Author Topic: Which Cherry keyboards to harvest DS caps from?  (Read 3804 times)

Offline clakdale661

Which Cherry keyboards to harvest DS caps from?
« on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 02:40:50 »
I often see members refer to buying old cherry keyboards for the sole purpse of getting keycaps from. I'm looking to get my first cherry thick doubleshot caps and I'm a bit overwhelmed at all the models cherry has. Can someone list a few models that has doubleshot caps I can harvest? Mainly white on black, but the beige set would be ok too.

For example, I'm looking at this MY7000 HPBUS. Can anyone tell me if this is ok for doubleshot caps? And what type of MX switch does it have? Any other models I should be looking for? I couldn't find a wiki or central thread to list these kinds of things. Thanks in advance.

Offline clakdale661

Re: Which Cherry keyboards to harvest DS caps from?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 02:55:05 »
Sorr for the spam, but what type of keycap and switch is this?

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=G811800LPAUS2

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 03:14:51 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 09:14:42 »
I bought from Ocean Tech.

The keys were good but worn strangely. For example, the Tab was as slick as glass while the "E" looked new - not a normal wear pattern, but maybe due to its use in a store.

If you want ANSI, make sure you are getting the right layout.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 09:24:37 »
Assuming you have a standard board like an 87 or 104, the quickest path to a 100% doubleshot set is G80-8113H**US and a G81-8000H**US. Just some example quickly, there may be better prices to be had if you look for more than 2 minutes.
Breakdown to why these are some of the best, 8113 is one of the few you can find easily than has a centered fulltouch caps lock and 1.25 modifiers, and 8000 has all the correct profile nav cluster and function row unlike the 8113 which uses relegendable E profile.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 April 2013, 09:30:19 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline clakdale661

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 00:10:58 »
Thanks for the link, IvanIvanovich. I'm not looking for the fastest complete set, I'm willing to mix and match. But I just need a pointer in the right directy of which models to search for. I guess I'll start compiling a list as people post models.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 08:09:13 »
Might as well go for one that has most of what you need from the start like an 8113 or 8200. It might be more than some other options but unless you have some good luck and patience you aren't likely to get it done cheaper.
Otherwise the most important thing to look for is that H as the first letter in the product code.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 08:10:49 »
Sorr for the spam, but what type of keycap and switch is this?

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=G811800LPAUS2
The switch in that keyboard is an MY switch, which not many think too fondly of, and I believe that Bro Caps is correct that it is indeed Lasered POM.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 19:21:40 »
I often see members refer to buying old cherry keyboards for the sole purpse of getting keycaps from. I'm looking to get my first cherry thick doubleshot caps and I'm a bit overwhelmed at all the models cherry has. Can someone list a few models that has doubleshot caps I can harvest? Mainly white on black, but the beige set would be ok too.

For example, I'm looking at this MY7000 HPBUS. Can anyone tell me if this is ok for doubleshot caps? And what type of MX switch does it have? Any other models I should be looking for? I couldn't find a wiki or central thread to list these kinds of things. Thanks in advance.
Here is my board with harvest of the 7000 DS keycaps from ebay, if the GMK purple modifiers goes trough I'll be ordering another one
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:12:15 »

Here is my board with harvest of the 7000 DS keycaps from ebay, if the GMK purple modifiers goes trough I'll be ordering another one
What did you have to get to make the keycaps usable?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:19:41 »
My Cherry GMK groupbuy has some pretty boss stuff to make sets compatible with just about anything.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:23:43 »
My Cherry GMK groupbuy has some pretty boss stuff to make sets compatible with just about anything.
I know :( GH makes me broke though...  Stupid GH60.  I am really considering tho Ivan...

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:43:02 »
Hehe. I know your feeling. I am in recovery... no new keyboards at all yet this month!

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 21:12:59 »

What did you have to get to make the keycaps usable?
nothing dude, 95% of the keycaps fit except for the capslock, space bar, right shift  and offcourse if you have full board you will need the big + key and the big 0 key from the tenkeypad. Also you will need moogle kit that makes the bottom modifiers + space bar compatible since the MY7000 wont fit + the page and the windows key are not double shots.

So to summon this up, this particular board is great to harvest caps for TKL board like the Quickfire. But since GMK who is the original maker of cherry DS caps is now making keycaps for todays new model keyboards in ANSI and ISO layout, that's great but group buys for moogle kits that will make your board 100% full when you harvest GMK keycaps from old cherry boards has died down. You do find people selling their moogle kits in the classifieds but very rare....

So what Ivanovich post about the purple modifiers is your best choice, jump on the vagon and help us make it happen, if it happens and we reach MOQ your set, you will just need to buy the MY7000 and combine it with the purple group buy set + don't forget the purple set is original thing no aka wanna be moogle or like I added the mix of moogle and RGBY double shots. And don't worry about the space bar, you can use the stock one since this is the retro style GB thingy and the space bar should be same color as your alpha keys.

Get on the GB that Ivan Ivanovich posted the link.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?