geekhack Community > Off Topic

How does keyboard hobby compare to other ones?

<< < (2/3) > >>

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: Findecanor on Fri, 01 July 2022, 23:03:46 ---With collecting vintage keyboards, it is exactly the opposite: using older equipment longer, thus avoiding to buy new crap.

--- End quote ---

we can force the issue and construct corner cases where doing what you suggest MIGHT have some semblance of efficiency.  but you got 1 life, and we got a climate catastrophe,  whatever effort YOU put into collecting keyboards is _more likely_ a waste of the resource / effort past humans (your parents) put into YOU.

So.... Tp4 doesn't have infinite processing power to definitively conclude it one way or the other, but very generally, * this is just an opinion, as someone who's also very guilty of collecting electronics, it doesn't seem any more constructive or less of a waste than pokemon cards.

ideus:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Fri, 01 July 2022, 20:38:28 ---
--- Quote from: IceCandle on Fri, 01 July 2022, 10:23:15 ---Custom keyboard hobby is largely focused on collecting

--- End quote ---
While it may seem like "collecting", I suspect most who have a collection, myself included, didn't acquire them so as to build a collection but to experience new things.
People who enjoy bicycles accumulate bicycle parts, people who enjoy cars accumulate car parts... There are collectors who could be called collectors but I suspect they are over represented because those people tend to stay active to continue building their collections while most others will flutter in and out as they find what they're after. 

I enjoy messing with computers in general and keyboards are just a part of that, more importantly, it's one of the few physical aspects of a computer you can tune.

--- End quote ---

Customizing the keyboard is probably the best thing a PC user can do to improve his/her computing experience. The layout may improve or diminish the user's productivity. I found that the regional layout that comes with PCs in my country is very bad for certain tasks; therefore, finding that the keyboard could be altered to fit particular typing needs improves my computing experience, greatly. I concur that MK hobby could be a collectors thing; but, it is also a customizer's thing.

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: ideus on Sat, 02 July 2022, 08:15:51 ---
Customizing the keyboard is probably the best thing a PC user can do to improve his/her computing experience. The layout may improve or diminish the user's productivity. I found that the regional layout that comes with PCs in my country is very bad for certain tasks; therefore, finding that the keyboard could be altered to fit particular typing needs improves my computing experience, greatly. I concur that MK hobby could be a collectors thing; but, it is also a customizer's thing.

--- End quote ---

TENTING Keeb + Quantum-OLED + Optical Dac

treeleaf64:
not as technical as computer hobby  or programming ,   more design oriented like Car .   and also history related  like the car as well 
The collection is not valuable to the fingers  it is valuable to the mind

From The tree leaf.

Darthbaggins:

--- Quote from: treeleaf64 on Mon, 04 July 2022, 14:17:56 ---not as technical as computer hobby  or programming ,   more design oriented like Car .   and also history related  like the car as well 
The collection is not valuable to the fingers  it is valuable to the mind

From The tree leaf.

--- End quote ---

Definitely, the Automotive hobby is very similar to the KB hobby (or vice/versa)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version