Author Topic: So my mom's caregiver's grandkid broke my Drevo's cherry stabilizer...  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
Title is almost entirely self explanatory. The young girl was recently in a bad situation, so we told her grandmother to go ahead and bring her if she needs to. Well, the kid spilled a few drops of Arizona sweet tea on the keyboard (which thankfully did NOT get into the switches, wiring or anything else electrical) and gunked up a couple of the keycaps. This caused one of the Backspace key's cherry stabilizers' stems to get almost permanently stuck to the keycap (we did not immediately notice she had done so until a few hours later when the water part of the tea was almost completely vaporized) and when I removed the cap to clean it, the stem ripped off the stabilizer and out of the socket. The key still works, but is somewhat less responsive (due to the key not rising as quickly, it takes a fraction of a second longer to press it a second time) and it now feels like mush. I've tested the switch, and it's fine, but the remaining stem is also damaged.

Basically I have two questions: since the Gramr is a 75%, I can't be sure if the backspace key has a unique stabilizer size or not. What size is it (ie 2.5, 6.5, although obviously not the latter)? Also, will I need to finally invest in a new tip for my old soldering iron (my cousins stole the old one about 15 years ago, when they were still kids), or does the Gramr even require desoldering the switch to remove the old stabilizer?
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
Re: So my mom's caregiver's grandkid broke my Drevo's cherry stabilizer...
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 11:40:49 »
I don't have enough familiarity with the Gramr itself, but it is most definitely standard 2u sized stabilizer for backspace. Question is if you have plate mount or pcb mount stabilizers. If you look at the stabilizer housings, do you see a plastic latch/clip to release the stabilizer housing (plate mount, no desolder), or does it poke through the plate only (PCB mounted, have to desolder)?
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 11:46:37 »
Seven grand-dad?!

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 19:33:29 »

Yeah, found a page on reddit that says I'll need to desolder it. I can't really afford to spend extra on a new soldering iron tip right now, so looks like I'm gonna have to deal with mushy, wobbly key. Although after I reset the key last night, it's not as bad as it was, so that's good at least. Still, at least I know what stabilizer I'll need when I'm able to replace it!

Seven grand-dad?!
Huh?
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 August 2018, 19:35:59 by Carcharocles »
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480