Author Topic: Cherry G80-3000 LPMGB review (MX Black)  (Read 2078 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Cherry G80-3000 LPMGB review (MX Black)
« on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 19:03:56 »
Cherry G80-3000 LPMGB

A different version from the other G80-3000 I reviewed recently, this one is different in many ways. Keycaps are moderately thick lasered PBT (yes, it's definitely PBT this time!) instead of super-thick doubleshot ABS, and the switches are MX Blacks instead of MX Blues. The case is identical - the same flimsy, light, clamped, thin plastic construct. This one is more modern and uses a PS/2 connector rather than a 5-pin DIN one.

The MX Blacks definitely show off that the strength of Cherries is with linear switches. The keytravel is extremely linear and clean; the beginning doesn't feel any looser and the end doesn't feel any stiffer than the rest. The advantage of Cherries where you can press them even in corners and they will travel cleanly and perfectly feels more important on linear switches like these, too. Unfortunately, the weighting is not to my liking. Although I'm used to 70 gf switches, the 60 gf in these feels inordinately heavy. And although the keyfeel is clean, it's not smooth; there is an audible amount of friction going on which gives it a fairly rough feel. The return spring force is so high that the keys are practically launched into orbit back when you let go of them - particularly when you're working with your pinky, this gets painful in a very short time. I feel if these switches were a bit looser I might like them more.

All in all, I don't think linear switches are for me, really. They are horrendous for even the smallest typing tasks, yet are too tiring to use for particularly intensive gaming, which is what they're supposed to excel at. If I'd have been a fan of linear switches, I might've liked these a lot, though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 March 2015, 20:34:32 by chyros »
Check my keyboard video reviews: