Author Topic: Redox manuform build - help  (Read 8720 times)

Offline AndyL

Redox manuform build - help
« on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 12:11:58 »
Hey all,

Probably shows the issue best... I have a challenge with keyboards. But the covid more frequent being home typing on a keyboard has that's 20+ yr old carpal tunnel issue coming back (mostly avoided by not being stuck at home keyboarding). Figure it's best to do something soon, rather than let it get bad again wait for surgery + recovery.

Printed off a stack of dactyl and other derivatives. Pretty much decided on the redox manuform. Printed off a couple dummy switches for fit test and about a dozen different keycaps.

Thinking the dcs fit right and feel ok, but I really don't like the look. Redox/dactyl layout seems to allow my middle finger catch all the left index as on a normal keyboard now. Although I think I'll need shorter GT keys.

Any thoughts on a keycap set? I'll probably just run them on the SLA printer, cost is a bit of an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Offline nevin

Re: Redox manuform build - help
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 12:32:28 »
blanks are probably the most popular for any ergo boards, with some layouts being very different than standard 104's key placement (moving punctuation, brackets, modifiers, etc...). you can find cheap blank sets all over the place

varying profile depending on row - OEM, DCS, SA, Cherry, MDA, KAT, etc...
uniform profile - DSA, XDA, etc...
another option is to do a single profile of a normally varied profile, like all SA row 3 or similar with another profile.

just about any profile should work. only issue i can think of was some of the SA profile keycaps, one row, because of the profile was pretty close to the next row and had a possibility of rubbing.

uniform profile is another option if you want legends on your keycaps, uniform profile is the easiest to get the legend to match the key without being out of profile. again, because the keymaps sometimes don't match what is readily available in standard 104/TKL sets.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline AndyL

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 14:47:40 »
uniform profile is another option if you want legends on your keycaps, uniform profile is the easiest to get the legend to match the key without being out of profile. again, because the keymaps sometimes don't match what is readily available in standard 104/TKL sets.

I think this is the direction I'm headed. Uniform maybe low profile. Going to see what exists out there already but so far not thrilled, may just end up rolling my own. Since I have the technology I can make it better  :))

Just realized lot of the manufacturers are laser etching - i wonder if my little neje 5w will etch a keycap... Bad testing is about to occur I believe.

Offline Runningtarrens

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 19:40:19 »
you can find some nice caps on thingyverse.  I made my own too because i wanted plain ones in transparent.
Also played around with filament swap. you could do something like pudding caps, so no need for etching.

also if you can life with less keys maybe the corne keyboard is something for you.
staggered rows and with a tenting kit pretty nice, not balls to the wall like the manufactum :p

Offline AndyL

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 21:08:21 »
you can find some nice caps on thingyverse.  I made my own too because i wanted plain ones in transparent.
Also played around with filament swap. you could do something like pudding caps, so no need for etching.

also if you can life with less keys maybe the corne keyboard is something for you.
staggered rows and with a tenting kit pretty nice, not balls to the wall like the manufactum :p

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1860828/

Working on a variation of the 3rd row from this set, I liked how it felt, and looks. The new emboss feature in fusion360 makes it easy to kick out a full set pretty quick. But laser would mean trays of 1, 1.25 and 1.5u's not having to keep track of each print. Of course now that I've thought of it the neje doesn't power up.

There was a voronoi keycap on Reddit today that did make me contemplate options for a bit :cool: I've never met a voronoi I haven't wanted to print after all  :rolleyes:

Offline AndyL

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 12:03:43 »
http://imgur.com/gallery/ywpDES6

Think I'm happy-ish with those. (I don't know why Imgur won't let me imbed them today...)

Now if amazon would follow through... Free one day shipping - it's been 3 days and they haven't even shipped yet.   :( For whatever reason kailh's on amazon were the least expensive option...
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 August 2020, 12:05:41 by AndyL »

Offline AndyL

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 12:46:39 »

New chicklet-ish keycaps tested. Still waiting on amazon for switches.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4569967 - uploaded here if anyone wants similar.

Trying to decide on a paint, that's supposed to be a satin black, sure came out glossy.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2020, 13:17:59 by AndyL »