Author Topic: Ducky PBT Key caps  (Read 2321 times)

Offline anselben

Ducky PBT Key caps
« on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 13:30:55 »
I recently got some Ducky PBT caps from mechanicalkeyboards.com, and I had a question. This is my first set up PBT caps, and while I notice the texture on the caps is a little different than the caps that originally came on my poker x, what is the main difference? Looking at the bottom of the key caps I notice that some of them are around the same thickness as my original ones. Then the F-key caps are a little bit thicker it seems. They do feel different, and I really like them and I'm just wondering is the texture basically the only difference between them and the ABS caps? Thanks

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Ducky PBT Key caps
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 16:23:08 »
ostensibly, the difference is just the keycap material: ABS and PBT are different plastics, but the difference goes a bit further than that.

Firstly, PBT is more porous, which may or may not impact the texture. Either way, it makes it possible for dying the keycaps. Also, PBT is harder and more brittle. It also has better corrosion resistance and will have a much longer life before getting shiny like ABS.

It's for these reasons that I really like PBT.

Offline anselben

Ducky PBT Key caps
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 17:22:50 »
Ah okay, thank you for explaining it. After reading about the PBT caps I was under the impression that they were much thicker plastic or something. And like I said, It's a noticeable difference to me I was curious to the full extent of the difference. Thanks :)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Ducky PBT Key caps
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 00:55:56 »
Well, some PBT keycaps are much thicker. See, for example, the thick PBT that Imsto is currently selling in the Group buys forum, or cherry (their PBT is supposed to be pretty thick). Also, ABS can be thick: See old WYSE keycaps or the ABS on my IBM selectric.

But in this case, PBT refers just to the type of plastic used. Lots of people prefer thick, though.