Author Topic: Adopt a Keycap Legend with Cherry Replica Font! (Cherry font, not some other font)  (Read 167570 times)

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Quote from: gojira54;539177
oops no 'U', so 'O' then... :)

Boost got O too.  Maybe Page Up and Page Down?

Offline litster

Quote from: turbocharged;539223
Since I am adopted and my real name has a hyphen it it, I guess it is only right that I adopt the "-_" key.

Sign me up.

sth got -_ a little earlier.  Pick another one, would you?  Thanks.

Offline litster

list updated.  3 keys left for Tenkeyless.

- Page Up
- Page Down

Orphaned Numpad legends that need a parent:
Num Lock
Numpad 1
Numpad 2
Numpad 3
Numpad 4
Numpad 6
Numpad 7
Numpad 8
Numpad 9
Numpad 0
Numpad +
Numpad -
Numpad *
Numpad /
Numpad .
Numpad Enter

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
HEY

I will give up the hyphen for the adopted dude. Give me pg up and down please :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline litster

Quote from: sth;539309
HEY

I will give up the hyphen for the adopted dude. Give me pg up and down please :)

Good trade!  Turbocharged, you have -_ now.

Offline litster

List updated.

The last tenkeyless legend to be adopted is ^6

Offline gojira54

Numpad *
:)

Offline Zehkul

Quote from: Wraul;539301
I would be willing to at least adopt Å, Ä and Ö.
Would be nice if more nordic people would step up and help.

Not sure if there is a reason though. Since I have a hard time seeing them included in any GB.

Yeah that's a problem. Well let's see how the next GBs go! The US ISO was a failure due to JRET, national layouts are better. And if this is going to be our standard font from now on, we need our keys in it!

Offline fstop

Quote from: litster;538770
List updated.

reaper and fstop, I missed your PM and messed up the list.  fstop wanted "X" ahead of reaper.  reaper, I need to give "X" to fstop, if fstop is still up for it.

I was wondering what happened to my pm. This thread moved so fast too, missed this post. But yes! Still up for the "X". Sorry reaper!
CM Storm Quickfire MX Reds
CM Storm Quickfire MX Blues
Filco Majestouch-2  MX Browns
RealForce 87uw uniform 45g

Offline guilleguillaume

The main problem for adopting local language keycaps is that we would never see them in any GB I think because we're going to be too few people interested but I may be wrong. At least I don't see Spanish happening but with German or UK could be different though.

Offline turbocharged

Quote from: sth;539309
HEY

It really doesn't matter much to me...just thought it was a cool story, but thanks :smile:.
| Deck Legend Fire (MX Blacks) | KBC Poker X (MX Reds) | Cherry G80-11900LTMUS (MX Clears) |  Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (MX "Ghetto Reds")
| IBM Model M 1391401 (BS) | Goldtouch GTC-0033 Keypad (MX Browns) |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Quote from: turbocharged;539377
It really doesn't matter much to me...just thought it was a cool story :). But thanks for that.
I actually don't care about your name, I just decided pg up and down would make me seem way cooler. Sorry for the confusion.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
Quote from: litster;539069
Wow! 2 more pages over night!  I will update the list when I get a chance.

I agree with Ripster.  We need to be persistent in getting it done right if there is any mistake in creating the legend.  From Hashbaz's recently experience and the good looking font that the Korean community did, looks like the SP dog can learn new tricks.

The beating will not stop until the font legend quality improves!

As for the committee, I think Hazeluff, Hashbaz, tsangan are some of the founding members as they have been involved in recent group buys with new legend creations.  Who else would like to join the effort?

I'd jump in on helping out. I'm interested in running a GB once these legends get worked out (currently thinking white on red sphericals). That's a bit in the future, but I'm interested in seeing these legends succeed.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline litster

We have only one key left in the tenkeyless set for adoption.  ^6 is a good number.  Someone pick it up!

