Author Topic: blank rainbow keycap set  (Read 11691 times)

Offline mitt

blank rainbow keycap set
« on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 03:44:40 »
Hi guys.

So I've been hunting around for a key cap set that looks like this http://i.imgur.com/rvK0M.jpg that oneproduct sold a couple of years ago. Just want the 37 or 33 keys too. All I seem to find is the lighter coloured rainbow keycaps which I'm not a big fan of. Not sure how the darker colours would go with the backlight but I'd rather have nice vibrant colours.

Anybody know where I could get them?

Cheers

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
Re: blank rainbow keycap set
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 04:24:44 »
Pretty sure qtan and/or feng sells them in their stores. Banggood and TaoBao should have them too if I'm not mistaken, TaoBao for sure at least.
;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 05:41:43 »
I don't know if they have exact colours, but you might be able to make up something from WASD.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 05:56:31 »
I don't know if they have exact colours, but you might be able to make up something from WASD.

Getting a set from WASD is kind of a last resort thing, though.
;)

Offline mitt

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 07:38:57 »

lol why is it last resort? coz they're ABS caps?

Pretty sure qtan and/or feng sells them in their stores. Banggood and TaoBao should have them too if I'm not mistaken, TaoBao for sure at least.

I've checked both qtan and feng online and a few others also and they only have the light coloured ones which I want to avoid.(http://i41.tinypic.com/eqwh7a.jpg)

Should I just go ahead and ask them? How do you go about buying stuff off the taobao site? I don't read Chinese unfortunately.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 07:49:35 by mitt »

Offline Kfactork

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 12:59:22 »

lol why is it last resort? coz they're ABS caps?

Yes, and also because they are as thin as the default OEM ABS you get with the keyboard. Looks pretty, but is it worth the $?

I've checked both qtan and feng online and a few others also and they only have the light coloured ones which I want to avoid.(http://i41.tinypic.com/eqwh7a.jpg)

Should I just go ahead and ask them? How do you go about buying stuff off the taobao site? I don't read Chinese unfortunately.

If you can find them on the taobao site, I believe you can ask qtan (or feng? not sure) to proxy it for you.
Guide for taobao shopping:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/21ivum/guide_taobao_shopping_guide_for_keyboards_and/
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 14:46:38 by Kfactork »

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 13:46:15 »
Agreed with Kfactork, I ordered a blank set of keycaps from wasd that looked awful after about 2 months of use. I have two keyboards with PBTs that look practically new after over a year of use.
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 09:40:37 »
Has anyone found the dark rainbow set?

Offline seville57

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 11:15:53 »
Has anyone found the dark rainbow set?

Not blanks but, you can always look here: http://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEIQFjADahUKEwiuw7TH2KbIAhXk63IKHcggCCA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aliexpress.com%2Fw%2Fwholesale-rainbow-keycaps.html&usg=AFQjCNGEMSzJKBqvfiz-CJPnDpRsWw6u9Q

I have some rainbow sets from Ali but mine are top printed + one are front printed and don't buy skit(key)cools rainbow sets, they have terrible, ugly legends on the caps.

keycools terrible legends on one of their 108 keys rainbow set. The pink keycaps are from Duckys ABS ISO/Nordic set.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/keycool-rainbow-keycaps
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2015, 14:49:19 by seville57 »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 13:44:17 »
Thanks, I've seen those rainbows from Ali, but they look terrible in comparison to the op picture, which shows nice saturated colors. Agree that those legends look horrible.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 13:35:36 »
Hi, I'm oneproduct who originally had the set pictured in the OP. I actually bought one set of each individual color and then mixed them to create a few rainbow sets, just to let you know. Sadly that's a bit expensive!
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 14:16:17 »
Thank you, I've found something on taobao

Offline seville57

« Last Edit: Sun, 04 October 2015, 14:57:00 by seville57 »

Offline ithrowthinqs

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 22:36:23 »
You might be still able to join Feng's GB on the rainbow POM jelly keycaps. Don't know if he took down the google doc yet so you can definitely try.

Offline Kad

• Δ E S T H E T I C S
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 21:26:02 »
This is more for others who may stumble upon this (as it seems OP has already found his match). There is a massdrop going on for the slightly more muted pastel rainbow set and it's fairly inexpensive as well.

[WASD v2 w/ MX Blues]

Offline Kola93

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 03:00:37 »
If you are interested in rainbow keyboards, and are unsure about keycap materials, there is also one made in POM.

I believe they call it "rainbow jelly POM" keycaps. The typing feel of those are amazing. ^-^

Offline HekusuTekusu

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:59:05 »
This is more for others who may stumble upon this (as it seems OP has already found his match). There is a massdrop going on for the slightly more muted pastel rainbow set and it's fairly inexpensive as well.

I got the npkc blanks rainbow set form the last drop and I really enjoy the pastel colours. It's pretty awesome if you enjoy pastel colours.

If you are interested in rainbow keyboards, and are unsure about keycap materials, there is also one made in POM.

I believe they call it "rainbow jelly POM" keycaps. The typing feel of those are amazing. ^-^

And since before I got the pbt rainbow I've always been interested in POM caps, really want to feel the materials as I type but I actually stopped myself from entering feng's GB. I knew I would regret it cause now I want a set. Probably gonna try another way through qtan.
| Das 3 Ult MX BRW | PokerII MX BLK | KUL-ES87 MX CLR | Planck MX GRE | HHKB Pro JP |  CPSQ-1800 GAT BLK | HHKB Pro 2 | NYM96 GAT RED |

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:20:55 »
erased
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:22:26 by Giorgio »