Author Topic: Help with Custom Glyphs  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Clubkids

Help with Custom Glyphs
« on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 23:03:41 »
Hi All,

New to the community and am here to work on my keycap designs through feedback from the community.

What is the best way to make custom Glyphs? I'm currently using keyboard layout editor over at GitHub to do my design, but am struggling to get working custom glyphs.

Can anyone provide some help with this one?

Regards,

CK's

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Help with Custom Glyphs
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 00:23:23 »
Are you talking letters or pictures?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 12:29:43 »
To any type designer, creating new character glyphs involves working with either dedicated typography software or vector illustration software like Adobe Illustrator. If your goal is to ultimately deliver your new legends to a company like Signature Plastics, I strongly recommend you become proficient with Illustrator.

Offline Clubkids

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 19:30:12 »
Understood. The end goal was to deliver new glyphs (pictures) to GMK.

Will get going with Illustrator this weekend. Appreciate the feedback.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 21:12:10 »
GMK has a hard time with custom legends. Try SP.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Clubkids

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 02:18:17 »
Sorry - still a rookie to the game here - ?SP?

I've another query - it seems the Plum & Carbon sets use identical Shift, Tab & Enter symbols. Is there a common set of images that is used that i can access somewhere?

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 04:41:43 »
SP: Signature Plastics

Have you tried using some of the glyphs on KLE?
http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 13:15:15 »
Sorry - still a rookie to the game here - ?SP?

I've another query - it seems the Plum & Carbon sets use identical Shift, Tab & Enter symbols. Is there a common set of images that is used that i can access somewhere?

Cherry legends are actually pretty disputed. A lot of reading to be done on those. SP might send you a font file if you shoot them an email.

Offline zslane

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 15:17:46 »
If the legends are intended to be standard legends already in SP's inventory, then you only need to get close to what they look like and they will understand what you want (though it wouldn't hurt to clarify such things in your e-mail correspondence with Melissa in any case). They don't need to, nor will they, send you any font or graphics files.

I don't know what it's like to deal with GMK in this regard.

Offline Clubkids

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 19:31:36 »
Awesome, i'll clarify this in the e-mail then :) Thanks for your help all!