Author Topic: Definitive Omron Switch Guide for Mice  (Read 367878 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Definitive Omron Switch Guide for Mice
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 11:39:25 »
I replaced my Logitech Marathon m705 switches yesterday after spending quite some time desoldering, especially the square joint, wouldn't melt! But i did it and it worked!

Today i tried to do the same on a cheaper mouse Logitech M510, it went as a breeze and i was so confident. But went i turned it on, both clicks didn't work, i replaced both. I noticed that the switches were Kailh and i replaced with the Omron, could they not be compatible? Other thing that i might have screwed up when desoldering is i think i removed a metal ring around a joint in the back.

No, they're definitely compatible.

might've soldered too long and melted the switchs internally.

Or the Traces might've been burnt out.

Did you use a solder sucker to reduce the total soldering time ?

Offline JianYang

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 12:04:58 »
I replaced my Logitech Marathon m705 switches yesterday after spending quite some time desoldering, especially the square joint, wouldn't melt! But i did it and it worked!

Today i tried to do the same on a cheaper mouse Logitech M510, it went as a breeze and i was so confident. But went i turned it on, both clicks didn't work, i replaced both. I noticed that the switches were Kailh and i replaced with the Omron, could they not be compatible? Other thing that i might have screwed up when desoldering is i removed a metal ring around a joint in the back.

Now that i've reopened it and examined the joints, i'm pretty sure it's that metal ring that i removed since the solder doesn't stay down but rather form like a ball on top. If that's the problem, does anyone know how i could replace that metal ring? I thought all circuits are supposed on the other side?

Always add some leaded solder when desoldering, the solder from the factory will be lead-free and adding lead will make it a lot easier to unsolder.

You will have to repair the damaged traces with wire or something like that. Having a picture of the damage might help.

Offline zennon

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 12:27:27 »

Today i tried to do the same on a cheaper mouse Logitech M510, it went as a breeze and i was so confident. But went i turned it on, both clicks didn't work, i replaced both. I noticed that the switches were Kailh and i replaced with the Omron, could they not be compatible? Other thing that i might have screwed up when desoldering is i removed a metal ring around a joint in the back.

Now that i've reopened it and examined the joints, i'm pretty sure it's that metal ring that i removed since the solder doesn't stay down but rather form like a ball on top. If that's the problem, does anyone know how i could replace that metal ring? I thought all circuits are supposed on the other side?

Always add some leaded solder when desoldering, the solder from the factory will be lead-free and adding lead will make it a lot easier to unsolder.

You will have to repair the damaged traces with wire or something like that. Having a picture of the damage might help.

Here is a pic :

How to repair that metal ring? I use a pump to remove the solder it came just out with it.

Offline zennon

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 12:29:15 »
199642-0

Pic is the current state. I removed the solder from those middle joints. How to repair those traces?

After further research, those are called eyelets. Do they come off easily when desoldering and what are the most likely cause? It can't be me when both middle joint eyelets came off and not the other 2, right?
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 July 2018, 12:45:05 by zennon »

Offline JianYang

« Reply #104 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 13:00:32 »
(Attachment Link)

Pic is the current state. I removed the solder from those middle joints. How to repair those traces?

After further research, those are called eyelets. Do they come off easily when desoldering and what are the most likely cause? It can't be me when both middle joint eyelets came off and not the other 2, right?

The cause is usually delamination from too much heat, mixed with some physical abuse. You are going to have to trace those tracks out and repair with thin wire. I cannot see from the pic where they use to go.

Offline zennon

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 13:03:21 »
(Attachment Link)

The cause is usually delamination from too much heat, mixed with some physical abuse. You are going to have to trace those tracks out and repair with thin wire. I cannot see from the pic where they use to go.

I have a different board, can i salvage the eyelets? If so how to remove them?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 21:10:23 »
I'm guessing the metal ring was the pcb trace.
If so the only fix is to find where the ring, and trance connect to, and run a wire from the switch post to the  spot it used to connect (a jumper wire).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Boromir

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 13:45:48 »
Ordered few D2FC-F-7N switches from ebay for my g700s but what I got are labeled D2FC-F-N and despite the furious googling I can't seem to find any mentions of what that missing 7 means (maybe it's mentioned here already but I'm blind)? I opened one and from quick glance it seems the same as pictures of 7N ones. Should work just as well?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 14:31:24 »
Ordered few D2FC-F-7N switches from ebay for my g700s but what I got are labeled D2FC-F-N and despite the furious googling I can't seem to find any mentions of what that missing 7 means (maybe it's mentioned here already but I'm blind)? I opened one and from quick glance it seems the same as pictures of 7N ones. Should work just as well?

probably slight difference in Plunger height.

