilderness, 20-30FPS in Stormwind), and I write SF...

I could live with this rig for another year or two if I had too...

--- Quote from: wellington1869 ---I dont think I'd drop 300 bucks on something you just want to try out of curiosity. So I change my vote, go for computer I guess.
--- End quote ---

As per the thread, it's only $130 shipped, and I've really wanted a Filco and a White ALPS board for a while so it's a win-win situation there...

Chloe:
Get the Filco. The answer is always to buy more keyboards. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version