Author Topic: [IC] Blush Linear Switch | GB LIVE!  (Read 10962 times)

Offline ^prince

[IC] Blush Linear Switch | GB LIVE!
« on: Sat, 05 March 2022, 21:31:48 »

GB LIVE NOW

GB DATE - 15TH APRIL to the 12TH MAY

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116926.0

Photos & Renders

Photos

Renders

Renders are not indicative of the final colour. Please refer to the photos for a more accurate representation.

---------

Switch Information and Background

Materials

Top housing - Polycarbonate
Bottom housing - Nylon
Stem - Long POM linear stem
Spring - 58g dual-stage stainless steel spring
Factory lube - None
Travel distance - 3.3mm

Sick of thin, cheap sounding and feeling switches, I wanted to provide something different to a lot of the newer linears on the market, specifically those manufactured by Durock/JWK. With this in mind, I had two primary goals with this switch - to provide full and even housing collisions while maintaining that level of smoothness that enthusiasts have come to expect in recent years. After multiple rounds of prototyping, the Blush linear switch is ready to be run in its final form.

For the top housing, while prototypes were made with both polycarbonate (PC) and nylon plastic, polycarbonate was chosen over nylon to provide a better overall typing feel. Nylon leads to the switch feeling ‘flat’ and sounding dull and introduces slightly more scratch to the keystroke - similar to that of stock MX Blacks. Polycarbonate was determined to be the better choice because of the higher level of smoothness it provides, as well as the poppier sound signature.
Dual-stage springs are generally longer than normal springs, which tend to be around 15mm in length. The springs used in the Blush linear switch are 20mm in length, which is significantly longer than standard 15mm springs. Because of the extra length, the spring is pre-compressed in the switch, making it heavier at the start of the keystroke, which also leads to a snappier return, providing more feedback when typing. Not only does this deliver a more satisfying typing experience, but it also helps towards combating the slight thinness in feel that polycarbonate top housings can introduce - by topping out with greater force.
The stem is made of POM and has a pole that’s longer than normal linear switches. The extra length improves the sound of the switch and causes a sharper, hard-hitting bottom out. Just like the dual-stage spring, the longer stem also helps to increase typing feedback and provides a more satisfying and ‘full’ feeling.
Nylon is a great all-rounder material for bottom housings, which is why it’s seen in many switches. It has high wear resistance and is relatively hard, which is necessary to keep the switch working well even when abused during long gaming sessions.

Manufacturer

The switch is manufactured by Aflion, as denoted by the branding on the top housing. While being a relatively new manufacturer, the quality of their switches is exceptional. Over the last few months, samples from various manufacturers have been tested to find the one most suited to provide the level of quality I was seeking. After seeing what Aflion had to offer, I was immediately very impressed and chose to work with them closely to bring my vision into a product that I was happy with. Aflion’s switches tend to have thicker housings, similar to those of Tecsee, while coming at a cheaper price point. The thicker housings provide a more solid and premium typing feel, in line with the design goals of the switch.

---------

Additional Renders

Shown on PLX by peac.design

---------

Typing Tests

Stock Blush switches on the Freebird60 - Zestrion on Twitch

Blush Linear Switch first look and comparison - Zestrion on Twitch

Lubed Blush switches on the Ciel - All Caps on Youtube

Stock Blush switches on the F1 - ThicThacThok on Twitch

Stock Blush switches on the Palmetto60 - Jae proto[Typist] on Twitch

Lubed Blush switches on the Ciel - All Caps on Instagram

---------

Group Buy Date

The group buy will run from the 15th of April, and last for a month. While unlikely, these dates may change so please keep an eye out!

---------

Vendors

Prices shown in each vendor’s local currency, per pack of 10 switches.

NA - Dangkeebs $5.50
CA - AlphaKeys $6.94
EU - MyKeyboard €6.00
UK - proto[Typist] £4.33
SK - Swagkeys ₩6,759
VN - UniqMeck ₫135,000
AUS - All Caps $7.50
CN/ROW - KBDfans $5.50 USD

To promote a successful group buy, it was essential to me to have a selection of global vendors that I could trust to fulfill their duties and deliver on time. Each vendor was carefully selected based on an exceptional track record and their dedication to the keyboard community. Working together, the vendors and I will do everything possible to ensure a smooth group buy so that we can get these switches into your hands as soon as physically possible.

---------

To Do

- Confirm GB dates
- Typing Tests
- Confirm individual vendor pricing

More
Special thanks to the following people-
Rory from peac.design for providing the renders
The team from AllCaps, especially JC for all of his help
Nangtendo for taking the amazing photos
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2022, 23:18:20 by ^prince »

Offline ^prince

Re: [IC] Blush Linear Switch
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 March 2022, 21:57:48 »
Updates

Force Curve Graph 12/3/22

GB Dates Set 17/3/22

GB scheduled for the 15th of April.

Giveaway Announced 18/3/22

Giveaway information located in the IC form!

Vendor Name Change 25/3/22

DQ Store name changed to UniqMeck. It is still the same store, just under a different name. I also used the wrong abbreviation for Vietnam, so that is now fixed. Whoops!

Soundtests Available! 1/4/22

After much anticipation, the first soundtest is here! More to come very soon.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 March 2022, 20:20:37 by ^prince »

Offline ALL CAPS

• ALLCAPS
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 March 2022, 02:11:19 »
Very stoked to see this project come to life!

Offline TheIcyKoala

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 March 2022, 02:18:55 »
Aflion seems like an interesting manufacturer and I've been wanting to try one of their linears. I appreciate the lack of factory lube. Other than spring, are these similar to the inovkeys matcha latte switches or are there changes to the mold or plastic blends?