You'll need a mitutoyo if you want to know for sure though..

Offline Boromir

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 17:30:21 »

I do have digital caliper at work but I do not have spare 7N that I could compare to and I rather not open my only working (apart from random double clicks) mouse before I have replacement switch for it. Do you think the (possible) height difference is big enough to matter?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 18:35:13 »

I do have digital caliper at work but I do not have spare 7N that I could compare to and I rather not open my only working (apart from random double clicks) mouse before I have replacement switch for it. Do you think the (possible) height difference is big enough to matter?

Depending on the mouse it may or may not matter.

For example, the D2F japan omron is too tall for alot of logitech mice..

While it works fine in Microsoft Classic IME/IMO mices from over 20 yrs ago...

I think you can safely just put it in..

Make sure to be fast on the soldering, because these switches have a 3sec max soldering time..

The traces on these boards are also very thin.

I Recommend 650F.. soldering temperature.

Offline 537Z3R

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 06:50:58 »
Where can I find what omron switch should I buy for a Razer Mamba with a left click switch that is failing?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 13:45:42 »
Where can I find what omron switch should I buy for a Razer Mamba with a left click switch that is failing?

If it's just the switch, and you're comfortable with soldering small traces,  it's buyable..

It's really easy to over-solder/ over-heat omrons,  people don't realize this, and they're walkn' round with gimpped switches.

But as a general rule,  Logitech makes the best mouse... Find something logitech before going anywhere else..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 17:38:29 »
It's really easy to over-solder/ over-heat omrons,  people don't realize this, and they're walkn' round with gimpped switches.

Omron says not to get the tip hotter than 300c and not more than 3 seconds while most people don't even have a temp controlled iron.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 12:47:42 »

Omron says not to get the tip hotter than 300c and not more than 3 seconds while most people don't even have a temp controlled iron.

I think they meant don't get the solder hotter than 300C..  but the tip will probably be 340c to 370c which is common soldering temp.

I guesssss the small joints on omron could be accomplished with 300 C tip , but it might be longer than 3 seconds..

But my iron doesn't have a giant heat mass, so.. i guess if them UBER pro irons, 300C is fine.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 18:10:25 »
I think they meant don't get the solder hotter than 300C..  but the tip will probably be 340c to 370c which is common soldering temp.
As per the Omron D2F manual:

"When soldering make sure that the temperature of the tip is not higher than 300°c, and complete the soldering within 3 seconds. Do not apply any external force for 1 minute after soldering. Soldering at an excessive high temperature or soldering for more than 3 seconds may deteriorate the characteristics of the switch."
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 20:36:25 »
Switched to 1.47 Newton switches for a day,  wow, these are STIFF after using 0.74n for so long..

Offline mikeman

« Reply #117 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 17:02:46 »
Hi,
I have to replace the switches in my G602. In fact the wheel button does not work, but Ill replace them all. I have problem of identyfing the name of switch/possible replacement of wheel button switch... Anyone knows whst is it?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 19:58:53 »
It's probably a PTS645 series switch. I'm not sure of the weight (there is often 2 or 3) and you will need to check pinout and size to be sure, but that is likely it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #119 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 21:33:53 »
It's probably a PTS645 series switch. I'm not sure of the weight (there is often 2 or 3) and you will need to check pinout and size to be sure, but that is likely it.

Lots of companies make these,  quite hard to identify, they probably swap between producers between batches as well, because the only Brand critical switch is Omron.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 22:51:35 »

Lots of companies make these,  quite hard to identify, they probably swap between producers between batches as well, because the only Brand critical switch is Omron.
PTS645, like the D2F is a standardized part. It's not a part number or made by a specific company.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline mikeman

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 04:18:24 »
Well, it's not the best source of information, but on aliexp there are pictures (technical ones too) of Omron B3F-1000 and BF3-1002, when searching for wheel button switch g602 and it looks like it would fit, so I have ordered both.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 07:30:31 »
Well, it's not the best source of information, but on aliexp there are pictures (technical ones too) of Omron B3F-1000 and BF3-1002, when searching for wheel button switch g602 and it looks like it would fit, so I have ordered both.

as long as the plunger is the same height,  even if the pin doesn't fit, you can just glue it and use small wires. this isn't anything high tech.