I think we are ready to collect money, if we know how much to collect.  As for who should be the escrow, besides iMav, I think anyone who have had managed successful group buys would be trustworthy enough to collect money.  Someone who have done custom legends in group buys could drive getting the legends made.  There are more capable people here to do these than me.  I am happy to continue to organize the adoption drive and the naming right auction.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: litster;539543
We have only one key left in the tenkeyless set for adoption.  ^6 is a good number.  Someone pick it up!

I think we are ready to collect money, if we know how much to collect.  As for who should be the escrow, besides iMav, I think anyone who have had managed successful group buys would be trustworthy enough to collect money.  Someone who have done custom legends in group buys could drive getting the legends made.  There are more capable people here to do these than me.  I am happy to continue to organize the adoption drive and the naming right auction.

I'm tempted cos I do love the ^. ==''

I think someone who is/will be doing a GB for full sets.

First we need to know how much it would cost.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline RColinTaylor

I bid $105 for the naming of the kit on the basis that I can name it, "**** you, Paypal".

payable in April.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: RColinTaylor;539582
I bid $105 for the naming of the kit on the basis that I can name it, "**** you, Paypal".

payable in April.

Will totally be worth your money eh.

Offline RColinTaylor

Quote from: hazeluff;539584
Will totally be worth your money eh.

I have funded less worthy causes.

Offline Nighted

Quote from: RColinTaylor;539590
I have funded less worthy causes.

Ex's for example? lol
^ 100% teleprompter free.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline RColinTaylor

Quote from: Nighted;539593
Ex's for example? lol

I got to fornicate productively with my ex's... Paypal simply ****ed me.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: RColinTaylor;539596
I got to fornicate productively with my ex's... Paypal simply ****ed me.

Surely they both did ; p

Its gonna be nice telling mellisa I want it in the ****-you-paypal font.

Offline Nighted

^ Priceless!
^ 100% teleprompter free.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
Regardless of what we name it, I have a feeling she will label the box "Geekhack Weirdos" or similar...
Russ

Offline litster

RcollinTaylor, thanks for the bid.  But seriously I would stick to your forum screen name so we don't have to swear every time we need to mention this set.  Keep it clean.  :-)

Offline ReAzem

Quote from: litster;539617
RcollinTaylor, thanks for the bid.  But seriously I would stick to your forum screen name so we don't have to swear every time we need to mention this set.  Keep it clean.  :-)

That would ruin the fun.

Offline litster

We have plenty of opportunity to swear all the time, but I don't think it is appropriate to use swear words to name a font legend that is made possible by this awesome community effort we have here.

Forum screen name only please.

Offline litster

I think you should bid and win this, Ripster.  How could the number one keyboard expert on the planet not having a keycap font legend name after him?  Imagine all the people who don't like you have to say your name every time the refer to this font?  :-)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
Good call.  $1 per post pledge, Rip?
Russ

Offline lorem3k

• http://twitter.com/#!/lorem3k
Quote from: litster;539657
I think you should bid and win this, Ripster.  How could the number one keyboard expert on the planet not having a keycap font legend name after him?  Imagine all the people who don't like you have to say your name every time the refer to this font?  :-)
What will this mean for Ripster? Story at 11.
Leopold FC200RT/AWN | Logitech G400 | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | Pounds in the fridge, hundred stacks in the armoire

Offline KylJoy

I'll take numlock, too.

Offline dfxdx

I'll take '+' on the numberpad if that is still going in addition to the 'H' which was confirmed earlier. I'll also have '~#' too - this is for a UK layout.

Offline litster

List updated.  Remaining keys to be adopted.

Numpad 1   
Numpad 2   
Numpad 3   
Numpad 4   
Numpad 6   
Numpad 7   
Numpad 8   
Numpad 9   
Numpad 0   
Numpad -   
Numpad /   
Numpad Enter   

And of course the poor ^6 keycap.  Someone!  Anyone!  Six rhymes with sex!  Come get some six!

Offline turbocharged

Quote from: litster;540204
Six rhymes with sex!  Come get some six!