Offline ^prince

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 March 2022, 02:46:55 »
Aflion seems like an interesting manufacturer and I've been wanting to try one of their linears. I appreciate the lack of factory lube. Other than spring, are these similar to the inovkeys matcha latte switches or are there changes to the mold or plastic blends?

Hey, thanks for stopping by! These are very similar to the Matcha Latte switches. There are some differences between the housings of the Blush and Matcha Latte switches, indicating they do use different molds. Most noticeably the Blush stems feature a slightly longer pole than the Matcha Lattes, leading to a shorter travel distance. The total travel distance of the Blush switches is 3.3mm, while the Matcha Lattes have a 3.5mm travel distance. Once lubed, both switches boast an identical level of smoothness and sound quite similar. In terms of plastic blends, both have PC tops, nylon bottoms and POM stems. I can't tell you if they use the exact same blends of those plastics, as it can be difficult to determine what actually happens behind the scenes in the factories. Hopefully that answers your question!
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 March 2022, 02:49:29 by ^prince »

Offline azzipa

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 March 2022, 10:21:27 »
looks interesting, def will watch. aflion is active in the ‘budget’ space. just looking at alibaba i see prices of $0.10 usd per switch with >1,000 unit purchase. with your specs i’m wondering what you’re thinking?
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 March 2022, 10:25:04 by azzipa »

Offline ^prince

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 March 2022, 12:13:59 »
looks interesting, def will watch. aflion is active in the ‘budget’ space. just looking at alibaba i see prices of $0.10 usd per switch with >1,000 unit purchase. with your specs i’m wondering what you’re thinking?

Heya! Current pricing is set at 75c AUD per switch. We are stoked with this price for such a well performing custom linear. As you can tell, this is cheaper than other manufacturers, like Durock and Tecsee.

I’d quickly like to add that the prices you see on Alibaba for 10c usd per switch, is only for people ordering over 1 million switches. When you are buying switches in smaller quantities, like 1000, the price per switch is much higher. Please also keep in mind that we are unable to offer the switch at those sorts of prices as there are many costs involved in designing and running a custom switch, as well as the fact that both the vendors and I do need to make a profit.

Offline tuesdaygloom

• wait.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 March 2022, 12:56:00 »
this switch makes me blush   :-[

Offline azzipa

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 March 2022, 17:49:58 »
thanks for your quick answer! i have no problem with any business making a profit. it’s up to the buyer to decide if there is value at a given price. (value being a function of price and functionality and/or quality) i’m digging your specs, so there’s that. would be great for me if you have a usa proxy to help with shipping. glwgb  :thumb:

Heya! Current pricing is set at 75c AUD per switch. We are stoked with this price for such a well performing custom linear. As you can tell, this is cheaper than other manufacturers, like Durock and Tecsee.

I’d quickly like to add that the prices you see on Alibaba for 10c usd per switch, is only for people ordering over 1 million switches. When you are buying switches in smaller quantities, like 1000, the price per switch is much higher. Please also keep in mind that we are unable to offer the switch at those sorts of prices as there are many costs involved in designing and running a custom switch, as well as the fact that both the vendors and I do need to make a profit.

Offline ^prince

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 06 March 2022, 19:13:34 »
thanks for your quick answer! i have no problem with any business making a profit. it’s up to the buyer to decide if there is value at a given price. (value being a function of price and functionality and/or quality) i’m digging your specs, so there’s that. would be great for me if you have a usa proxy to help with shipping. glwgb  :thumb:

Dangkeebs is the regional vendor for the US :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 March 2022, 19:17:37 by ^prince »

Offline marici22

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 06 March 2022, 19:24:54 »
I wonder how much stem wobble it has. I've recently have become a fan of high profile keycaps that tends to magnify the stem wobble.

Offline ^prince

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 06 March 2022, 22:00:54 »
I wonder how much stem wobble it has. I've recently have become a fan of high profile keycaps that tends to magnify the stem wobble.

Stem wobble is similar to that of recent Durock v2 switches. It shouldn’t be an issue for most people.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 19:18:16 »
meant to ask earlier: any chance you can post a force curve graph? would love to see force vs. stem travel. and that snappy response!  :thumb:

Offline rndr

• Keyboard Enthusiast Writeups
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 09:49:34 »
Please consider having an Indian vendor

Offline lakdsjfhklasdjfh

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 14:38:04 »
looks great!
def will look into getting these once the gb comes around
simp for smooth linears and mid strength tactiles, currently looking for a good 1800 layout board

Offline ^prince

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 19:49:34 »
meant to ask earlier: any chance you can post a force curve graph? would love to see force vs. stem travel. and that snappy response!  :thumb:

I will update with a force curve graph tonight.

Offline bigtunhakuna

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 02:51:43 »
looking good!

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 March 2022, 13:54:32 »
looking forward to the group-buy on the 15th!
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 March 2022, 10:22:55 by granola bar enthusiast »

Offline alxce

Re: [IC] Blush Linear Switch | GB 15/04 | GIVEAWAY!
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 March 2022, 16:14:43 »
ill probably get a batch of those! nice work! ♥

Offline ^prince

Re: [IC] Blush Linear Switch | GB 15/04 | GIVEAWAY!
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 16 April 2022, 04:12:15 »
ill probably get a batch of those! nice work! ♥

:thumb:

Offline ^prince

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 16 April 2022, 04:12:53 »
looking forward to the group-buy on the 15th!

;D

Offline ^prince

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 16 April 2022, 04:13:33 »
looks great!
def will look into getting these once the gb comes around

Your support is appreciated!

Offline ^prince

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 16 April 2022, 04:14:33 »

Offline ^prince

Re: [IC] Blush Linear Switch | Sound Tests | GIVEAWAY!
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 16 April 2022, 05:14:32 »
Thread locked. Please follow the GB thread for updates.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116926.0