Offline AdrianMan

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 03:57:41 »
Hey guys :)

I have a Logitech MX master stone and a Logitech G603 wireless.

I was thinking of converting them to use silent switches on the Right/Left Click.

What silent switches do you recommend and are compatible with them to swap the clicky stock ones ?

Thanks !

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 07:28:27 »
Hey guys :)

I have a Logitech MX master stone and a Logitech G603 wireless.

I was thinking of converting them to use silent switches on the Right/Left Click.

What silent switches do you recommend and are compatible with them to swap the clicky stock ones ?

Thanks !

Any switches should work in those mice. You just have to match the height and pin schematic.

Even if the pins don't match, as long as the height matches, you can still probably do it by drilling holes and wiring manually.

Offline luns

« Reply #125 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 17:47:25 »
I did a fair bit of digging into this topic a while ago, but I'm already starting to forget some of my findings. While this thread has wandered in focus a bit, it's probably still the best place for me to note my findings before I forget them further.

First, the switch designations of D2F and D2FC, while they seem similar enough think of as being flavours of the same thing, probably warrants a stronger distinction. Yes, D2F is made in Japan, and D2FC is made in China, but there's more to it than that. The D2F switches are general purpose switches, not targetting specific applications, but are spec'd to try to cover as many different common usages as possible.

The D2FC switches on the other hand, seem to be aimed quite specifically for usage as mouse buttons. There's a presentation for the D2FC-F-K(50M) that specifically introduces it as a Gaming Switch for mouse application. One of the slides points out its footprint is the same as prior D2FC switches, indicating they directly replace earlier D2FC switches that are intended for the same applications (mouses) too.

Regarding switch force, the D2F switches are 150g and 75g for the default and -(01)F variant respectively, with of course some tolerance on these values. Again, being aimed at general purpose usage, these forces are just chosen to cover a wide range of applications. The D2FC switches on the other hand, being specifically for mouses, are tailored to 60g. The have a tolerance of +-15g, so the maximum of this range is 75g, which happens to be the typical force for D2F-(01)F switches. This same number showing up for both switches does not mean they have the same force spec - one is typical, the other maximum. The D2FC is definitely supposed to be lighter than the D2F.

Another distinction is that the D2F is a proper SPDT (3 terminal) switch, whereas the D2FC is only meant to be used as an SPST (2 terminal) switch. The third pin on the D2FC is actually labelled as being a dummy terminal in its mechanical diagrams with the note that it should not be connected to any circuit. The D2F has a contact pad on the NC branch, and has a two-sided contact rivet on the common leaf. The D2FC on the other hand only has a one-sided contact on its common leaf, and the dummy terminal does not have a proper contact pad on it - it's only intended as a mechanical stop and not as an electrical terminal.

This difference may eventually be an issue for me, but we'll see. I modified my mouse with a debounce circuit that puts 0V and 5V on the NO and NC contacts. So far, it's worked great, but if the dummy terminal starts to fail in its NC duty, I'll have unreliable button releases. My switches are already worn to where the NO contact was giving me trouble before I added the debounce circuit, so I'm already beyond my switches' normal lifetime; we'll see how much farther beyond that I can get.

The last difference borne by the datasheets is of the contact ratings. The D2F switches are available with different types of contacts, with the default being 125VAC, 3A (or 1A for -F) silver alloy, and the -01 and -01F switches being Gold alloy rated at 30V, 0.1A. There's also the D2F-5 which is a silver alloy option for 250VAC. The different materials are in the contacts, not the spring as described in other posts.

The Gold alloy is more appropriate for use in mouses, but the D2F-01(F) still isn't ideal. The 0.1A is a maximum load rating, but there is also a corresponding minimum load rating of 1% of that or 1mA. That is to say, if you're using the switch for less than 1mA, the contacts will not necessarily perform reliably to the 2 million cycle spec of the switch. The switches rely on having a certain amount of wetting current to clean the contacts as they open and close, and contact resistance can rise over time if this doesn't happen.

Mouse switches typically would be switching much smaller currents than this, and are thus outside what's recommended for D2F contacts. The D2FC contacts on the other hand are rated for 1mA, and presumably have a much smaller minimum current requirement (I would guess 10uA) that a normal input pull-up should provide.

