Author Topic: [WTB] Realforce or Other Topre Keyboard [BOUGHT]  (Read 6355 times)

Offline dragonxx21

• Trade Count: (0)
[WTB] Realforce or Other Topre Keyboard [BOUGHT]
« on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 02:39:08 »
The end is near...

Well, I think it's time I bite the bullet and try a topre, if not just to finally settle whether or not I will like it. I'll say it up front, my budget is limited and I'm really wary of spending a large sum of money on something I may not like. I'm taking a chance here, and I realize that I most likely won't get an offer, but I'm willing to take a shot. I'm looking for a kind soul who would be willing to sell me a topre on the cheap. I'd preferably like to get something that isn't a typeheaven, as I've heard that might make me hate topre more than I'd like it. I'm looking to buy one for around $170, but may be able to go higher if I budget here and there. If you'd like to help convert me to topre and would be willing to sell me your topre for a cheap price, then please reply here or pass me a pm. If I end up buying a topre from someone cheap and do not end up liking it, I would gladly let go of it for the price I paid, without asking a penny more.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2013, 17:09:39 by dragonxx21 »
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Re: Help Convert Me To Topre. A WTB Thread.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 02:39:43 »
There is a tenkeyless realforce on ebay for $150

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 02:41:38 »
Why not ask someone near by to let you tested first. You may buy it a meal or coffee, but you will save some $$
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 02:41:46 »
The beginning to enlightenment is near...

ftfy, and GLWF!

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 02:42:41 »
I actually have that one watch listed, but so do 18 other people. I'm going to try to bid on it near the end of the auction but I honestly don't believe it'll finish anywhere near the price I'm willing to pay.

Why not ask someone near by to let you tested first. You may buy it a meal or coffee, but you will save some $$

Topre is not common in my area. Even MX boards are not common in my area. The only people I know of who even have mechanical keyboards have ducky shines and BW Ultimates.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 02:43:37 »
I actually have that one watch listed, but so do 18 other people. I'm going to try to bid on it near the end of the auction but I honestly don't believe it'll finish anywhere near the price I'm willing to pay.

yeah i was just looking at it and thought of just doing buy it now haha  :p

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 02:45:43 »
One of us! one of us!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 02:46:56 »
One of us! one of us!
I feel like I'm joining a cult... Do you guys worship the topre god or something?
Keyboards Owned:

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 03:05:10 »
Why not buying a new Topre Type Heaven for only 150 http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,1&pid=za0100

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 03:06:16 »
Why not buying a new Topre Type Heaven for only 150 http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,1&pid=za0100
I've thought about it and asked around about it and heard from a few people that in the end, the Type Heaven isn't really that great and it might make me end up not liking topre.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 03:11:16 »
If you want the best you have to pay for it, that is the sad reality. You wont find a topre for the price of a Poker board. I guess it will be very helpful for you to set your target price, other wise people will continue throwing ideas and prices. A fix target will really help you

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 03:13:10 »
If you want the best you have to pay for it, that is the sad reality. You wont find a topre for the price of a Poker board. I guess it will be very helpful for you to set your target price, other wise people will continue throwing ideas and prices. A fix target will really help you
Yeah, sorry, I'll go ahead and do that now.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 04:37:03 »
Don't rush in and do it cheap, wait a little longer and do it right, sell something or save a bit longer till you have 100 bucks more, buy yourself a hhkb, if u don't like it, they resell instantly, if you do like it you will appreciate it all the more
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 04:39:17 »
FWIW my HHKB was $180 plus postage.

Although it is rare to find them for that price, they do turn up from time to time.

This is only slightly above your budget, although you may need to factor postage in.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 04:43:36 »
FWIW my HHKB was $180 plus postage.

Although it is rare to find them for that price, they do turn up from time to time.

This is only slightly above your budget, although you may need to factor postage in.
If I could get an HHKB for that price I would. I was thinking $150 not including shipping. I'd preferably like to get at least a realforce.. But at the amount I'm willing to spend, that probably seems like a dream.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline n0husty

• The poon slayer
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 08:38:58 »
Lucky for me I just bought myself a Topre Type Heaven off ebay last night for $100.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 09:10:42 »
Lucky for me I just bought myself a Topre Type Heaven off ebay last night for $100.

please please dont judge how you feel about topre based on your experience with that board

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 09:18:46 »

please please dont judge how you feel about topre based on your experience with that board

Not a fan?

