Author Topic: Best PS/2-to-USB adapter  (Read 9009 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Best PS/2-to-USB adapter
« on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 04:24:20 »
I'd just like to go on record about this. When newbies come to GH wondering how to use a PS/2 keyboard on a USB port, they're often told to get one of these:

...the ubiquitous "Blue Cube" converter. However, I've found they don't always work, and their pudgy cases can block adjoining ports.

What has always worked—for me, at least—are the white generic three-cable mouse+KB converters:

(Note that it's not just a cable, but has a little electronics module in the middle. And the mouse connector is optional.)

Plus, they're cheaper than the BCs. Ridiculously cheap. Like, under $2 shipped. So noobs, please get the cable one.

And remember, USB is designed to be "hot pluggable", but PS/2 is not. So to avoid damaging your PC and/or KB, always:
  • Attach the adapter to your keyboard before you plug it into your PC.
  • Remove the adapter from your PC before you remove it from your keyboard.

(Someone feel free to make this sticky, if you think it's worthwhile.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 November 2015, 04:37:03 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline raymogi

Re: Best PS/2-to-USB adapter
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 04:37:01 »
Yea I have one of those white ones and they work perfect on PC.

On the Mac it's a different story though. It freezes my trackpad left click most of the time so I'm still looking for a replacement.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 04:39:52 »
For Macs, don't you have to go to the Apple Store and buy the special $25 converter made by Apple? Isn't Mac stuff always like that?  :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 07:15:02 »
I have the white one as well. Works great. Mine is a TrendNet branded one from Amazon, like $7 shipped. Still a good deal and I got it in 2 days.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline raymogi

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 07:22:23 »
For Macs, don't you have to go to the Apple Store and buy the special $25 converter made by Apple? Isn't Mac stuff always like that?  :?)

lol no. I've never heard of such thing as Apple PS2 to USB converter.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 20:04:57 »
I have one of these: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/usb-to-ps2-serial-multimode-adapter

Well, actually I have 3 of those.  They work well.

The weirdest combination was my old NEC keyboard with AT plug plus a AT to PS/2 converter plus one of these adaptors plugged in to my Mac - worked!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline raymogi

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 20:12:29 »
I have one of these: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/usb-to-ps2-serial-multimode-adapter

Well, actually I have 3 of those.  They work well.

The weirdest combination was my old NEC keyboard with AT plug plus a AT to PS/2 converter plus one of these adaptors plugged in to my Mac - worked!

Yeah that's the one I'm waiting for in the mail. Looks the best and since you said it worked perfect on the Mac, it's even better :)

Offline dragon788

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 21:55:39 »
Somebody has been selling a custom job on eBay running soarers firmware with a nice guide and links back to the forum. I grabbed one and it is working great so far on everything I've tried it with, even an Android tablet.

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 22:57:22 »
Is there such thing as a Din 5 to usb adapter? Doing a megazord of adapters to make some of my old boards to work isnt very elegant.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 23:00:07 »
That brings me back to that post I made ages ago.... 

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45475.msg1570700#msg1570700

LOL!  Hahaha!  I'm laughing again!
Edit: The last picture is the clincher!
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 November 2015, 23:02:43 by Snowdog993 »

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 17:08:54 »
I use one like that, but instead its a black one. It works fairly well, but occasionally doesn't work on a Mac. Also, thanks for the information about PS2.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 22:06:58 »
I will probably need to buy every single one of them to try which one work with otd pcb.. my ps/2 connector on my motherboard seems going to die

Offline raymogi

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 22:13:26 »

I will probably need to buy every single one of them to try which one work with otd pcb.. my ps/2 connector on my motherboard seems going to die

The white one with split end works with OTD. I have tried it myself.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 22:45:43 »

The white one with split end works with OTD. I have tried it myself.

awesome! let me buy one right now and try it  :)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 11:22:03 »
Apparently this one by Trendnet is also very good:
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-USB-1-1-Converter-TU-PS2/dp/B0007T27HI

I haven't used it myself, but with over a thousand reviews and several people with model Ms even saying that this worked when others didn't, I think it's got a good track record.