It's arguable how big a deal the minimum current rating is: without the adequate cleaning current, the switch contact resistance will increase, but with such small currents at play, a mouse can also tolerate much more contact resistance than more typical switching applications. The D2F switches are rated for 2M operations, but this tolerance probably allows them to work to many more cycles as a mouse button than that, whereas D2FC (10M, 20M, 50M) ratings probably account for this already, being their intended application. It's possible even that the contacts are actually the same (aside from the absent NC side), and their different ratings are just a matter of having different definitions for the differing applications.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 20:21:24 »
I did a fair bit of digging into this topic a while ago,

I'll certainly add some of this, great stuff, and hard to come by as you probably found.

I purposely left off some of your details because for our use it's pretty irrelevant, but when I do update the first post I'll put a link to this post for those who want to read more on it they can.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Primuds

« Reply #128 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 08:34:53 »
Anybody know where I can get those ttf switches leslieann mentioned. Really interested in getting some quieter switches.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 09:17:06 »
Anybody know where I can get those ttf switches leslieann mentioned. Really interested in getting some quieter switches.

d2f 01f is also more quiet than the vanilla d2fc. it's a duller thud sounding click vs the thin twig snap on d2fc

Offline pedrohsk1

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 14:36:54 »
my post is delet wtf -.-

Offline klimachef

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 18 October 2019, 19:43:12 »
I'm trying to replace the tactile switches for my G600's middle mouse click. How do I find out which ones I need to order?

Also, if you guys have any recommendations for tactile switches please let me know.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 12:04:54 »
I'm trying to replace the tactile switches for my G600's middle mouse click. How do I find out which ones I need to order?
Show Image

Also, if you guys have any recommendations for tactile switches please let me know.

Order both the Chinese ones the mouse uses by default, and some Japanese ones. Try the Japanese ones first and see if the reported extra height is an issue. If not, there you go, if yes, use the Chinese ones and be happy you Guinea pigged a fix for other users.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 12:10:42 »

TTC golds are available on NovelKeys

Is that what you mean

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 22:59:25 »
Just contributing another data point, I replaced the chinese switches in a G502 with some Japanese D2F-01F-T and they sound and feel great.

Both switches measured 6.50 mm on my calipers, so I'm not sure about the rumored height difference with the Japanese switches.

Offline jologskyblues

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 03:22:14 »
I was just wondering: are there any known fake or counterfeit d2f-01f switches being sold on eBay and Aliexpress? If so, is there any way to tell?

Offline Keebon

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 00:50:12 »
Hi, I have a few issue with my mouse button behavior after long hours of photo retouching work with my GPW. I switch my mouse after deathalddar x3 and bought GPW about six month ago. Usually, Razer survive for two years but now I have same symptoms after six month, unwilling double click and cannot hold button. I'm not sure but I guess this is caused by electrification? because the issue is gone when I leave the mouse for an half day or so.

Anyway, I'm about to replace my Ormon switch but this time I ordered Kailh GM 4.0 instead and my question is... Can I lube the micro switch or plastic parts with Krytox 205g to reduce static electricity? or completely Bad idea? or I should even stick with Omron D2FC? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

« Last Edit: Thu, 02 April 2020, 00:55:45 by Keebon »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 04:57:42 »
I was just wondering: are there any known fake or counterfeit d2f-01f switches being sold on eBay and Aliexpress? If so, is there any way to tell?
Omron is quite invested in China and even has factories there, therefore anyone trying to make fakes would probably run into trouble, but anything's possible.

unwilling double click and cannot hold button. I'm not sure but I guess this is caused by electrification?
This is a classic sign of a tired leaf spring in the switch, not anything electrical.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Keebon

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 05:12:26 »
Thank you for the input.
I understand I should go with Omron.

How about lubing? Do you think it will give little longer life of the contact or a leaf?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 09:15:54 »
Thank you for the input.
I understand I should go with Omron.

How about lubing? Do you think it will give little longer life of the contact or a leaf?

If you can open the housing without breaking it , it's possible,

HOWEVER, they're not designed to be opened, so even if it looks ok from the outside, getting into it will reduce the integrity and mechanical tolerance of the switch.

It's better to just put in new ones.

The most important thing in mouse modding / repair is to use a Temperature controlled soldering iron.

These components are not designed to be heated past 1-3 seconds. because the heat melts the the plastic shell.

The traces on mice pcbs are also very thin and covered with very little lacquer.

For completeness , I recommend a temperature controlled iron and a solder sucker.

Offline Keebon

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 13:51:05 »
hmm, okay... I just don't want to see this symptoms will come back in six month so I guess I will try that anyway. I will report back.

