geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

What are you reading? (The thread about what you are reading)

(1/10) > >>

Kavik:
Since 461 days have passed since this thread (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80900.0) was updated, I figured I'd start a new topic.

Last summer, I read the F@gles (GH won't let me spell his name without censoring....) translations of both The Iliad and The Odyssey by Homer. Out of curiosity, I am currently reading the Wishbone adaptation of The Odyssey by Joanne Mattern since it is the version I read as a kid. It is a very simplified take on the story, and it leaves out a lot of details. It is an easy read, and it's ok for a recap of the story. I've been reading it before bed as a way to increase my sleep hygiene (instead of going to bed right after being on the computer or watching TV).

I've liked The Odyssey since I was a kid because of this book (and the Wishbone episode and videogame based on it) though I never appreciated it fully until I read an actual translation.

The Iliad was harder to understand and not as interesting. It had a good moral, but it took more analysis to grasp it, and the story relies more on other stories in Greek literature than does The Odyssey in my opinion.

I have a bunch of other Wishbone books that I never read, so I'm wondering if I should bother reading them now or just read the actual classics they are based on at this point in my life.

audiosl4ve:
only thing i read before was mangas while going to work and back. Last few years i started reading Chinese web novels, Wuxia novels. It's like love at first sight. I love reading them and very much enjoy whole world and concept. Been reading them on Wuxiaworld and i very much recommend you all if you even want to start reading chinesee fantasy stuff you can start there. Most novels are translated on daily bases and list of novels is long and for everyone's tastes.

fohat.digs:
One of the most frightening books that I have ever encountered.

Superb and must-reading for anybody who cares about the future of America.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30011020-democracy-in-chains

no, the other guy:
Currently, mostly music magazines and a book to learn Japanese.

Tactile:
Just finished this book about the North Korean seizure of a US spy ship in 1969:

And now back to some sci-fi. This is book two of the Fractured europe series - it's pretty good so far:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version