geekhack Community > geekhack Media

[OTD] Updated Wiki

<< < (17/20) > >>

Auxo:

--- Quote from: Photekq on Mon, 28 March 2022, 10:12:42 ---Bit of an odd one, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to post this.

A while back it came to my attention (shoutouts to yui for that) that OTD was nearing its expiry date (27th March). We immediately started worrying that eungsam wouldn't renew the domain, for all kinds of reasons. It'd been 4 years since the site's last renewal, and it's a total ghost town at this point. I also have reason to believe that eungsam is entirely separated from the hobby at this point. It also didn't instill confidence, knowing that the site had already gone down for a few months sometime last year. While OTD might be a ghost town, it's still one of the most important sources of keyboard information in my opinion. There are so many keyboards, both custom and vintage, that you won't find documentated anywhere else. And even beyond that - OTD is the origin of so many trends that we see in keyboards today. The members there, along with the members of kbdmania, were the true originators of so many things. If record of their existence were lost, it'd break my heart.

Now, eungsam did end up renewing it. He waited until the date of its expiry, but he did do it. It's good for another 3 years. So, for now at least, this was done in vain.

Before he did this though, while it was still a very real worry that the site would go down, I started working on a scraper. And I did complete it. I've now got the entirety of OTD on my hard drive, with the exception of some sections I can't access (OTD Studio, and marketplace posts that are restricted by writing power). All images have been downloaded, and every post/comment has been scraped into a database that could easily be reconstructed into a website, allowing for full search capabilities. If a time ever comes when OTD goes down, and I want to provide this to the public - I will of course do all I can to remove/censor any personal information or photos of individuals.

I wanted to post this here just to let everyone know: 95% of the site's been backed up, there's no need to ever worry about it disappearing. Maybe nobody cares anymore, but I wanted to post just in case somebody does. I know I still do.

P.S Korean forum software from the 00s can go **** itself. It was a legitimate nightmare to do the scrape :blank:

--- End quote ---

big if true

Puddsy:

--- Quote from: Photekq on Mon, 28 March 2022, 10:12:42 ---Bit of an odd one, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to post this.

A while back it came to my attention (shoutouts to yui for that) that OTD was nearing its expiry date (27th March). We immediately started worrying that eungsam wouldn't renew the domain, for all kinds of reasons. It'd been 4 years since the site's last renewal, and it's a total ghost town at this point. I also have reason to believe that eungsam is entirely separated from the hobby at this point. It also didn't instill confidence, knowing that the site had already gone down for a few months sometime last year. While OTD might be a ghost town, it's still one of the most important sources of keyboard information in my opinion. There are so many keyboards, both custom and vintage, that you won't find documentated anywhere else. And even beyond that - OTD is the origin of so many trends that we see in keyboards today. The members there, along with the members of kbdmania, were the true originators of so many things. If record of their existence were lost, it'd break my heart.

Now, eungsam did end up renewing it. He waited until the date of its expiry, but he did do it. It's good for another 3 years. So, for now at least, this was done in vain.

Before he did this though, while it was still a very real worry that the site would go down, I started working on a scraper. And I did complete it. I've now got the entirety of OTD on my hard drive, with the exception of some sections I can't access (OTD Studio, and marketplace posts that are restricted by writing power). All images have been downloaded, and every post/comment has been scraped into a database that could easily be reconstructed into a website, allowing for full search capabilities. If a time ever comes when OTD goes down, and I want to provide this to the public - I will of course do all I can to remove/censor any personal information or photos of individuals.

I wanted to post this here just to let everyone know: 95% of the site's been backed up, there's no need to ever worry about it disappearing. Maybe nobody cares anymore, but I wanted to post just in case somebody does. I know I still do.

P.S Korean forum software from the 00s can go **** itself. It was a legitimate nightmare to do the scrape :blank:

--- End quote ---

i know you've been working on this for a while, heroic move

if anyone has access to studio and/or marketplace please get in touch with photekq, there's a lot of valuable data in those forums that would be really interesting to parse through

Photekq:

--- Quote from: Puddsy on Sun, 03 April 2022, 11:48:03 ---if anyone has access to studio and/or marketplace please get in touch with photekq, there's a lot of valuable data in those forums that would be really interesting to parse through

--- End quote ---
Oh yeah! Thanks for mentioning mate, I forgot to in my post. If anyone has access, your help would be much appreciated :-*

hineybush:
tyvm photokq. the hero we need and deserve

bummer that a bunch of picture links in this thread are broken

Photekq:

--- Quote from: hineybush on Fri, 06 May 2022, 08:22:16 ---tyvm photokq. the hero we need and deserve

bummer that a bunch of picture links in this thread are broken

--- End quote ---
They still work. You just have to open them in a new tab!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version