Offline n0husty

• The poon slayer
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 09:21:16 »

Why what's so bad about the board?

Offline Sniping

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 09:22:22 »

Not a fan?

My understanding is that the Type Heaven doesn't sound as good as other Topre keyboards and doesn't have one of the great 60% Topre layouts.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 09:26:08 »
hey its all a personal preference thing at the end of the day, my opinion was just that topre feels like quality, and the type heaven feels economy to me, just a feel thing, if that was my first experience with topre i wouldnt have cared to look further, i wasnt trying to be a ****, just saying that if that board isnt for him, dont give up on topre, it has way way way more to offer than that

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 09:30:57 »
hey its all a personal preference thing at the end of the day, my opinion was just that topre feels like quality, and the type heaven feels economy to me, just a feel thing, if that was my first experience with topre i wouldnt have cared to look further, i wasnt trying to be a ****, just saying that if that board isnt for him, dont give up on topre, it has way way way more to offer than that

As someone who hasn't really tried Topre, this is very helpful. Since I'm a 60% kinda guy, I'm hoping to get a an HHKB someday, but knowing how Topre can feel different on different boards is very helpful. Thank you.

Offline n0husty

• The poon slayer
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 09:38:56 »

Thanks for that, I will make sure I wont short change Topre just based on this board. And no i didn't think your first comment was malicious in anyway.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 09:51:29 »

As someone who hasn't really tried Topre, this is very helpful. Since I'm a 60% kinda guy, I'm hoping to get a an HHKB someday, but knowing how Topre can feel different on different boards is very helpful. Thank you.

the hhkb is god sir, although i use a type s, i wouldnt say its worth the extra money over the pro, if there was 20 dollars in it id say get the type s but the price is very inflated for the difference, but as an only 60% user myself, and as someone who has lots of the same boards you do, i was instantly sold once i got my first hhkb

Thanks for that, I will make sure I wont short change Topre just based on this board. And no i didn't think your first comment was malicious in anyway.

i read my comment back after i saw some replies, and it sounded a little bit snidey, i typed it fast i didnt elaborate enough,glad you didnt take it horribly but it still didnt come out as i wanted it to sound
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 November 2013, 09:54:15 by BunnyLake »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 10:43:26 »
FWIF the type heaven isn't awful but its definitely not a HHKB or realforce

I would like to see a type heaven with 55g and pbt caps :

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 10:51:55 »
If you can increase your budget $20 or $30 you could easily find a used Leopold FC660C. It's no HHKB, but it's where I started with Topre and I still think it's a great board.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 10:55:15 »
^^I've seen a few FC660C sell for $150 or less. Didn't think about it, it is a very nice board also.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 11:57:29 »
^^I've seen a few FC660C sell for $150 or less. Didn't think about it, it is a very nice board also.

I bought mine for $170 shipping included.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 13:09:51 »
Still looking for a mythical topre. Seems like a few people got lucky buying theirs, but doesn't seem like I'll be one of the :P
Keyboards Owned:

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 13:33:04 »
Still looking for a mythical topre. Seems like a few people got lucky buying theirs, but doesn't seem like I'll be one of the :P

just takes lots of time sir if you want one at that sorta price, and being quick on them when they pop in the classifieds

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 13:36:21 »

just takes lots of time sir if you want one at that sorta price, and being quick on them when they pop in the classifieds

Yeah I'll be on a look out. I've been stalking ebay listings too, buy so have tons of other people. No luck thus far.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 20:35:24 »
Increased my budget to $170 since I managed to sell some stuff and am just waiting for the money to transfer to my bank account c:
Keyboards Owned:

Offline n0husty

• The poon slayer
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 21:59:50 »
Increased my budget to $170 since I managed to sell some stuff and am just waiting for the money to transfer to my bank account c:

Get yourself a Leopold FC660C!

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 04:05:13 »

Get yourself a Leopold FC660C!
I might just do that.. Nonetheless. The search continues.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline Netbootz

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 13:44:16 »
One of us! one of us!
I feel like I'm joining a cult... Do you guys worship the topre god or something?

practically! ha 

You know when musicians argue about digital VS analog - well Topre is the analog of keyboards. In my opinion.  It's a quiet, low rumble with the spacebar punctuating with e "thock" sound.  The feeling is clean, very clean.

