Author Topic: Logitecg MX Ergo VS. Elcom thumb ball.....Fight!  (Read 11437 times)

Offline typo

Logitecg MX Ergo VS. Elcom thumb ball.....Fight!
« on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 10:48:19 »
I juts saw the Elcom TOTL 8 buttom programmable wired/wireless Thumb ball. The JDM version is $98USD with Japanese only software. In Japan it sells for about $215USD. I picked the Global version For $69 which goes for $69USD from $199EURO. If I like it better than the Mx Ergo I adore than great. I shall keep it. Otherwise I will return it, no loss. One thing bothers me though. They rate their switches at 100,000, much higher than Omron themselves. Yet many people reported they lasted only 2-3 months. VS. Logitechs Basically lifetime warranty. Elcom has no warranty in the US. Logitechs switches do tend to fail as well but at least it will be replaced. The jury is out on that. It certainly looks much fancier than the MX ERgo, that is a given. I also like that is made in Japan, not china. to match my custom Topre RGB made in Japan/America. I will see how this goes. I am not so concerned about losing $69. I have a good feeling I will be returning it due to the fact that I still like the Logitech much better but I shall find out later today. thank you Amazon for same day Drone shipping on Sunday! Beforehand I was wondering what you folks thought about this? I guess the thing is called Elcom-Pro or Deft or something like that. It is their top of the line thumb ball model. I also like that it takes a AA battery instead of a LI-polymer. If it happens to be great but does not last long, so be it. I will just order another, next time with an aftermarket warranty of course. I was just wondering what you folks thought of this. Paying $215 in Japan is no small change. Thanks

Offline typo

Re: Logitecg MX Ergo VS. Elcom thumb ball.....Fight!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 19:49:59 »
No one responded. Well, this is very promising. I like it a lot. I shall see how long it lasts. I always have the MX Ergo to fall back on. Overall I would say this is actually nicer. I am glad I found this. The tent on the MX Ergo is steeper in the tilt position which may be a little better but I suppose I will get used to this too. This is smaller which is also nice. the MX Ergo is rather large. this is even more precise and faster as well. even on lowest DPI with registry hack in place. I can't recommend this until I know better how long it lasts. From an ergonomics standpoint it serves very well. I put a nice custom LED paracord on it. It will take some hand memory adjustment after the MX Ergo. probably just a few days as it is overall similar. I would say the overall build quality being made in Japan is higher quality than the Logitech but the jury is still out on that.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 20:00:45 »
I think they both work ok, because if you had to you can Tilt/ tent the elcom with a wedge of wood, or a small book.

As far as tracking precision and sensor/ validation etc, I'd still say Logi is in their own league on such things.

Offline Stupidface

• Looks like I picked the wrong week to joinGeekhack
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 01:16:57 »
Yet many people reported they lasted only 2-3 months. VS. Logitechs Basically lifetime warranty

Er, can you please clarify what you mean by "basically lifetime warranty"?  Will they repair or replace the MX Ergo at their discretion for as long as I own the device?

« Last Edit: Mon, 16 September 2019, 01:18:43 by Stupidface »

Offline typo

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 01:28:35 »
Not Really TP, I find this particular one to be more precise. Remember this thing is 20000 Yen. that is a lot of money in japan. It just so happens I found a place that had it for $69USD. Most sites it is about $300USD. In fact there are multiple listings on Amazon for $300 or so. I was lucky to find the one fulfilled by Amazon with free same day Prime for $69. I feel it was a steal. Already I feel the tenting is not bad. In a week my muscle memory should be completely used to it. Many say thumb balls will wreck your thumb. No way as little resistance as this or the Logitech have. This is more advanced than the Logitech. It is riding on 6 real Rubies. The Logitech rides on 3 plastic rollers. Still, I will have to wait and see if this fails. I do not see how they rate the switches more than twice Omron unless they are not in fact Omron.  I am very pleased with this and trust me I am highly picky about pointing devices. With my Reg hack it flies and brakes on a dime. I just wish I had backed up that Reg. It was many settings. Anyways, I feel this is about as good as a thumb ball can get IMO. YMMV but don't pay $300+.

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 03:32:59 »
I was mistaken. The switches are rated the standard 10 million and are Omron. The ball feels a bit gritty. Maybe needs to break in or be lubed. The scroll wheel is a bit clunky but it actually sort of has Hyperscroll! So that is obviously why it is somewhat clunky like all others with Hyperscroll. It is in fact much more precise than the MX Ergo. I actually had to slow it down quite a bit from where the MX Ergo was set. It indeed has 10 buttons, not the 8 that are advertised. If you count the left/right tilt as buttons such as Logitech does. So it is one button short of a G502 or G903. Probably the most buttons on any trackball. Unfortunately it has no memory. Also you cannot perform macro's. You are stuck with the options in their menu. Which is fairly extensive but did not have what I wanted. F11 of all things. Actually, no function keys at all. I still I feel I prefer this to the MX Ergo as of right now unless it breaks quickly. In which case I will resort back to the MX Ergo. Either is top notch but I feel overall this has the edge due to being much more precise. Funny that you say it is not as precise then. TP. The tenting is already fine with me. I see my muscle memory completely adjusting to this within 2-3 days. No way this or Logitech harms your thumb though. The balls move much too freely. I vastly prefer thumb balls over palm balls. This is a great buy IMO if you locate the one that is $69.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 18:04:32 »
I've stuck with mouse @ high dpi for ergonomic purposes.

