Author Topic: Plate layout that supports 1+2 or 1+1+1 or 1.5+1.5  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Martinsos

• Blog
Plate layout that supports 1+2 or 1+1+1 or 1.5+1.5
« on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 14:36:15 »
Hi all,
I am building my first mechanical keyboard and am just about to get my plate cut.
Extra information: I will be using Alps switches, therefore plate mounted (steel plate, 1.2mm), there is no PCB, I am doing hand wiring, and the buttons in question will all be hit with thumbs.

There is, however, one part of the plate where I am not sure if I want to go with three 1u keys, one 1u and one 2u keys, or two 1.5u keys, as shown on the image below (I put it all together but each row is one possible configuration).

swillkb comes up with according layout:

I don't think I will know which one works for me until I have tried typing for real so I would love to test all three configurations, however I would prefer not ordering three different plates just to figure out only one works for me.
Therefore, I was hoping I could come up with a plate layout that would allow some experimenting here and allow me to switch between those configurations, if not between all three, then at least between two.

Only solution I could think of is to cut one long hole for all three switches and then place switches in there differently for different combinations. However, for that I need them to be stable enough with just two sides holding them + I need to be very precise when putting them in in order to have correct spacing between them, and I don't know if that is feasible. I was also thinking about having small piece of metal that I would use as spacer between the switches, but that sounds flimsy and I am not sure how I could screw such piece of metal in, the screws would probably be in the way of the keycaps or switches hm.

Am I missing something here? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

« Last Edit: Sat, 12 January 2019, 14:46:40 by Martinsos »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
Re: Plate layout that supports 1+2 or 1+1+1 or 1.5+1.5
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 15:10:21 »
Sadly there is no way to test all three options on a single plate, or even two of them, due to the way alps clip on the side rather than top and bottom like cherry MX(which allows them to support many layouts at once).

Offline Martinsos

• Blog
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 15:28:25 »
Sadly there is no way to test all three options on a single plate, or even two of them, due to the way alps clip on the side rather than top and bottom like cherry MX(which allows them to support many layouts at once).

Thanks, I can't believe I missed that! Ok hm hm. So what if I would be sneaky and rotate them for 90 degrees? I am planning to use blank DSA keycaps anyway, and they are all the same however you rotate them if I am correct.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 15:43:56 »

Thanks, I can't believe I missed that! Ok hm hm. So what if I would be sneaky and rotate them for 90 degrees? I am planning to use blank DSA keycaps anyway, and they are all the same however you rotate them if I am correct.

That wont work for the 2U though so you may still have an issue, never tried that before. And switches will clip, but they will slide side to side in a handwire build, so you may need to hot glue or something to stop that.

Offline Martinsos

• Blog
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 16:38:53 »

That wont work for the 2U though so you may still have an issue, never tried that before. And switches will clip, but they will slide side to side in a handwire build, so you may need to hot glue or something to stop that.

Yes of course, I am being silly! Yes, that is not going to work, I forgot about keycaps that are not 1 space, although the whole post is about that :D. Thanks for help.