Author Topic: How do you print on blank keys?  (Read 5435 times)

Offline aptivaboy

How do you print on blank keys?
« on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 13:23:40 »
Probably a really dumb noobie question, but...

I keep seeing replacement blank keys and keycaps for many different types of keys. How does the final end user (you and me) get them printed with characters and the font of their choice? Can you print them at home in some way? I'm admittedly confused.

Thank you for any pointers.

Robert

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: How do you print on blank keys?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 13:25:33 »
Unless you own a machine that can, you can't. At least, not to the same standards as those from companies.
People buy blanks for aesthetic purposes or to place on a weird layout

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 13:27:18 »
Some people have used label printers to get custom legends onto blank keys but as romevi alluded to most people buying blanks memorize there layouts.

Offline aptivaboy

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 13:31:21 »
Interesting. I hadn't thought of that, thank you. Of course, then how do yo remember what the blank key was for? Sorry, that's my aging brain talking.  ;D

I was thinking of applying waterslide character decals perhaps (I come from a modeling background) that would then be heavily clearcoated over to shield the keys from use and abuse as a possible solution. Some of the Cherry rainbow key patterns and such are of interest, as well as making some custom Model Ms for a possible upcoming Unicomp PC-122 buy. 

Robert

Offline Malenky

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 15:44:33 »
if you want to use blank keycaps for aesthetic purposes, the assumption is that you are a touch typist and know what all the keys are without looking at the legend. For people that use unusual layouts, such as ergodox or  ortholinear layouts, a large part of transitioning to that is learning the keyboard properly, which blanks kind of force you to do. That, and for certain layouts the key profiles will not match up properly (trying swapping your number 1 and Z keys and see how awful it is).

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 23:57:32 »
I suppose one could set up a rig to keep the keys in place for some CNC action  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 00:37:38 »
You can also get relegendable keycaps, although they are mainly used if you want to change the legends, although they would suit this purpose too.

http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-relegendables-pack-of-10/
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-relegendables-pack-of-10/
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-relegendables-pack-of-10/
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