I like the trackball for the fact that it's fun to use, but day to day, I can't start and stop with as much precision.

Alot of apps have bad UI design with tiny buttons, Uber-Pros get around it via hotkeys, but I'm stuck in the middle where I use the application often, but not enough to memorize all the hot keys.

Rubies ?  what is the ball coated with. 

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 02:09:44 »
Ball is coated with Ruby dust. Sensor is custom calibrated to read that specific ball. Remember, this is supposed to be about $300. It is like Topre keyboard class. Personally I find the fitment and precision 50X the Logitech. YMMV. Glad I found this and price I paid. I tell you the precision is pixel density. It fits me like a glove. The Logitech is too large. The tenting is actually just right. The Logitech tenting is too steep now that I have this. This is much better than a mouse. If you want one for $69, what do you have to lose TP? Besides an injury with a mouse. This is dang near perfect. One odd thing. The manual does say 100 million clicks. Their website says 10 million. Also something I find odd. there is one seems to be the exact same one but one number is different in the model. It is MSRP $800USD and this one is only MSRP $300USD. I cannot see one thing different. I wanted to run it wireless with Enloop pro But there is no reason to I do not move it. although on Enloop Pro it lasts about a year. Logitech lasts a couple of days! Plus it is a standard AA that is replaceable. I used a nice custom LED Paracord so that is fine. Also the ball comes out way easier than the Logitech. Also of interest is the ball most have a metal core. I do not know if that helps with tracking or just keeps it moving freely. It will never hurt your thumb that is total BS. The Logitech ball weighs nothing near what this one weighs. If I drop this it is likely to break the floor. I found this and just happen to love it but I am not a fanboy I will give it a big YMMV.

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 12:29:30 »
One issue, the center click is too easy to engage but I can easily fix that. Oddly it says Omron switches. More oddly the manual says 100MM clicks. The website says the usual 10MM clicks. The reason this is odd is because they are some custom Kaith switch that I have never seen before. I have no clue what their MTBF is.

I was wondering if anyone could deduce the difference between these two products? They seem to be exactly the same thing. Why would they make the same thing under two part numbers for the same MSRP? Is one left handed and I am missing it? Thanks. https://www.elecom.co.jp.e.gj.hp.transer.com/products/M-XPT1MRBK.html
https://www.elecom.co.jp.e.gj.hp.transer.com/products/M-XPT1MRXBK.html

Notice the difference(only?) is that the second one has an "X" before the "B" in the model number. I appreciate your help as always TP.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 14:17:49 »
They're probably the same, the manual links to the same manual

Offline typo

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 18:26:48 »
That is very odd indeed. In America they want much more for the other one. I have no clue why. I will tell you, if you think these things are not precise this one will change your mind. They make a forefinger version too if you prefer that. This is 1000x more precise than the Logitech which was already "not bad".

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 19:05:17 »
That is very odd indeed. In America they want much more for the other one. I have no clue why. I will tell you, if you think these things are not precise this one will change your mind. They make a forefinger version too if you prefer that. This is 1000x more precise than the Logitech which was already "not bad".

Hrrrrmmm.... I'll add it to the christmas list.

Offline typo

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 21:04:21 »
Yeah, I think you will be pleasantly surprised and no injury. Get the forefinger if you like it better. Just remember you want any one that says "G-Pro". That is their top of the line. Just do Amazon price low to high. Be warned though there is no warranty in the USA but if it is DOA Amazon will take it back for 90 day's. One thing the center click is sensitive and their software does not allow for macros so I just used X-Mouse which is free. I do not even think you will have to hack the registry with this. I had to put it on 500DPI and set it down to 12000 DPI across 3x4K displays. Logitech took 24000 DPI. I do have heavy acceleration and breaking but it may not even need it. Rubies on ruby surface is very slick. It does have "micro" indents though that let you hit each pixel if you go very slow.

Offline typo

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 06:04:32 »
Just a heads up of honesty. The right main button already got iffy. I fixed it 100% because I can. Out of 75 reviews 15% say something completely failed within 10 or so days. Logitech is notorious for their bad switches as well but they have a very strong warranty In place. This has absolutely no warranty. I maintain that for me at least this is much nicer than the MX Ergo. I probably would not go out on a limb and buy this unless you either have money to waste or know how to repair such stuff. I will plan on completely replacing all the switches at some point anyways. It is the superior tracking I am more concerned with and the Logitech was already plenty good. This also fits me much better from an ergonomic standpoint. I would gather that the Logitech is probably too large for most people under 7.5 feet tall. It is huge and rather uncomfortable. I also now realize that in the inverted position the tenting is in fact too great. The Elcom fits me like a glove. Since I know how to repair them as do most people on here I see no issues with owning it and overall find it far superior to the Logitech. There has to be a reason it has a MSRP of $300USD. I would compare it more to a Topre being Made in Japan, not China such as Logitech is. I just wanted to be honest so no one hates me later if theirs fails right away. Apparently many others concur on this, so it is not an isolated issue. That is a shame for he usual asking price then. However I have had plenty of Topre's fail on me in mere day's too. Nothing is perfect. The more you are exposed to something, the more likely you will witness both the good and bad. This thumb ball may just have been a lemon but no worries to me, I repaired it already as I do with everything.