Author Topic: [IC] Ironsides70 -- Steel Keyboard Project  (Read 3852 times)

Offline M52engi

[IC] Ironsides70 -- Steel Keyboard Project
« on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 14:50:09 »
    Due to extremely high volume of requests, I will be closing the IC form tomorrow. I will be locking this thread here though since I must admit I only posted to Geekhack on a request of another user, and am not familiar with the forum at all. Thank you to anyone who filled out the form.  :)

Introducing the Ironsides70!

https://i.imgur.com/zKqo5xS.png

I was asked to add this IC to Geekhack, the original post can be found on Reddit.

The Ironsides70 is a project that I have been working on for some time. Combining my love of 20th century machines and beautiful keyboards, the Ironsides is truly a project of passion. Milled from steel in the United States and paired with a laser-cut brass plate and SMT 70% PCB, it combines unique, hopefully interesting lines and style cues with the convenience and simplicity of modern mechanical keyboards. Through many concepts I was able to make a keyboard I can truly call my own that I hope will stand out amongst the rest of any collection.

The beautiful black-blue color that the case will take on will be a result of a rust bluing process, which when applied correctly provides a very rich and elegant finish not possible with anodizing or painting. While the cases will be machined professionally, the bluing process will be done by yours truly using a method that I have had great results with in my own garage. Not only will the bluing give your keyboard a unique and eye-catching appearance, it will be the result of many hours of hand-finished care and attention.

With my limited rendering and artistic experience, I was able to make up some renders of the current 3D concept of the Ironsides70. As far as engineering work is concerned, it is a fully complete project, but some minor changes may be made based on feedback, and as always colors and finishes are not 100% accurate.

**Imgur Album:** https://imgur.com/a/DbBtErU

**Editing some info in that may be helpful:**

>5 Degree Slope

>The Home Row sits between 1-3/32" and 1-5/32" from the table as currently designed. This may move slightly in final production.

> I have plans to experiment with a gasket between the brass plate and steel case to dampen any vibrations between them. This is not currently shown.[/li][/list]

The Ironsides70 will not be a large production run, and will be available only as a limited batch of ~20 or less units depending on demand. Each unit will be serialized, assembled and finely fitted before being shipped off, giving each buyer a unique piece that they can call their own. Due to the very small production size, I hope to work with each buyer to ensure their Ironsides is unique. Subtle changes in the bluing hue, different plate materials, personally selected serial numbers and more are expected to be offered before each order is finalized.

I have already contacted and begun the process of finalizing quotes for all of the necessary materials from manufacturers, so rest assured that the Ironsides70 is fully possible and ready to begin its journey. I originally was going to make a single example for myself, but thought that the community who got me interested in keyboards deserved to be offered the chance to have one too!

To be clear, the Ironsides70 package will include: A custom blued and serialized CNC machined steel case, a laser-cut brass (or other) plate, a matching 70% layout SMT PCB, as well as all the hardware needed to assemble it. I am open to exploring custom packaging solutions, but to keep costs as low as possible I currently plan to ship these in bubble wrap!

I have made up a Google form with some more info here:
https://forms.gle/J3BJBau8AsN2JHeq7

The Form will be open for 2 weeks ending on March 12th.

Please only fill out the form if you are interested in buying, as I need realistic order quantity numbers to begin finalizing pricing and batch sizes to request from each vendor. This will allow me to better inform serious buyers on how much each unit will cost.

The caps, switches and cable shown in the renders are not part of the package, but if any other creators wish to make companion items (such as wrist rests, artisans and cables) you have my full permission to do so. If you so desire I will inform my buyers that such products are available, but do not wish to be financially involved with third-party projects.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 February 2021, 08:42:29 by M52engi »

Offline of_sam

Re: [IC] Ironsides70 -- Steel Keyboard Project
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 14:52:38 »
@Kokaloo pls come defend this one too.
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline Alessio

• YT Channel
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 14:53:12 »
uh... it's a keyboard? i think?

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 14:53:23 »
@Kokaloo pls come defend this one too.
reserved

Offline gilbert

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 14:54:34 »
account created on the 26th of febuary, first ic on the 26th of febuary
Collection: F1.69, G80-5K, Bliss TKL, Ecliptica, Cypher, Safa S588, Southpaw Fullsize, HHKB Pro2, Zenith G80-1192HAD

Offline Nuclear Nachos

• Anima and Animus
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 14:55:06 »
is it low profile? render looks like it is

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 14:55:54 »
is it low profile? render looks like it is
Based off the renders it looks low profile.

Planning on getting a proto?
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline azzipa

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 15:13:29 »
Here it is...

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 15:20:37 »
Target price range?

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 16:53:58 »
This looks like a seamless board that is missing it's top
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 18:19:44 »
A 60% + F Row board finally happened, well done.