Author Topic: JIS Modifiers (KANA, ROYA, LOYA) : scancodes and behavior  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Nlight

JIS Modifiers (KANA, ROYA, LOYA) : scancodes and behavior
« on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 07:47:46 »
Hi,

For my project of a 22 keys board, that I intend to use with a french (custom) layout in the os, I came to the conclusion that the firmware should be as neutral as possible with layers only for the non remapable keys such as arrows, home, etc... which (os side) are universal to all language an layouts.

However, for my keyboard to work as I intend in my os, I will need to add some remaps that take advantage of modifiers with a temporary press behavior (like AltGr, Ctrl, Alt, Shift). However, the problem that I encountered with this in my regular keyboards throughout the years was that, despite using only AltGr to map symbols and punctuations in sensible places, sometimes there are applications that actually uses some of my key combinations, which leads to some... cursing.

Only few days ago I dug deeper into the KbEdit software (yeah i'm on windows) to find additional unused modifiers, KANA (which can have two behaviors regarding the virtual keycode this is assigned to, a toggle, or a temp press), ROYA, and LOYA. These are just perfect.

Now, on my custom board, I can give some function like RCTRL, APPS, RWIN to thumb cluster keys (these are not how it is named for the firmware, but you get the idea), and then replace them with kbedit. Ok, this is doable no problem, but if there is a way to directly include the keys at a firmware level, I would love to know how...

So, how would you implement these three keys (KANA, ROYA, LOYA) in the firmware with qmk ? and with tmk ?