Author Topic: Do you like Red switch for just "typing"? Why?  (Read 129580 times)

Offline Kapitalist

Re: Do you like Red switch for just "typing"? Why?
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 23:54:56 »
I don't have much to add to the discussion aside from my own opinion. I was using a Topre RealForce for years and never thought I would buy or use another keyboard. Started getting into looking at different keycaps and artisans and bought some Miami double shots on mass drop on a whim. I thought it would be a waste but decided to build an MX board for the heck of it and got a cheap MX Red board off Amazon. Got some cheap o-rings and now... I love this damn thing. Reds are great for typing, I never game and just use mine for work and I love the feel, especially with the dampening rings on them. Try em out!

That aside I'm curious to trying some other light linear switches to compare. Hate clicks or tactile switches personally, clicky is too damn loud and tactile just feels gritty and awful to me. What's better than Cherry Reds aside from Topre?

Go for silent reds or maybe zilents. You'll get more key travel than a MX red with an o-ring mod.

Just ordered a 40% with silent red Gaterons. Always assumed Gaterons were inferior to Cherry because they were cheaper but I've heard good things to contrary so looking forward to trying these out!

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 11:27:56 »
I don't have much to add to the discussion aside from my own opinion. I was using a Topre RealForce for years and never thought I would buy or use another keyboard. Started getting into looking at different keycaps and artisans and bought some Miami double shots on mass drop on a whim. I thought it would be a waste but decided to build an MX board for the heck of it and got a cheap MX Red board off Amazon. Got some cheap o-rings and now... I love this damn thing. Reds are great for typing, I never game and just use mine for work and I love the feel, especially with the dampening rings on them. Try em out!

That aside I'm curious to trying some other light linear switches to compare. Hate clicks or tactile switches personally, clicky is too damn loud and tactile just feels gritty and awful to me. What's better than Cherry Reds aside from Topre?

Go for silent reds or maybe zilents. You'll get more key travel than a MX red with an o-ring mod.

Just ordered a 40% with silent red Gaterons. Always assumed Gaterons were inferior to Cherry because they were cheaper but I've heard good things to contrary so looking forward to trying these out!

At this point I think the general consensus re. MX switches is that:
- Linear: Gateron > Cherry.
- Clicky: Kailh Box > Cherry.
- Tactile: Zealio > Cherry, depending on where you stand re. graininess and wobbleness.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 April 2018, 11:30:44 by nguyenhimself »

Offline killyou

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 15:03:56 »

At this point I think the general consensus re. MX switches is that:
- Linear: Gateron > Cherry.
- Clicky: Kailh Box > Cherry.
- Tactile: Zealio > Cherry, depending on where you stand re. graininess and wobbleness.
- Silent linears : Cherry > Gateron

Offline onlyabyte

• tekbyte
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 01:01:01 »
Not red switch but I love linears. I have Kailh Yellows which are about the same weight as the reds and I love it. All I do is type and it's perfect. The whole thing about MX Reds or any linear being for gaming is just marketing. The best switch for you is the one you are most happy with. Keyboards are one of those things that are a matter of preference - there is no right or wrong answer.  :thumb:
Akko 3087 SA Retro (45g Pink Linears) || Tecware Phantom Cherry BoW (45g Red Linears)

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #154 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 01:16:53 »
The best switch for you is the one you are most happy with. Keyboards are one of those things that are a matter of preference - there is no right or wrong answer.  :thumb:

Truth right here

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014