Haha....watch out for "adopt the ^6" pm rush.
| Deck Legend Fire (MX Blacks) | KBC Poker X (MX Reds) | Cherry G80-11900LTMUS (MX Clears) |  Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (MX "Ghetto Reds")

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline litster

(YOU^6)=∞

^6 aka the "power of six" key!  Really!  

I should be in marketing.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Who was it that was after an R3 six key for so long ... demik I think?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Yessir, that was me. Now I have two lol
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
I'd adopt '^6' if we can confirm that its $10 per legend ><

Offline turbocharged

Quote from: ripster;540296
Can someone remind me again why we aren't putting the $5K into making some nice thick Cherry Corp R1-R4 Molds?

I like this idea too, but does their process even allow for thicker keys?

Can someone clarify something about the molds to me though. What is the price for...104 new molds?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Zehkul

Quote from: ripster;540296
Can someone remind me again why we aren't putting the $5K into making some nice thick Cherry Corp R1-R4 Molds?

Because it's impossible. Otherwise the Koreans would already have done it.

Offline turbocharged

Quote from: ripster;540371
Shouldn't have to be 104 new molds.  R1-R4 plus modifiers.

I wasn't referring to the molds for the thicker keys. I was referring to the molds for all a whole new font. I'm just not sure how keycaps are made. Is it a base mold (R1-R4/modifiers) and then a character mold added...or is each character/key combo its own mold? (or something completely different)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline litster

Quote from: ripster;540371
Shouldn't have to be 104 new molds.  R1-R4 plus modifiers.

Anyone know how much it would cost?  I smell another adoption drive!  This time someone can really adopt the spacebar.  

Paging BiNiaRiS.  Your child is looking for you.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
You know what give me the ^6.

with my keys i can make ...

'= (', '= )', '==' and '^^'

Emoticons woot.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
I remember reading that it costs hundreds of dollars per key type to make entirely new molds.  We should double check with Melissa to be sure, but we are definitely talking about a ton of money.

Quote from: turbocharged;540382
I wasn't referring to the molds for the thicker keys. I was referring to the molds for all a whole new font. I'm just not sure how keycaps are made. Is it a base mold (R1-R4/modifiers) and then a character mold added...or is each character/key combo its own mold? (or something completely different)

The distinction is between molds and legends.  What we are raising money for here is new legends, which cost us between $25 and $45 apiece.  A new legend can't change the shape of the key.  New molds on the other hand can create a wholly new profile and key shape (and maybe wall thickness), but cost an unknown large amount of money per key type.  I don't think anyone from geekhack has ever done a new mold before.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 March 2012, 16:43:28 by hashbaz »

Offline litster

List updated.  11 keycap legends left.

Numpad 1   
Numpad 2   
Numpad 3   
Numpad 4   
Numpad 6   
Numpad 8   
Numpad 9   
Numpad 0   
Numpad -   
Numpad /   
Numpad Enter

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
These 104 users better chip in, or else we don't want to hear *****ing when GB start for full sets.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

I'll take Numpad 1, Numpad 2, and Numpad 3 please.

+1 for getting as close to OEM Cherry font/thickness as possible.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: TranscendingLogic;540668
I'll take Numpad 1, Numpad 2, and Numpad 3 please.

+1 for getting as close to OEM Cherry font/thickness as possible.

We won't get very accurate. But using a thicker drill width we should get nice legends.

Offline litster

List updated.  8 keycap legends left.

Numpad 4
Numpad 6
Numpad 8
Numpad 9
Numpad 0
Numpad -
Numpad /
Numpad Enter

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
new molds would be extremely expensive, as we would need to send them a solidworks file for each key type, then pay their tooling costs to get the molds made for their doubleshot machine. this would probably involve iteration. then finally, whatever their costs, their fees are almost certainly predicated on a MOQ of actual keys that we would need to order at the same time or otherwise contract them for.

oh and then finally, i bet we'd need to get a new set of 104 legend molds made for the new key molds.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 March 2012, 23:45:24 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
I would consider adopting more if I had a better idea of what the actual cost is going to be.
Russ