I have temp control soldering iron and use to fix a leaf inside case several times so I think I'm will be okay. I just don't know how lube will affect micro switches. Only time will tell I guess..

Thank you very much for your suggestion though.

Offline nevin

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 14:07:18 »
there is very little contact between moving parts in these switches compared to normal keyboard switches. the majority of the movement is by the leaf.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Keebon

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 15:14:44 »
Yes, leaf itself is a tiny but I see not too small compare to keyboard leafs.

By the way, here is Omron and Kailh GM 4.0 side by side.

239198-0

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 20:27:17 »
I doubt it will accomplish anything.
They are pre-lubed, opening risks destroying them (done this a few times) and in my experience, the leaf is the weakest link and lube will not change that.

There are some things you can do to make the switches last longer, the most important of which is be gentle. Don't mash the buttons or hold them down under lots of force, and even more important, try not to slap/smack them, something many people do. They are designed for zero resting load and only a pound or so peak load, that is very easy to exceed, anything more shortens the lifespan.

There are also mice (mostly from Asus) that feature easy to replace switches and some mice are MUCH easier or more difficult to replace switches on. The Logitech G700 is one of the WORST I have ever tried to do (serious pain in the neck!) while the G900/903 is easy to just as easy as Asus if you buy the right replacement since they use a tiny board that plugs in (you can buy the switch.board combo or just the switch). The downside to the 900.903 compared to Asus is despite easy to swap the switches, Logitech still insisted on putting the screws under the feet. So close, yet so far.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Keebon

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 22:10:40 »
Okay, I probably click 300+ per image for dust removing and other photo retouching work so I do not mash but clicked very fast. Faster I go, mouse start not working sooner so I still think it's static electricity from switch or the mouse sole. I can try swap the PTFE sole.

One thing I didn't know was the you said Omron factory lubed their switches like their keyboard switch. It seems and feels to me those metal leaves are very dry. I'm not sure but may be you are right I should not open a micro switch but I can try some contact cleaner.

I found a video explain why Omron switches are not last long compare to old days so I guess as nature, it will only good for six months. I don't want to change my switches every six month so I will search more options for me...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 01:41:29 »
Interesting video.*
He raises good points, combined with the leaf failing (I've been killing switches long before voltages fell), it's just asking for problems. I pretty much just assume the switch will last 12-14 months, been that way for years for me. Some last 18, some last 8, but the average is 12-14 months. I keep a decent spare on hand at all times.

As for lube, the majority of the leaf doesn't contact anything, therefore it doesn't need lube. Also, if you lube the wrong place you will lose that crispy snap.

*Now I'm kind of curious about open source mice, with the proliferation of 3d printers, it's more practical than ever.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 11:19:48 »
Interesting video.*
He raises good points, combined with the leaf failing (I've been killing switches long before voltages fell), it's just asking for problems. I pretty much just assume the switch will last 12-14 months, been that way for years for me. Some last 18, some last 8, but the average is 12-14 months. I keep a decent spare on hand at all times.

As for lube, the majority of the leaf doesn't contact anything, therefore it doesn't need lube. Also, if you lube the wrong place you will lose that crispy snap.

*Now I'm kind of curious about open source mice, with the proliferation of 3d printers, it's more practical than ever.

How much g4m1n' is LLann doin' per day ?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 22:17:22 »
Depends on the time of year and games available. The last week, about an hour and a half per day.

Keep in mind, I also do CAD which can be every bit just as brutal on mice.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline sdmf74

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 19:50:12 »
Happy to see this thread is somewhat alive. My Razer Basilisk is starting to double click & drop files while dragging etc.
Does anybody know what switches are inside this mouse? It's my only mouse right now so I dont wanna have to open it up multiple times.

I'm getting ready to buy some switches on digi-key but have no knowledge about switch types. I do have a hakko soldering iron & a soldering station, solder sucker etc.

I think I'm gonna get 2 or 4 each of these just in case:
D2F
D2F-01
D2F-01F
One of the above switches should work as a replacement right???
I'm thinking better to stay away from chinese switches and wanting to try the 150g vs 75g
IE the D2F & D2F-01
Also hoping they have gold plated springs, am I on the right track?

Offline nevin

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 20:12:55 »
some notes/images over at overclock
- has razer omron switches - from what i can tell looks like just the green bit & leaf spring are different than standard.
- do some more digging on disassembly, the link on overclock was having issues.

but yes, everything else is pretty straight forward.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68