Those 2 combined are a very good combination for some people. The problem is the cost!

For typing it is great. Don't know about gaming.  I think it would be a waste of money for gaming.

« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2013, 13:46:52 by Netbootz »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 13:49:56 »
One of us! one of us!

practically! ha 

You know when musicians argue about digital VS analog - well Topre is the analog of keyboards. In my opinion.  It's a quiet, low rumble with the spacebar punctuating with e "thock" sound.  The feeling is clean, very clean.

Those 2 combined are a very good combination for some people. The problem is the cost!

For typing it is great. Don't know about gaming.  I think it would be a waste of money for gaming.

they really arent that expensive, i have like 20 mc boards sat by me and only one of them i got cheaper than my type s, and my type s is basically all i use, with mx, i am constantly spening money question over the perfect board, with topre, you spend money once, and your goal is achieved

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
Re: [WTB] Realforce or Other Topre Keyboard
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 14:08:26 »
One of us! one of us!

practically! ha 

they really arent that expensive, i have like 20 mc boards sat by me and only one of them i got cheaper than my type s, and my type s is basically all i use, with mx, i am constantly spening money question over the perfect board, with topre, you spend money once, and your goal is achieved

^ +1.  This man speaks the truth.  Topre is the better way to go.  At this point I think I'm ready to sell off all of my MX stuff. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Netbootz

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 15:07:07 »
One of us! one of us!

practically! ha 

^ +1.  This man speaks the truth.  Topre is the better way to go.  At this point I think I'm ready to sell off all of my MX stuff.

I see what you are saying and I completely agree - It could have taken a lot more time and money to get to Topre, because for me there is nothing better.

However, you have to admit it is a hard self-sell to spend 25x's the amount that a free or $12 keyboard will accomplish. Especially where opinions on the best feel and sound differ and the only way to know is to try it yourself.  There's no showroom either.  Thanks to Geekhackers (and youtube) for being the "mental showroom". You all saved me a lot of time and trouble.

Generally speaking purchases have a "triangle" relationship:

Function (quality, longevity, performance, specs, features)
Experience (feel, sound, layout ease of use)
Cost (initial, resale)

Topre tops function and experience (imo). The price is high though (in comparison).  The good news is Topres hold value very well (90-100%). Better than anything I've ever owned. So the cost drawback is mitigated if you need to get out of it fast in a crunch.  Parting with one I would only do to get into another Topre. I will always have at least 1, maybe 1 for each computer I frequent.

I'm guessing but the Leopold FC660C is beloved for the price vs value ratio.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 15:32:17 »
A ton of pending MtG sales, so hopefully my budget will be increasing sometime in the next few weeks.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline Netbootz

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 15:51:49 »
A ton of pending MtG sales, so hopefully my budget will be increasing sometime in the next few weeks.

Ah good.  If so I would get a RF or HHKB Pro 2 - just so you'll never wonder. haha I have yet to try the HHKB so after that I'll be able to rest.  So I guess it's not a Topre cult, but more of a Topre curse!

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 16:01:29 »

Ah good.  If so I would get a RF or HHKB Pro 2 - just so you'll never wonder. haha I have yet to try the HHKB so after that I'll be able to rest.  So I guess it's not a Topre cult, but more of a Topre curse!
Yeah I might just save and save.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 16:05:28 »
I can sell you mine cheap, but there a few things you may not like about it....variable weight and JIS layout. If that doesn't bother you, we can discuss it in PMs! Oh and it's a TKL, and has goldish lasered caps or aftermarket yellow/green ones.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 16:19:37 »
I can sell you mine cheap, but there a few things you may not like about it....variable weight and JIS layout. If that doesn't bother you, we can discuss it in PMs! Oh and it's a TKL, and has goldish lasered caps or aftermarket yellow/green ones.
YGPM
Keyboards Owned:

Offline dragonxx21

Re: [WTB] Realforce or Other Topre Keyboard [BOUGHT]
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 17:10:02 »
Thank you so much to Halverson for giving me a sick deal on a JIS Realforce!
Keyboards Owned:

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: [WTB] Realforce or Other Topre Keyboard [BOUGHT]
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 17:11:48 »
Thank you so much to Halverson for giving me a sick deal on a JIS Realforce!

:D Canadian fist bump!