Author Topic: Are those switches dampened white alps?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Latakerni

Are those switches dampened white alps?
« on: Mon, 17 July 2023, 12:02:14 »
Are those genuine alps? They're in a Apple Extended Keyboard II, 1995 Ireland.
I am not sure if it's ivory or white (I just know that they'll need a good clean and lubing). They look white-ish, or at least what I think white should look like after nearly 30 years, but they seem to have tiny slits, smaller than the deskthority pictures
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCM_Cream_Damped vs https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKBL/SKBM_series, and alps logo is barely visible, without raised edges
300620-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Are those switches dampened white alps?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 July 2023, 12:38:13 »
Those are white. Probably most if not all that are as late as 1995 are white.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 July 2023, 12:54:16 »
Yes, Damped White Alps have no slits.
https://deskthority.net/wiki/File:Alps_SKCM_--_damped_comparison,_1.jpg

I think the brown spots could be mostly rust.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 July 2023, 12:56:40 by Findecanor »

Offline Latakerni

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 July 2023, 13:41:47 »
Those are white. Probably most if not all that are as late as 1995 are white.

Thank you! Are those worth anything? I don't plan on selling them, just curious as I tried my luck with a promising looking keyboard

Offline LavenderB

• I believe in unix control supremacy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 July 2023, 05:24:14 »
Thank you! Are those worth anything? I don't plan on selling them, just curious as I tried my luck with a promising looking keyboard
Since these could still feel good after a proper restoration and possibly some modding, they could be of interest to someone who doesn't want to buy more desirable alps switches at their current high prices.
Safa | 1993 UK ISO-DE Model M  | Frog TKL | 3d printed bakeneko | Akko 5075s

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 July 2023, 17:44:01 »

yeah white alps along with black alps are probably the cheapest alps. They are cheaper because most people want to get blue alps after one European saying they are the best (or at least his favourite switch)

I've never used alps but the common consensus is that blue alps are a more refined version of white alps, but white alps are still better than most mx style clickies but dirty alps are really bad to type on.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 July 2023, 18:46:24 »
I've never used alps but the common consensus is that blue alps are a more refined version of white alps, but white alps are still better than most mx style clickies but dirty alps are really bad to type on.
You're confusing the two types of white Alps. These are called "White Damped Alps". They are tactile but not clicky, and they are sound-damped: both on bottoming out and topping up.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 July 2023, 20:25:28 »
You're confusing the two types of white Alps. These are called "White Damped Alps". They are tactile but not clicky, and they are sound-damped: both on bottoming out and topping up.

Oh yeah didn't see that my bad, I just saw the alps and thought they were traditional whites. Dampened alps are also really cheap as well from looking, and you find a lot of them from my experience especially compared to the original, I think that's because a lot of the computers that these boards came with were more budget oriented and for families so I think they are more common but not 100%. Plus the AEK 1 is more desirable because it has orange/salmon alps which people want)

Probably gotta pay attention more because If I'd read the post completely I would have seen that it was an AEK II and knew it was dampened alps (and also the link as well lol) , because I was looking to getting an AEK I before, but stopped because shipping boards here is extremely costly (it's like half sometimes the full price of the board so I gave up)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 July 2023, 21:54:21 »

I was looking to getting an AEK I

That is a very good keyboard and deserves a place in a collection, if you want to fill the slot for tactile Alps. Personally I think they are not very appealing lookers, especially since they are almost always badly yellowed, but they are very well made and both switches and key caps are excellent.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"